Video Tata Sky HD - Policy change from 8.10.2012

mithun

Adept
Hello,
Just received a call from Tata Sky executive regarding an unpleasant change to their HD channel package policy which according to the executive will be put on effect from 8th of October.
As per the new policy, to view HD channels, you will have to subscribe to the same SD channel. For example, if you are not subscribed to ESPN or STAR CRICKET SD, the corresponding HD counterparts would not be available to you. Same goes for Star World HD. This is applicable for all HD channels individually, though crap like Sony HD, Zee HD, Colors HD will be covered by the base pack we already pay for.
This means, that now, to view STAR CRICKET/ESPN/STAR WORLD in HD you will have to dish out Rs.20(for * world) + Rs.25(for *cricket) + Rs.29(for ESPN) = Rs.74/- per month extra over and above the Rs.100 we already pay for the HD Gold pack. If you are not subscribed to the SD English movies pack, you lose out on STAR MOVIES HD and upcoming MOVIES NOW HD as well.
I for one, found the scheme to be unjust. Why would I have to pay for the SD counterpart for the same channel for which i'm paying for HD? Tata Sky's rampant upward price revisions have got onto me now. During the 20 months of usage, there has already been an increase in tariff of Rs.65/- per month for the package i have subscribed. Guess it is high time to consider switching operators or moving back to the stone age cablewallah connection which, by the way, provides 3 HD channels in Non-CAS zones and works out at less that 50% cost with almost 3 time the number of channels. The 500GB HDD should be enough compensation for the Rs.3,999 i paid for the HD+ STB.
The sad part is that i really liked the quality STB and remote, transmission and service quality on offer.

I would like to know fellow TEians take on this.

Thanks.

I received a call too, they were stating the same thing. I was on my way , so couldnt properly understand what he was saying. Now i understand after seeing your message. It is really bad to pay for SD channels to view the same channel in HD, why do we need same channles with different quality. Can some one confirm if there is similar change in Airtel or Reliance.

They are just in it for the money, try to make more money out of it. I am thinking of deactivating the HD pack the way prices are going up for everything.

I haven't got any call regarding this. But if this is true then I am telling the guy who calls me to cancel my HD subscription. Why the hell do they have a separate HD package if they want us to buy the same sd channel. What were they really thinking.

EDIT:
After reading this on other forums i think i get what Tata Sky is trying to do. We have a pay a HD access charge. Not sure how much, not sure if it is one time or monthly. After this we have to subscribe for the Sd channel. You will automatically get the corresponding HD channel. There will no longer be a HD package. Now if this HD access charge is Rs 100 per month then its a complete rip off.

Haven't got a call regarding this yet. give me some questions to ask which you guys didnt get to ask, so i can ask everything to the cc person.
why should we subscribe to low quality sd channels? this is so stupid. people are only going to run to other companies if they do this.

QKfEy.jpg

What Crap? I stopped watching Tv because of these buggers. These Guys know how to attract the consumers and how to bang them badly. Considering they have a Good amount of Technicians and Call Center Support The present policies are Not Surprising.. However these changes are to maintain Good profits and to please the investors.
I would be No Surprised if the pack which i bought in 2010 Which costed me 150 Would cost me 300 in Next year.

If anyone's Following that GSAT10 Satellite thing, which is going to be useful for Tata sky. What's this about? Can anyone explain?

Reading the OPs first post I was thinking how could they do this. This is unfair and the TRAI would not allow this. But after reading the TATA sky announcement posted above which explains it in their words I must applause at their brilliance of pulling out a legally correct way of charging the customer more for same services.

I dont know which city the OP is from but cable walas are not at all stone age now a days.
I stay in Pune and the ICC cable wala here has a entirely FTTB network. He has more than 250 channels with 5-6 his local channels and all are in digital quality. Many with dual audio. (I have a STB).
They also have HD and DVR services but I have not opted for them. I just pay Rs337/month for all this.
No charge for STB.
They also provide internet over their FTTB currently with Sify and Pacenet.
Similar is the situation with B'lore cable operators.
Try giving ur local cable guy a try if you are from one of the major cities. These guys have improved a lot.
And for some reason I was never a fan of DTH coz they have so much signal issues and you always have to pay for service. There is some new shit coming every 6 months and your old stuff is just junk. Neither does the DTH operator buys back the old stuff nor can you upgrade it OTA.

@onlyravi Right on Spot. My Cablewala isn't the one who want to make his customer's happy. I have been dying to get an STB from past 6months.
He just collects his 200Rupees Monthly Bill and Gets away. I would be Happy even if my LCO charges some 350Bucks and Gives me all the channels with decent Service.

