TE Laptop Guide Dec 09

Not considering turion based. They consume more power than the intel based ones and also less powerful and produces more heat. Intel has had a distinct upper hand in the laptop market even from the early pentium M and celeron days. have seen many of my friends AMD laptops turning into fireball and going kaput. I am not ready to recommend them. This is reflected in the market sales too. More than 85% of the laptops have a intel processor.

wowowo karthi

Not considering turion based. They consume more power than the intel based ones and also less powerful and produces more heat. Intel has had a distinct upper hand in the laptop market even from the early pentium M and celeron days. have seen many of my friends AMD laptops turning into fireball and going kaput. I am not ready to recommend them. This is reflected in the market sales too. More than 85% of the laptops have a intel processor.

i was thnkin to buy it in a few days

should i drop it now

man u really put me in thinking now:no:

ocizer said:
where did hp go 35-45k

HP Pavilion DV6-2005AX Price in India
is this not available now or is the price quote wrong

wat say?

Notebookcheck: Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist
Chk this link
Even the Pentium Dual core T-4200 > AMD Turion II M500 Processor.
The heating issues make have got better now with the TurionII processors(45nm). Personally havent used one with AMD Turion II Processor. But performance wise intel mobile processors rules :bleh: It will hard to spot AMD processors in the top-100.

ocizer said:
that benchmarks makes me cold inside

so wont that proccy bottleneck hd4650:(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notebookcheck: Acer Aspire 5738G
u posted it with a wrong graphics adapter:p

is it a typo or is it available with that card also:S

Took the config from delta peripherals :D Guess the one they retail has the HD4570 for 40-41k.
Anyways the HD4570 > G105M :)

Excellent guide buddy. Just in time as i need to buy a laptop in next 2 days.

I have a doubt - my budget is approx 35K. And the lappy will be mainly used for CorelDraw & Photoshop work (no gaming at all).

Will the X4500 be enough for it??

And I have seen an AMD Model at 38K with HD4570. What do u have to say about laptops with AMD processors ??

Karthi007 said:
Notebookcheck: Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist
Chk this link
Even the Pentium Dual core T-4200 > AMD Turion II M500 Processor.
The heating issues make have got better now with the TurionII processors(45nm). Personally havent used one with AMD Turion II Processor. But performance wise intel mobile processors rules :bleh: It will hard to spot AMD processors in the top-100.
as he already said check those benchmarks
even im confused with it:huh:

Thanks Karthi007 for such a comprehensive guide. It is great help to see the comparison side by side. The best guide available right now for laptops :hap2:

@X-Rebel - Get the Acer 5738G if u need a GPU for 40k. It has a HD 4570. Else stick to the dell inspiron 15-35k or acer 5738-32-33k. both similar specs.

@Ocizer - There may be many GPU models in Acer 5738G. For eg. u can get inspiron 15 with many configs with or without a GPU. Similar to that. Its not illegal. A retailer cant change the GPU of a laptop :p The acer india site says the Acer5738G has a GPU but doesnt mention which GPU :mad:

Sorry to say that you missed the plot here completely. You have mostly talked about Intel G4500 in IGP and then graphic cards in higher budgets. Laptops are to be choosen based on better IGPs and not graphic cards or processors, RAM, HDD etc . Having a separate graphic cards will induce heating problems as well increase the overall cost. There is no regret in conceding that AMD 780G in far superior/stable & cheaper than Intel G4500. Dell and Sony were paid by Intel to sell only their processors and that crapy IGP of Intel G4500. Since they felt left out of the late, due to the huge success of AMD 690 & 780G chipsets, they started adding ATI graphic cards to their laptops not to be left behind in race for RED at much higher cost. Also piggybacking vista or window 7. Thus the Monopoly case against Intel.

A model from Compaq (CQ45 102AU or something like that) is available for less than 30,000, which has ATI HD 3200 IGP (AMD 780 chip). Moreover, it is without any OS forced upon, so allows you to choose for open source OS or buy windows.

It is strange tht this laptop is nowhere in your guide, where as this one will simply be the topper in low and mid range. Price /performance ratio wis it should be topper in all segments.

Many like me, don't like companies to manipulate and force us to buy certain products only. I would never go for a product from company which is monopolistic ie which only makes laptops of one brand i.e. with Blue (intel), Green (Nvidia), Red (ATI AMD). Presently I would only look at Compaq, which has intel, AMD ATI, Nvidia models all together and more over choice for open source OS.

