TE PC Buying Guide March 2010

DevinWolf said:
Personally I don't care about Dx11 on ati cards ......... Almost nothing uses it and Hd5xxx series has a bug which limits its performance a lot at high resolutions due to Dx11 ....... I would rather go for a HD4850 for 1.5k less than HD5750 .......

yes......also u need W7 to run dx11........and visually ders not much difference b/w dx10 and dx11........its better to go for more powerful dx10 card

Ah, so it requires upto 65k to build a decent gaming that lasts for another 3-4 years :/ Sometimes I wonder if its really even worth buying a gaming PC (when you play games legit)as compared to consoles !

DevinWolf said:
Personally I don't care about Dx11 on ati cards ......... Almost nothing uses it and Hd5xxx series has a bug which limits its performance a lot at high resolutions due to Dx11 ....... I would rather go for a HD4850 for 1.5k less than HD5750 .......

draglord said:
yes......also u need W7 to run dx11........and visually ders not much difference b/w dx10 and dx11........its better to go for more powerful dx10 card

AFAIK according to reviews DX11 does looks promising. I guess you are not running the system still on Vista(DX10) and ppl can easily run Win7 even with a Gig of RAM(normal usage). Win7 is much better than Vista. As a gaming rig typically has 2-4 Gigs of RAM that shouldn't been an issue.

Aliens Vs Predator PC Game DX11 Performance Benchmarks - Aliens Vs. Predator - Legit Reviews
Plz go through the review. HD5750 is indeed capable of running games in DX11 at Full HD with decent frame rates. As most new titles from now on going the DX11 way, it does make some sense to consider a DX11 for a fresh rig.

But then not all have the same POV. :)

First off, excellent thread and thanks

Also, how come you've stuck with AMD cpu's for most of your lower end setups? I'm talkin the 65k and below ones. Do they offer good value for money? Are they easy to OC?
Thanks cause I want to get a PC soon and I dont know anything about AMD since Intels been the norm in my house :)

I want a config for a new PC, as i am upgrading my current PC config.

I have a moderate budget of around 15-18K in which i am looking for a good MOBO and a processor,
probably would prefer AMD, budget arround (7K)
A RAM of 4GB,
A 1 TB HDD,
A good Cabinet with power supply.
Thats it, rest i will be using from my old PC.
I would consider stretching my budget a bit.
I am planing to visit Lamington Road this Thursday or Friday,
So i need the latest update.
Thanks in Advance

For HTPC, is AMD Athlon II X2 240 right choice?

I am looking for a chip run cooler and can handle 1080p. absolutely hate it when machines makes loud noises. spoils the whole experience, you will hear the fan noise than sound from movies

Gaurish said:
For HTPC, is AMD Athlon II X2 240 right choice?

I am looking for a chip run cooler and can handle 1080p. absolutely hate it when machines makes loud noises. spoils the whole experience, you will hear the fan noise than sound from movies

I decided to go with the AthlonII as AMD boards have one of the best IGP's out there. But go thru what Shripad has posted.

Shripad said:
As this is going to be HTPC card, dont think anything cheap will do if you are going to watch SD or interlaced SD/HD videos.
You will run into problems with HD5570 and lower (entire last gen cheap cards as well as HD5450and 5570 and Nvidia's GT210 as well ) if you demand the card to have good de-interlacing performance which honestly is very very important.
You need something like HD5670 or GT220 for this. And trust me, you are better off investing little money now than to watch the garbage on that big screen. ANd while you are spending some money, get 5670 over GT220. It will offer you lot more options to tweak from CCC and has better video performance.

Do not skimp now and settle for something less. This will last you for a while. so get 5670 and be done with it.

Likes of 8400GS, GT210, HD4350, HD5450, 5570 are simply not powerful enough to handle these tasks effectively. And yes, there is significant impact on image quality. You will notice it immediately.
AnandTech: AMD?s Radeon HD 5450: The Next Step In HTPC Video Cards

So it would be better if you could go for a HD5670 if you want the best setup. Then u can go with the Intel E5xxx which runs cooler and quieter. :)

Can you give me some leads from where I can buy Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H or any other good substitute.
I'm planning to buy Ati-5670 so do I really need 785g based MB??

