Video Tata Sky Black STB with component out

tusharch

Disciple
There is a thread on saveondish website which talks about new Tata Sky digicomp (not SKy+) with component output. This is a big plus point for LCD TV owners.

Can anyone confirm the availability of this STB in MUmbai. An electronics salesman told me that they have started offering these STB's, but I could not locate them in any shop / store. Helpline is as usual useless.

well big tv and sun dth already have component out in their STB for well over a year now.they also use MPEG4.TS still uses MPEG2 transmission and TS+ STB already has a component out and MPEG4 ready.

Can confirm, just got another tatasky box to set up multiroom, and it was this new Mpeg4 box with component out.

Makes me wonder TS is planning the shift to Mpeg4 soon, as i hear the old Silver TataSky box has been discontinued, and with their Diwali TataSky+ offer thing going on, they are trying to woo old STB customers to switch to the Mpeg4 + box. That just reduces the amount of STB's they'll have to replace once they go mpeg4

Ohwell, heres hoping.

Powersurge said:
Can confirm, just got another tatasky box to set up multiroom, and it was this new Mpeg4 box with component out.

Makes me wonder TS is planning the shift to Mpeg4 soon, as i hear the old Silver TataSky box has been discontinued, and with their Diwali TataSky+ offer thing going on, they are trying to woo old STB customers to switch to the Mpeg4 + box. That just reduces the amount of STB's they'll have to replace once they go mpeg4

Ohwell, heres hoping.

well thats the general idea,make as many customers to shift to a newer mpeg 4 capable stb.

^ i dont think they will replace. more likely they might push firmware updates if the old stb chips can handle mpeg4

Who needs mpeg4 apart from TS themselves. Wont it just mean more compression for them than actually better quality?

sarang said:
Who needs mpeg4 apart from TS themselves. Wont it just mean more compression for them than actually better quality?
I think the issue here is that all providers may be compelled to provide mpeg4 compatibility to enable interoperability of STBs.

Emil said:
I think the issue here is that all providers may be compelled to provide mpeg4 compatibility to enable interoperability of STBs.

Interoperability is welcome :)

More compression -> more loss not so welcome.

Rave said:
well as and when the shift happens, will the old stb be replaced without any extra cost?

well not sure whats the current number of subscribers,but it will cost a lot a lot to replace the existing STBs.but eventualy i think they will replace it for free.the new stbs are even DVB-S2 capable only airtel dth,sun HD dth stbs are DVB-S2.
TS also have about 50% more transponders,so if they move to mpeg4 they can offer more channels,may be even HD or even current channels with better quality.

i just got a black dabba from tata sky...i specifically asked for it after i read online that it's got component output....

well, there's a perceptible difference in image quality due to the component cables, and there is very little pixelation on my 32" panny x10...am not very sure about mpeg4, but component video definitely makes a difference on an SD connection

an123 said:
i just got a black dabba from tata sky...i specifically asked for it after i read online that it's got component output....

well, there's a perceptible difference in image quality due to the component cables, and there is very little pixelation on my 32" panny x10...am not very sure about mpeg4, but component video definitely makes a difference on an SD connection

If u r from /around Mumbai region, can you please give me the details of Store/shop form where you bought it & the price.

i ordered it thru the tatasky call center...as this dabba is to be used with the multiroom digicomp scheme, which can't be bought at a shop

build quality is much better than the older one, and remote is smaller in size too. also, the remote response has improved marginally...not sure if this is becoz of it being new or due to some RF/IR thingie

bought gold plated component cables of bandridge brand, and image quality went up several notches (of course, it's nothing compared to HD...but does makes standard SD tv watchable on a larger resolution screen)

Why you guys thing component will make any things better ? They will increase quality which you cant feel for that matter...But this wont make your TV have HD signals from the STB ..neither the aspect ratio will be 16:9....Picture will be anyday unscaled to match the LCD resolution and TV watchin will be always pix-elated..

If you guys check the back of the STB of TATA Sky

You will notice that there is a provision to just put in the card excatly like a pci slot or something.

I guess they will have to spend a small amount just to install that card system.

They willl not replace the entire set of STB's

coolraghav said:
Why you guys thing component will make any things better ? They will increase quality which you cant feel for that matter...But this wont make your TV have HD signals from the STB ..neither the aspect ratio will be 16:9....Picture will be anyday unscaled to match the LCD resolution and TV watchin will be always pix-elated..

Dear Raghav,

Component output gives 10% - 15% better quality over composite & there is a noticeable difference. I have seen it myself.

It is obvious that aspect ratio depends upon broadcast & not the type of output from STB.

Back