Test Drive Unlimited 2 discussion

Chase glory from behind the wheel of the most exclusive performance cars and take the race online to challenge rivals around the world. Customise your life as you tear through the streets and kick up dust off-road on the sun-kissed islands of Ibiza and Hawaii.
System Requirements
Minimum

Operating System:Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2, Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 4400+
RAM: 2GB
Video:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX/ ATI Radeon HD 3870 or faster *,
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
Hard Disk free space:18 GB
Peripherals:Keyboard, Mouse
Other:Internet Connection required for online activation, Internet Broadband Connection, Microsoft .NET 3.5 required

Recommended

Operating System: Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2, Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz or AMD Phenom II X2 555 (3GHz)
RAM:2GB
Video:Nvidia GeForce GTX 280 / ATI Radeon HD 4870
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible
Hard Disk:18 GB
Peripherals: Keyboard, Mouse or Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller™ for Windows®
Other: Internet Connection required for online activation, Internet Broadband Connection, Microsoft .NET 3.5 required

It will be out today in US. Reviews will be coming in a day or two.

I'm playing it now and just got Beginner license. The gameplay, presentation, are completely different from the first one. And coming to visuals, I am getting a choppy framerates at High settings (Q8200, HD 4890, 4GB DDR2 RAM).

well i liked the concept of the first one . if you gave it a little chance it was good even. i played it around 50 Hrs :ashamed: ( i love racing games , there were not much back then )

i was really looking forward to this, ig they could improve the handling and introduce some a little more story based game. that would be great ! :D

waiting or the reviews

The first one was good if you liked driving expensive car , Buying big luxurious houses and flirting with beautiful women:p . I will have to try the second game .

Physics was really bad in the first one ... i mean REALLY.

the game was good only when you were driving ... everything else was off ( beautiful women ? !?? :S ) .

one thing that Was awesome was the level design . :O

Man, Oahu was BIG and BEAUTIFUL all around, I remember finishing that 100 mile race :) ( yeah there was a race that supn around the whole island, it took me more than an hour to finish ( i did not restart :O)

I hope the physics and the handling are good this time. the big city was enough for the last game. if they improve on this aspects it'd be AWESOME !

it seems its more of the same things from the original. :(

Metacritic

Euro gamer - 70

"It's a long journey through this huge game and TDU2 offers an unrefined, bumpy ride. Thankfully, if it all gets too much, you can set the grind aside for a long journey of your own – just following your front wheels across the islands, revelling in one of the great videogame open worlds...Unsteady but passionate and ambitious, TDU2 is fantastic escapism. It's just a shame it sometimes needs to escape from itself"

almost the same words i'd use for TDU1.

when will this come here ?

@ gannu, Yes, a simple story line. A Guy/Girl is a wanna be racer and he/she must do it by participating in a TV show like thing. Story isn't something that keeps us moving forward in this game.

Just completed first set of challenges... Which won me a Solar Crown award. Basically it included getting a License ('C4' they call it), winning 6 challenges, which inlcudes Sprints, Circuits, Time Trails. The AI isn't even close the word Difficulty. They are extremely easy to defeat. The only challenge in the game was the roads and turns. But this is just the beginning, difficulty might crank up if I progress.

Leveling up the moving point here. There are a total of 60 levels, each level up requires player to progress in 4 elements...Social, Discovery, Competition, and Collection. To increase Discovery, player should find Sticker shops, Real estate offices, Retail shops, etc. Winning races will increase competition and owning houses, cars will increase collection. All these contributes to the main level up.

As i said, the AI so far is extremely easy.. but the good thing is, they have given players to choose a Arcade style driving system or a simulation style control system. To keep things challenging I switched it to "Hardcore" which provides highest level of challenge in controlling the car. But it didn't. It is easy to handle the car even on that difficulty. All we have to care about is anti-steering. Get that right, and you will be good to go. But, physics engine has been tweaked when compered to the first one, Cars handle well and feels more alive than before. Another thing i don't understand is, implementation of checkpoints. While in a race.. game forces you to pass thorough a particular point, which feels extremely irritating while taking corners. To save the time.. I actually cut the corners.. but because of this check points, I was forced to take a complete turn. That and, game penalizes for going off road or crashing something. And when it comes to crashing, I read somewhere that this game offers realistic damage system.. but it didn't. I barged into a on-coming bus at nearly 100MPH and got out with a paint scratch.

Game offers players different view points, Standard third person view, Extended Third person view, Cockpit view, Hood view, Bumper view. Except the extended third person view, every aspect felt good. But while in a cockpit view(which is well implemented), the game cuts the sun to simulate realism.. but who wants to sit behind a tinted windshield while driving in a tropical island like this!? So, I'm now driving with Hood view.

Voice acting is not that god. you will forget them the second you heard them. Chicks look hot, I'll give for that. Open world isn't implemented well.. The island feels vast.. but it didn't give me the feeling of town. Rather it gave me a feel of ghost town. Even in commercial areas, the traffic is negligible.. but I'm now only in Ibiza, which is a small town. I don't know how things looks when game shifts to Hawaii. But when driving on country side at 100MPH with air breezing though fauna and the orange sun rays peeking from the distant trees.. A lot seems forgivable.

still prefer nfs over td & any racing series.

played tdu1 bt the car handling was pathetic but the reality was cool.

i actually miss test drive 5 & old series some 6-7 yrs back.

@ Stragey, Ibiza is 220 sq.Miles.. including the off roads it should be pretty long. And the game includes oahu (~550 sq. Miles) which featured in first game. So, basically this game has 220sq. miles more Terrain than the first one.

When it comes to physics. It seems like it has been have improved compared to the first game. The makers say, they have used completely different driving engine. Although Hardcore mode doesn't live up to it's reputation Pro modes manages to find that sweet spot between Arcade and simulation handling. But.. I have been only on one car.. So, much can't be said. But this isn't a Pro racing game which allows users to change aerodynamics, weight shift, etc. So, can't really tell what part physics are playing on controlling. But cars feel responsive.. and in pro, Hardcore mode.. breaking, keeping traction in control and anti steering plays a key role (unlike the first game). When it comes to real world physics, there are lot of small things on roadside to crash into.

Back