Video Tata Sky HD - Policy change from 8.10.2012

^^ no reshuffling of bundles, its clearly a ripoff, ask any current tata sky HD user, most are not feeling the pinch now but they will realize it after 8th october.

Yes....this new policy is complete rip off and yes every dth operator will follow the same course as matter of time.

By doing this (I hate to say) why just they don't increase the priced of HD pack ? Or introduce separate version of HD Pack ? Like many member here I never watched Z,Sony.Star plus HD channels. Never.

As a user POV I only support if they HD access charge lower into 50 p.m. then it is justified.

Is this new policy to cover their new satellite setup cost ?

swordfish123 said:
Yes. But Tata Sky doesn't put it that way. They say there is no more HD Gold Pack. Instead pay Rs.100 pm as HD access charge.

BTW I'm also TS HD+ user from past 2 years.

all metros will have a STB sooner or later, by then all cable operators will provide HD STB. they should be an option by then.ex: our local cable operator provides an HD STB for 3300 with 18HD channels free for the year. so monthly charges stand to be 300rs pm. is DTH cheaper than that when adding the HD pack?

Guess I'll just wait it out till the Digitization process becomes effective in the metros(31st October). Manthan Broadband Services(local MSO) offers a decent package in our area(suburbs of Kolkata). All imaginable SD channels @ Rs.160/- per month. They also have a HD STB on offer for Rs.2,999/-. They offer 3 HD channels (Disc HD, Nat Geo HD and Movies Now HD) for free in non-CAS zones and claim to have 22 HD channels on offer for Rs.5 each! Had a demo today and the HD channel IQ is at par with T-Sky, the SD transmission is definitely inferior though. However, once the digitization becomes effective, i doubt if they can keep up with such cheap rate. Anyways, T-Sky is definitely getting the boot post October.

^^ no reshuffling of bundles, it clearly a ripoff, ask any current tata sky HD user, most are not feeling the pinch now but they will realize it after 8th october.

Hypothetically, keeping all you have right now and your choice of HD channels + RS.100 over head, how much extra would you be shelling out, per month. Would it be like 500-600 extra.

Hypothetically, keeping all you have right now and your choice of HD channels + RS.100 over head, how much extra would you be shelling out, per month. Would it be like 500-600 extra.

Well in my case its Rs.74/- as mentioned in OP. However, even that much is a rip-off as you are not being provided with anything extra(content) for the additional sum. More so, as only 10 HD channels are on offer including irrelevant ones like ZEE HD, Sony HD, STAR PLUS HD and now the upcoming COLORS HD! :facepalm:
And if they can get away with this action of charging extra without providing any extra benefits or services, they'll surely try something similar again.

the hd gold pack costs 100 per mo. now they just renamed it to hd access fee keeping same old price. the only difference would be that previously hd gold pack owners like me who did not subscribe to all channels could get to see channels in hd version if they were included in the hd gold pack. I could also see some other hd channels like ten sports hd when it would be available.

How much extra would people end up paying?
Take my example - i dont subscribe to english movies or eng entertainment packs. the hd gold pack has star world hd and star movies hd, and i could watch them. now they have made these hd channels parts of the a la carte packages and so to view them i would have to subscribe to those two packages. i thought i could subscribe to individual channels (according to their make my channel package) but remembered that if we are subscribed to base packs (like mega pack or supreme sports etc) then we can only subscribe to whole a la carte package instead of individual channels from the packages. this was told to me by a tatasky cc.
So i'd end up paying 55 for eng ent.pack + 60 for eng movies pack = 105 rupees more per month over and above what i'm paying now, just to watch two channels in HD which i used to get as part of the hd pack.

First of all Tata sky was never a VFM( value for money) choice as it was the most expensive option along with the least number of channels, a unique combination :)
Only those who preferred the better customer care,service etc of tata sky went for this option and VFM seekers used to go with other providers, this is the present situation.

Now, after 8th october, they are further increasing the price in a unique way which will result in substantial percentage increase in the customers bill, so that they can improve the ARPU(Average revenue per user).

Let us see some billing details now:

Present billing/month: south sports pack(Rs.155) + HD gold pack(Rs.100)= Rs.255

After 8th oct, billing/month: South sports pack(Rs.155)+ HD access fee(Rs.100)+ subscribing individual channels which will be missing now(Rs.120) = Rs. 375

This is an approximate increase of 50% in billing per month.

This is an approximate increase of 50% in billing per month.

Okay, bro, got it. Yea, you are being ripped off. Sorry to agree, but ya. Actually I am quite lost in this, cause I just have a normal DishTV DTH, and have not upgraded to HD channels even though I have a 40 inch - Sony EX520....! I just switch it on, when guests come over. Best of luck, with your new STB.

:)

First of all, My Tata Sky HD is hell laggy and slow. I was planning to move to other provider and this makes sure that I am going to do that.