I can't afford to pay 550Bucks for all the channels on my TS Connection. :(

woah, wonder which guy came up with this plan to extract around 100 bucks extra from subscribers. damn tatasky.

i wonder what happens to people like me who paid for a year in advance for the channels? just recently there was a price hike in hd packages, but we were not affected. The ad above clearly says price protection upto 6 months only, whereas previously it was till end of term ex. like 1 year. and i've only subscribed to the supreme sports kids pack. so that means after oct 7th, i wont get star world and star movies? and to get these channels i would have to subscribe to star world and star movies channels - around 40 bucks extra a month (or 125+ i guess if going for all eng + movie channels). i wont pay extra for these channels.

I do not wont to subscribe to those channels anyway. too many self promos in them. all they show are sd material upscaled and stretched badly in star world. star movies is a bit decent, but i can live without these channels.

Videocon D2H :yahoo:

They will also do it. Just a matter of time and Customer base. they stand at 6.2million and Tata sky at 10million and even Airtel DTH at 10million.
Haven't heard anyone using Airtel DTH in the Recent times. May be they got ripped off just like in Broadband.

I am beginning to feel.. that goons have realised how to suck the blood of the common man while taking advantage of a 'system' by getting in them earlier than the sane people.
Be it politics, mobile phone connection, internet, television or the basic amenities ofc.

I have thier Mega Pack Subscription due sometime in March next year. Hopefully by then some sense would have prevailed.

Not using Tata Sky, but were you not all paying separate for HD. Now I guess you pay just for SD + RS.100 and watch all the HD (bundled with the SD), you want. Is this not cheaper. How much were you all paying for HD. It depends how many channels one has.

Example:

1. * Plus. (SD RATE)
2. NAT GEO (SD RATE)
3. SONY (SD RATE)
4. RS 100

VS.

1. * Plus. (OLD HD RATE)
2. NAT GEO (OLD HD RATE)
3. SONY (OLD HD RATE)

Of the two groups, which is cheaper. Would it not be beneficial when large bundles of channels are subscribed.

So is it rule from TRAI ?

So anyone want ESPN HD, and his base pack don't cover ESPN but he subscribed HD Gold Pack, he can't eligible to watch ESPN HD unless he subscribed ESPN SD right ?

So, for that fella, Base Pack + HD Gold Pack + ESPN SD as la carte = subscribed = OK. Eligible.

Please confirm......

For me atleast it will get more expensive. I had not subscribed for sports SD pack as they are expensive. I used to get ESPN and Star Cricket HD as part of my HD package. Now i have to subscribe sports SD.

No point in changing DTH operators. Soon everyone will follow the same policy. We just have to get used to paying more money for DTH.

This is actually good when there are lot of HD channels. You can choose your HD channel according to your preference. Earlier i never used to watch Star Plus, Star Gold, Zee HD. But got them since they were part of HD package

- - - Updated - - -

So is it rule from TRAI ?

So anyone want ESPN HD, and his base pack don't cover ESPN but he subscribed HD Gold Pack, he can't eligible to watch ESPN HD unless he subscribed ESPN SD right ?

So, for that fella, Base Pack + HD Gold Pack + ESPN SD as la carte = subscribed = OK. Eligible.

Please confirm......

Yes. But Tata Sky doesn't put it that way. They say there is no more HD Gold Pack. Instead pay Rs.100 pm as HD access charge.

Not using Tata Sky, but were you not all paying separate for HD. Now I guess you pay just for SD + RS.100 and watch all the HD (bundled with the SD), you want. Is this not cheaper. How much were you all paying for HD. It depends how many channels one has.

Example:

1. * Plus. (SD RATE)
2. NAT GEO (SD RATE)
3. SONY (SD RATE)
4. RS 100

VS.

1. * Plus. (OLD HD RATE)
2. NAT GEO (OLD HD RATE)
3. SONY (OLD HD RATE)

Of the two groups, which is cheaper. Would it not be beneficial when large bundles of channels are subscribed.

No, it wont be beneficial for most as everyone is subscribing some base pack(packages are cheaper than individual channels)+ HD pack but now its going to be base pack+ individual channels you want for HD+ HD access fee, so its a massive rip-off, check out this package lists then you will know the reason for outrage: DTH India | Digital TV | DTH Packages

i am planning for videocon D2H as its much cheaper and has more than double HD channels(22 HD channels vs tata sky 10): http://www.videocond2h.com/WSC/packages.aspx

^^
But have they reshuffled the bundles when this new scheme came out. I still really do not see this as being a massive rip off.

Back