TE PC Buying Guide August 2012

That's what I was looking for. I am planning to buy a 1 TB (SATA 2 at my end :( ) in the next month or so hence asking. Thanx for sharing.

SATA II and SATA III are compatible, physical connectors are the same only thing to change is the bandwidth provided by the controller.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

SATA II and SATA III are compatible, physical connectors are the same only thing to change is the bandwidth provided by the controller.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Am I hearing that correct. I can put a SATA 3 HDD with a SATA 2 mobo and it will run without an issue (of course the speed will be less) but other than that it will work ? Please lemme know if this is correct ?

The SATA 3 is backward compatible upto SATA 1.5,So it'll work fine with Sata 2 Mobo.No worries.:)
Am I hearing that correct. I can put a SATA 3 HDD with a SATA 2 mobo and it will run without an issue (of course the speed will be less) but other than that it will work ? Please lemme know if this is correct ?

Excellent thread.Alpha17, you can even suggest a Laptop in the entry level configuration - I think it will make more sense. Until and unless someone into serious designing,mulitmedia editing etc, Laptop is a better options than a PC.There are plenty of duel core+2gb ddr3+500gb Hdd kind of setup available in the range of 20-25k.

Corsair GS 600 will cost 5k+/-

Problem is a lot of people expect a lot of different experiences from their devices.

Setup cost and availability of the components you earmarked is a prime factor, can you give me online links from where both these products can be bought @reasonable rates + shipping all over India. Maybe I will integrate the same if the pricing is decent and doesn't curtail any other peripherals from the build. Cheerio!

In my opinion ITX has matured a lot in the recent times. MSI has launched a Z77 motherboard for ITX (AnandTech - Two New Z77 mITX Announced), Bringing the latest ivy bridges to HTPCs

Asus F1A75 is great as it includes an excellent remote. It is available from the following and
Buy Asus F1A75-M Motherboard Online in India Best Price Best buy Deals Offers Discount Sale Shop Online
Asus F1A75-M motherboard prices, Shopping comparison for Asus F 1A 75 M, Buy online in India - ShopMania

For cabinet there are many options form Lian Li, Antec, but the cheapest one in Cooler Master with a lot of space for Hard Drives (3) and space for normal high-end graphics card. SMC International is the best place for CoolerMaster Cabinets.

Alpha,
Here are the price updates from Nehru Place :)

Ivy Bridge Processors

i3 3220 - 7300 (SMC), 7800 (Computer Empire), 7090 (Cost to Cost)
i5 3450 - 11500 (SMC), 11000 (Computer Empire), 10500 (Cost to Cost)
i5 3550 - 14500 (SMC), 12200 (Computer Empire), 11450 (Cost to Cost)
i7 3770 - 18500 (SMC), 18100 (Computer Empire), 17000 (Cost to Cost)

Hard Disk (Computer Empire)
500GB
3500 WD
3350 Toshiba
3550 Seagate

1TB
4500 Seagate/WD

2TB
6100 Seagate/WD

Cost to Cost Price-list -
Their new price-list (dated 22 September) was put up at the shop but rates were same as above.

Alpha,
I need your help.
I bought a used graphics card from fellow TE member drkrack a few days ago - Palit GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR5.
Since I have installed the card I have been getting BSOD. A blue DOS like screen pops up with some error momentarily before the system restarts on its own.
I had a 400W Zebronics PSU. I thought it might be the cause and replaced it with Corsair CX430 today.

However, the blue screen error continues. I am at a loss what to do :-(

My system configuration is as follows -

AMD Athlon II X2 240
Biostar TA785GE 128 MB Sideport
Kingston 2 GB DDR2 8ooMhz
Seagate 250GB SATAII 7200.12 Series
Sony DVD-RW
Corsair CX430 PSU

Any ideas?