They haven't informed if HD access fees are one time or monthly. If that is monthly, then this is a definite rip off :-(

Good bye Tata Sky HD. I never had a good time with your service (LAGGY AS HELL)

all metros will have a STB sooner or later, by then all cable operators will provide HD STB. they should be an option by then.ex: our local cable operator provides an HD STB for 3300 with 18HD channels free for the year. so monthly charges stand to be 300rs pm. is DTH cheaper than that when adding the HD pack?

Yup, the cable operators will soon give tough competition to DTH providers, already hathway has good plans, for 6.5k you get the HD box+ 1 year all SD channels+ all HD channels, not to forget that hathway has the most number of true HD channels in india(24 channels), so for approx 290/month they are giving the most number of channels.

First of all, My Tata Sky HD is hell laggy and slow. I was planning to move to other provider and this makes sure that I am going to do that.

They haven't informed if HD access fees are one time or monthly. If that is monthly, then this is a definite rip off :-(

Good bye Tata Sky HD. I never had a good time with your service (LAGGY AS HELL)

HD access fees should be paid every month, refer to my calculation above for details.

Yup, the cable operators will soon give tough competition to DTH providers, already hathway has good plans, for 6.5k you get the HD box+ 1 year all SD channels+ all HD channels, not to forget that hathway has the most number of true HD channels in india(24 channels), so for approx 290/month they are giving the most number of channels.

HD access fees should be paid every month, refer to my calculation above for details.

This is complete rip off. We have to pay 100rs/month plus subscribe to all those channels as well. I will loose ESPN HD, Star Cric HD and Star World HD then :-@ moving to Videocon D2H now

People who own the Tata sky HD+. When you didn't to something new like videocon, don't waste the 500 gb hdd inside the box. Open it up and use it on your pc.

I'm shifting to videocom once my recharge gets over.

Whatever these companies do ! the main and disturbing thing is that in India they are charging more than the world if we compare the average monthly income with the developed world.

thjat gives me a tension and a headache as I am doubtful what will happen in the future.

It is getting sad day by day

This is a big rip off :(

I am on airtel DTH still no such events on it right now, but now I am scared if this happens, as I am in Non metro city will have to wait till the complete digitization of cable happens here and then will switch,

may switch to videocon D2H, right now protected of price rise due to long term yearly package activation done already, will see and decide then what to do.

as such airtel has more content than Tatasky but its costlier than Tatasky.

Whatever these companies do ! the main and disturbing thing is that in India they are charging more than the world if we compare the average monthly income with the developed world.thjat gives me a tension and a headache as I am doubtful what will happen in the future.It is getting sad day by day

i for one am better off without cable tv. i do not depend on it for my dose of entertainment(internet helps me out here). news(paid news) on cable are not worth watching.

the only thing i depend is live sports which again if i get better broadband in my locality i can do away with that too.

i believe having earned huge sums of money from individual subscribers and advertisers alike, it is the responsibility of the service provider to provide us a STB free of cost. but they are trying to extract money from the consumer in every possible way.

even though i am living in a metro, i will be the last person to do an upgrade to a STB.

if it was not for my mom who depends on the daily dose of BS with their saas-bahu serials , i would have probably disconnected our cable connection long time back. :)

pardon me for too many i's :p

colours hd came and star plus and movies went. seems hbo will come in hd soon too. cc talking to me, wanted me to spend 105 extra a month for watching 2 hd channels (by subscribing to eng ent + movies), saying i'd get sd channels extra. i said i'll buy those packs when hd channels in them outnumber sd channels. lolz.

How many HD channels are actually there in tata sky hd? aren't all channels upscaled to hd now? on their site, i am seeing various categories of english, english entertainment, sports bonanza.. hbo and sony pix aren't hd now?

no upscaled channels on tatasky. all are true hd. some hd channels do run some upscaled programs which you can make out by the partially stretched people in them. like simpson's, how i met your mother etc.
total of 11 hd channels - Star Plus, Star Gold, Sony, Zee Tv, Colours, Star World, Star Movies, ESPN, Star Cricket, National Geographic, Discovery Channel.
HBO HD might come. Sony Pix in HD comes when matches are there on it. Like IPL etc. Likewise Ten Sports HD comes if India plays some cricket match and Ten Sports is broadcasting it.

After some channels went off since 8th of this month as notified earlier by tata sky ,I am shocked today by the message they have sent me today :O

Dear Subscriber,you may have missed some HD channels since yesterday.Apologies for the inconvenience.You should be able to get the channels back in 24 hours.

Cant believe that they have done this only in 2 days really.I think they are facing strong criticism during the meantime so they have decided to back off and again consumer wins against a complete RIP OFF by Tata Sky. :bigok:

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked all the missing channels again and they are all back :yahoo:

Back