Sony and Dell big NO. Acer I think has NVidia & Intel IGP but ATI missing there also. Dell has got some AMD models, but IGP is too old of nVidia 6100. That is delebrate attempt to show AMD lappys as bad. It has come out now, and everyone knows reason that Intel paying Dell to portray AMD's laptops as bad by configuration itself.

Ultimate looser customer, who end up buying crapy intel IGP from GMA 945 to G4500 at much higher costs, and those are good only for office work. Now a days there is little bit of gaming & HD play even in lower & moderate end laptops, which Intel 945, G31, G35 etc can not handle. Though Intel G4500 is little better tha its previous avtar but still way behind nVidia & ATI, needs atleast 10 yrs to catch on with green & Red. Price/Performance ratio wise, Intel is way behind ATI AMD.

Results are there to see Asus, MSI & HP have released new netbooks in 12.1" segment with AMD Athlon Neo X2 processor and AMD ATI 690G, 760G & 780G chipset which have ATI RX 1250, HD2100, & HD3200 IGPs. They are in the range of 30,000 - 35,000 but Windows 7 is forced upon.

Some of my friend has mentioned about Pentium Dual Core. It is for your Info that they are known as certified "Tandoors". They run very very hot. I have no hesitation in admitting that Core 2 Duo processors are little better than X2 of AMD. Little better by few seconds and the cost diffeence is huge. It is your choice that for doing eg a encoding job you will finish 20 seconds earlier in Intel proccy but you pay 3000 extra for that. That is old story now. It was because of higher L2 cache of intel. AMD archiecture did not allow them to immediately upgrade L2 cache. Now Athlon II & Phenom has L3 cache @ 7 MB and just for Rs 5000, whereas corresponding intel with 6-7 MB cache is at Rs 8500. Now both have 45nm processors and both runs much cooler. I feel AMD with Q n Q is much cooler on ATI IGP than Nvidia and certainly less than intel with Q N Q.

There was no requiremnt for you to mention the after sales & build quality of HP & Compaq. It is otherway arround. They are the best in after sales and available very nook and corner. Their market share is much more than anyone else. HP is costly but Compaq is value for money.

Ofcourse without ATI IGP and new lappys from Asus, MSI & HP, this guide is incomplete. HP has DV2 model with ATI HD 3200 IGP & AMD Athlon Neo X2 processor, which consumes power as low as Atom processor but faster and X2 processor. That is going to be future and Intel has to upgrade atom a bit in speed & to 2 cores and pair it with G4500 instead of present GMA 945 but same time control power consumption either at present 12 watts or contain it within 15-18 Watts as of AMD Athlon Neo.

It must be remembered that in case of laptops, there is no need to indulge in speedy processors, enhancing their L2 or L3 chache to 4-6 MB is better option. Speed arround 1.5 to 2 Ghz is enough, beyond that power cnsumption will increase. They are under pressure to design green processors as you all know of Copenhagen, global warming etc.

Karthi007 said:
You are comparing two ultra portable ( 13.3") vs 2 normal ones (14")
P 8700- 25wTDP, 1066FSB, 3MB cache, 2.53GHz
T 6500- 35wTDP, 800FSB, 2MB cache, 2.1GHz
Choose from the 13.3" lappies as it is more portable and no discrete GPU.
:huh: can you tell me in simple terms which processor is best... also 13.3 shows a battery life of 4 hrs... is it true???

and what does 320GB*4 means? and also upgradeable up to 8GB*3 means??? basically *3/4 means what?

spawnfreak said:
:huh: can you tell me in simple terms which processor is best... also 13.3 shows a battery life of 4 hrs... is it true???

and what does 320GB*4 means? and also upgradeable up to 8GB*3 means??? basically *3/4 means what?

VGN-SR53GF : SR Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India
Check this link. They are disclaimers. If its a business lappy and will be carried aroud a lot then 13.3" makes more sense.
The P8700 is a better processor.
But that doesnt matter much for your office usage.
Do some googling and read some reviews before actually buying one.

Guys.. may be its not fair to leave zenith out of the pack, ive a croma (rebranded zenith) with C2D T6400 and 9600M GS, and Ive got what i paid for... Ive played Dead Space, DMC4, GTAIV, Crysis Warhead, Grid, Riddick, Prototype, and CoJ Bound in Blood at low - mid settings without any hiccups.. and it came for 40K.. 6 mnths bk...

Back