You posted the razer tarantula as a keyboard for the high end rig, is that keyboard even in production anymore because on the razer site they dont sell it. If it is avalible n India can you tell me where?

a suggestion about the board for the lowest end..

instead of m2n68 we may consider ASRock N68C-S ..the downside is that the board does not have solid caps for PWM..

pros: More Features for OC, 2 slots for DDR3 upto 1600MHz and 2 for DDR2 upto 1066MHz

great board feature wise.. used two of them recently for mid-level gaming builds on budget.

and for the people who like to gamble.. N68C-S UCC version will be out soon...it supports unlocking and should not cost more than 3k :)

the other board which i would recommend for quality..

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 ..740G + sb710 for revisions above 2.0 i suppose..

it costs ~2.7k and is a well built board.

DDR3 counter part of the same is GA-MA78LMT-S2

all of these are available in market.

one more reason why i would want to suggest against Asus is that they do not continue to provide support and Bios updates regularly once the product line is phased out..your board may be capable of supporting processors manufactured two years from present but chances are that asus may not have issue a bios update with cu microcode for the same.

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 ..740G + sb710
If this board is available with SB710 then it is great :) I also try to squeeze Biostar and Gigabyte mobos wherever possible as i personally feel Gigabyte ones have better service than Asus(what i was able to infer from TEians) and the quality is on par with any other board manufacturer(from the various Reviews). Also Biostar seems to make VFM mobos esp. for AMD platforms.

But isn't AsRock Asus's subsidary :S Also i have seen few AsRock's with 1 yr warranty. So ppl better confirm warranty before buying one.

Thaks for the info. Repped.

ASRock is available at most stores now.. the brand is offering quiet a vfm in budget segment although the quality seems lower than biostar.

yes it is a part of Asus but not distributed by Rashi :)

Accel Frontline handles rma for ASRock (as for gigabyte)

the thing is that MA74GM-S2 with sb710 is available in only revision 3.0 and above.. and the last time i checked it was revision 1.x in the market.. (around 2 months ago)

if you find one with rev 3.0 and above then grab it :p

also one more board to consider is GA_MA78LM-S2 ... 760G+ sb710 ... last i checked it was for 3.4k ..but that more than 5months ago as far as i can recollect..

grab this one just incase if it is anywhere close to 3k..gigabyte has already added support for phenom II X6 on this baby :D

logging out now..

cya kater

buying a new PC

I have joined this new company Qualcomm and moved to Hyderabad. I did not take my old PC with me, left it at home for the folks, so looking for a new PC to buy.

I have a budget of Rs. 95,000. I am not going to overclock. PC is only and only for gaming. I am not going to upgrade for another 2 years for sure, except minor components here and there. I want the processor with best stock speed and turbo mode.

The below suggestion is for a PC with 80 K as provided by thread originator.

What improvements can be done on this.

I do not need a keyboard, mouse, mouse pad.

I would like to go for a good 24" monitor and a cabinet that can fit the biggest card with room to spare.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Core i-5 750(2.66Ghz, 4 cores) 18500(combo)

Motherboard MSI P55 GD-65 -

RAM Gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL/ 2*2GB 1600MHz DDR3 9-9-9-24 6625

HDD 1 TB WD Black 5450

GPU Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 15850

Monitor Dell S2409W 12400

Cabinet LanCool DragonLord PC-K56W 4500

PSU/SMPS Corsair VX550 5000

ODD L.G. GH22NS30 /Samsung SH-S22F SATA DVD-Writer 1100

Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 VS4121 2975

Total 72400

Considering the VAT, I have 19K more to splurge on the above components. Please suggest. I am going to buy my PC in first week of April from Shweta Peripherals in CTC, Hyderabad :).

Spend the rest of the money by changing that to 6gb ram and get a nice Core i7 930 or 920 with a decent mobo ......... And maybe add a HD5870 if u have any money left .......

for your High End Gaming Rig (Budget 80k) with core i5, i had a few ques

would a 550w psu be sufficient considering that i ll be oc the core and might as well put two cards in crossfire (later)??

also to put the arctic cooler fan, dont i need any thermal compund??

following is a recommended build at Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended-builds-usage)

Gamer: $1,126.89

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO - Retail

HSF: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU ... - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

GPU: XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

DVD: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - Retail

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

This build will allow you to play games at mid. to max. settings at a monitor resolution of 1900x1200

core i7 860, or i7 920

and better go for 5870, or 2x 5850, by downgrading other components,

since ur pc is meant only and only for gaming

Back