Team Techenclave at Folding@Home

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hello guys.

So finally by popular demand and considering the development in the way Folding@Home now operates. We have decided to start Team Techenclave for this distributed computing project in addition to existing WCG.

You will find short description, links to download and get you started in this sticky.

First of all the Folding@Home Website : Folding@home - Main

What is Folding@Home

The following is quoted from the F@H homepage. All the links can be found on the above page.

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

What have we done so far?

We have had several successes. You can read about them on our Science page, on our Awards page, or go directly to our Results page.

How to Get started.

Like WCG, a client program runs in background on you computer and uses our idle computer power for the research purpose. I assure you once again, the bandwidth usage of F@H is minimal. So even dialup users need not worry much about the same.

The reason we decided to start this project is the that, this project has high performance clients which takes advantage of the GPUs in our system. This greatly improves the amount of data that can be processed. Those who have decent Geforce 8 series GPU and ATI 2xxx /3xxx /4xxx series GPU can use the GPU clients. And TE has lots of users with high and mid budget GPUs which can be put to good use.

Step 1
: Download the Folding@home software application

The Application software for Windows, Linux and Mac can be found at this Link: Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

High Performance CPU and GPU clients Can be downloaded from this Link(only for windows): Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

ATI GPU owners planning to use the GPU client Read this FAQ: Folding@home - FAQ-ATI2

Nvidia GPU users planning to use the GPU client Read this FAQ: Folding@home - FAQ-NVIDIA

Sony PlayStation 3 users who plan to use their consoles for folding Read this: Folding@home - FAQ-PS3

Step 2: Install the application on your system and run the application

Step 3: You will need to Provide a Team Number in the 'configuration' of the client under 'User' Tab for your work to be counted towards Team Techenclave. Configuration can be accessed by right clicking the F@H client icon in the system tray.

Team Techenclave Team Number is : 136938

If you wish to have unique ID and wish to track your progress over time. You will need to create a unique pass key.

Pass Key identifies you as a unique user.

First to check if user id you wish is available or not, visit this page and scroll to middle of the page : Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

You will find the box there.

Once you decide your unique id go to the the link given below and enter your username and email address to receive the unique passkey in email

Link to get the passkey : Folding@Home

The above link can also be used to recover the passkey.

Enter these details under the user tab of client configuration and you are good to go.

You need not change any advance settings, but if you wish, you can change them. They are very much easy to understand.

All done. You are good to go.

I will add more details if and when needed here.

I suggest you visit official F@H FAQ page for your queries if any: Folding@home - FAQ

If you cant find answers there, they do have forum, you can ask there or post here.

Happy Folding and good luck. :cool2:

Its still there and people are still crunching for WCG. You can run BOINC on CPU and F@H on GPU if you wish to run both ;)

but the folding@home gpu application eats 70-100% of a 4870 gpu & 60-80% of a dual core cpu together so how can one use boinc too ? :S

LOL didnt even realise I'd signed up nearly 4 years ago (like for WCG) but never had the time/resources to fold or crunch... until now!

LOL didnt even realise I'd signed up nearly 4 years ago (like for WCG) but never had the time/resources to fold or crunch... until now!

Udit said:
but the folding@home gpu application eats 70-100% of a 4870 gpu & 60-80% of a dual core cpu together so how can one use boinc too ? :S

i dont know about the ati client, but on the nvidia client doesnt use the cpu at all... i dont know why :)
good for me as general use at desktop doesnt suffer, only need to disable it to play games

If you keep it on for a whole day then it will download a somewhere around 20-30 MB per day. For me it's around 10 MB.

_pappu_ said:
does anybody know how to make the cpu client use both cores??

Download the SMP version, run the installer and then go to the install directory and run install.bat in a DOS box. (This will set up some SMP-related background process which is then used by the SMP clients). In the DOS box, run the FAH console client with the "-configonly" option to setup your name, team, et al. Finally, run the same console client, but this time with the "-smp" switch. It'll figure out the number of cores you have and load them all up. You can also specify "-smp x" where x is the max number of cores you'd like to use.

Crunch away :D

naah i decided against it :)

anyways with 1 core free i can use the comp normally :)

btw, 1 core e2140@3ghz gives 250ppd while my 8600gt gives 1800ppd

my friend has a 4870 which gives 1400ppd (we all know that the ati client is broken :) )

My "performance" shows 1800 to 2200 "iter/sec" (what's PPD?) on 8800GT and one core of a Q6600 with the GPU2 6.20 client :) Soon I hope to overtake you (pappu) and stalker.te to end up in the top3 hehehe :eek:hyeah:

Back