Do few things,Try testing GPU at some friends house if he gets the BSOD then GPU is the issue,Another option is try different ram in your system and try starting system without the GPU.If you get Bsod then your ram is faulty.Also can you post error code of the BSOD it'll help determine the problem.
Alpha,
I need your help.
I bought a used graphics card from fellow TE member drkrack a few days ago - Palit GeForce GT 240 512MB GDDR5.
Since I have installed the card I have been getting BSOD. A blue DOS like screen pops up with some error momentarily before the system restarts on its own.
I had a 400W Zebronics PSU. I thought it might be the cause and replaced it with Corsair CX430 today.

However, the blue screen error continues. I am at a loss what to do :-(

My system configuration is as follows -

AMD Athlon II X2 240
Biostar TA785GE 128 MB Sideport
Kingston 2 GB DDR2 8ooMhz
Seagate 250GB SATAII 7200.12 Series
Sony DVD-RW
Corsair CX430 PSU

Any ideas?

Thank you Jakob!
I started memtest86 to test the ram. Second pass is going on and 300000 errors have been detected till now. My ram is faulty, right?

As for the error code - don't know, the blue screen only shows for 2 seconds. Should I attach the minidump log?

I do not have a second system, so won't be able to check the graphics card. However, I trust drkrack. He gave me his word that the card is in perfect working condition.

So try different ram and check,It's definitely ram since memtest is showing errors.
Thank you Jakob!
I started memtest86 to test the ram. Second pass is going on and 300000 errors have been detected till now. My ram is faulty, right?

As for the error code - don't know, the blue screen only shows for 2 seconds. Should I attach the minidump log?

I do not have a second system, so won't be able to check the graphics card. However, I trust drkrack. He gave me his word that the card is in perfect working condition.

Questions

Q: What is your budget?
50 k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

NEW ONE. I am first time getting it assembled.

CPU - Intel i53450/3550 or 3570
Motherboard - Intel DH77KC
GPU - NO
RAM -CORSAIR CORSAIR XMSS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR (Model No. CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)
Monitor - with IPS Panel
SMPS - Corsair
(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - IPS Panel
SMPS - Corsair CX500v2

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel i5 3450 or 3550 or 3570k

Motherboard - DH77KC

GPU - NO

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

NO ,I will NOT upgrade the following within ONE YEAR OR MORE
SMPS - 600W

Cabinet - COOLER MASTER 370 with 3.0 usb version

RAM - CORSAIR XMSS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR (Model No. CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
From Authorised shop , Nehru Place new Delhi

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

General working and little bit Gaming every thing Browsing, Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic

NO

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Normal

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

I dont' know
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Kindly help

Dear Alpha17

Kindly guide me accordingly. i need your valuable advice before i finalize the above mentioned configuration.

thanks
Harshit

- - - Updated - - -

Q: What is your budget?
50 k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

NEW ONE. I am first time getting it assembled.

CPU - Intel i53450/3550 or 3570
Motherboard - Intel DH77KC
GPU - NO
RAM -CORSAIR CORSAIR XMSS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR (Model No. CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)
Monitor - with IPS Panel
SMPS - Corsair

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - IPS Panel
SMPS - Corsair CX500v2

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel i5 3450 or 3550 or 3570k

Motherboard - DH77KC

GPU - NO

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

NO ,I will NOT upgrade the following within ONE YEAR OR MORE
SMPS - 600W

Cabinet - COOLER MASTER 370 with 3.0 usb version

RAM - CORSAIR XMSS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR (Model No. CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
From Authorised shop , Nehru Place new Delhi

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

General working and little bit Gaming every thing Browsing, Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic

NO

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Normal

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

I dont' know
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit

Kindly help

For Intel i5 3450 i'd suggest you to get Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k OR Intel DH77KC-7.5k,
The difference between H77 and B75 chipsets are-

• The H77 Chipset has more Sata 6GBPS,USB 3.0 and Esata ports than B75 chipset
  • Other than that there are no differences between them,The H77 chipsets are priced higher.
Hope this helps.:)
Which motherboard for i5 3450? What are the main advantages of H77 against B75 chipsets?

Back