TE PC Buying Guide - August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TE - PC Buying Guide Nov' 11

vivek.krishnan said:
Yeah, high time now.

Anyways, seeing that some of the requirements are for NAS devices, I would suggest to add that too as a category. Might save a few postings, lesser load on server.

My suggestion would be a Atom based D525, the board being this : GIGABYTE - Motherboard - BGA 559 - GA-D525TUD (rev. 1.x), as it has 4 sata ports, enough for most of us people who are starting to build one, pricing @ 4.4K is good with gigabit LAn support. For those on a tighter budget the 425 board which asingh has reviewed is good.

OS of choice would be FreeNAS, Ubuntu Server (inputs from rahul on that), and for those comfortable working with Windows, who need W7 specific features, Windows Home Server.

RAM mostly value RAM from Transcend/Corsair/Kingston, etc.

PSU, this should be a good 80 plus one as the machine runs for a lot of time, leading to each watt saved being useful. But nothing more than 350W~400W.

Cabinet, I have no idea on this one, will prefer one like the bijli as it has a fan to cool the HDDs.

HDD/ODD ~ Depending on your deployment.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sure, mate!

Have to read up a bit on that. Busy till December 2nd. Expect a price update, slight config modifications to fit in specific budget and possibly a NAS system in the Dec 3 - Dec 4 weekend. (So that will be the December PC Guide)

Hey guys Bulldozer is available in lamington road, Mumbai.. I have seen few peoples purchasing it in prime... And on display in couple of stores.....

Hey guys,

I dint wanna start a separate thread for this, but I am getting the upgrade itch, looking at the 2500k+p67+6950 2gb+ 8gb 1600. The requirement will be to game at my monitors native resolution, HD movies and the usual. I am not totally abreast with the latest platforms and timelines for the new ones. I know Sandy Bridge-E just released, and it doesnt make sense for my requirement.

So, my questions:

1) I hear Ivy Bridge will launch by Q1 2012 and is about 60% faster than SB, is it worth waiting for IB?

2) GPU upgrade, when exactly will the next gen of GPUs be launched?

Thanks in advance.

Re: TE - PC Buying Guide Nov' 11

DarkAngel said:
Have to read up a bit on that. Busy till December 2nd. Expect a price update, slight config modifications to fit in specific budget and possibly a NAS system in the Dec 3 - Dec 4 weekend. (So that will be the December PC Guide)

Thanks mate, would just mention this, make 2 DIY NAS solutions, one with atom 525 for those who are going to use upto 4 ports, and a SNB/Brazos one for those needing the extra SATA ports ~ 6/8, whatever is the max amount.

As always, thanks!

Planning to upgrade Ivy Bridge next year.

DDR3 RAM prices are very attractive right now. Would it make sense to buy DDR3 RAM right now in anticipation for upgrade next year.

Media reports hint at RAM IC production cut to boost prices.

Kuantum said:
Planning to upgrade Ivy Bridge next year.

DDR3 RAM prices are very attractive right now. Would it make sense to buy DDR3 RAM right now in anticipation for upgrade next year.

Media reports hint at RAM IC production cut to boost prices.

Then its time for me to stockpile on some few hundred GB of RAM sticks, who knows it might go up like in case of HDD's? I'll make a killing!

JK, I don't think they will do it.

Pricing mentioned by article is as low as $50 per 8GB

newegg pricing for 8GB (2x4GB) starts at $30 already. How low can it drop to ??

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, 8GB (2 x 4GB)

?dOuBtFiRe? said:
Go through this article from Vr-Zone

Exceleram Lowers The Bar With 8GB DDR3 Module Pricing by VR-Zone.com

Do you think the prices will go down, today you get a 4GB DDR3 @ 1500....Guess you end up getting 8GB DDR3 soon at the same price. WTG industry.

Kuantum, dude you are talking about 4gb Sticks, while the article refers to 8gb sticks.

Also the price in newegg will be as a result of black friday/nov sales.

Demand for single 8GB stick configurations is very small compared to let's say 2x4GB or 4x4GB market. It still remains an enthusiast sector.

Desktop System builders would mostly build with dual channel configuation in mind. So 2x2GB, 2x4GB makes sense or in case of quad channel 4x2GB or 4x4GB configuations.

Even 4x4GB is cheaper compared to 2x8GB . According to the article single stick 8GB price is expected to come down. News coming out of Korea already hint at tight supply for 8GB stick. So expect the price to decrease very slowly over the next 6 months. Unless single 16GB comes out I don't see any price pressure on 8GB sticks. Only time will tell.

Sorry guys. Cant put up a updated guide this weekend as i promised earlier. But will put it up in a week's time (12th or 13th Dec) No more delays.

DarkAngel said:
Apologies for the delay. New guide will be up before Saturday. Have some free time this weekend. No more delays :)
sajitsm said:
Take your time... :)

We know we can always count on you to deliver

Yes, and you are doing a very nice service to the community......

Guys,

Have a question. I have an opportunity to get RAM from USA since my friend would be coming back in a week.

I am planning to get the below one. I am planning to build a test system with 16GB memory minimum on to z68 intel chipset. It would be used for my test lab using Virtualization(HyperV, VMWARE etc).

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Would be getting it for 30 dollars which is around INR 1600/- for an 8GB Kit from the above link.

Your inputs would be highly appreciated if it makes sence to get it from USA. Flipkart shows it for around 3450/- and primeabgb for 2800/-

Thanks,

tush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back