The Aam Admi Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arent you an optimist :p

I agree summarily with you, but when you equate not paying taxes with outright theft, I disagree.

Its called Civil Disobedience, when you refuse to pay the bills cause they are inflated due to excessive corruption and scams. Its a perfectly accepted way of protest. I dont know why you only want to look at the minutest negatives but are happy for those who openly steal. Its a funny I think, Some people just want things to continue the way they are, so they can keep cribbing about it and feel good about themselves being better. Sigh.

AAP has come to power, reduces the tariffs, but I still feel the tariff is too high. So I refuse to pay my bill.
Now:
1) If I refuse to pay the bills, is it 'civil disobedience'?
2) If they government forces me to pay the bills, isn't that hypocritical of them?

Edit: Also, If I refuse to pay taxes because of the the scams, and because I'm disillusioned with the government, will AAP support me?

Last edited:
AAP has come to power, reduces the tariffs, but I still feel the tariff is too high. So I refuse to pay my bill.
Now:
1) If I refuse to pay the bills, is it 'civil disobedience'?
2) If they government forces me to pay the bills, isn't that hypocritical of them?
Its not about what you feel. Its about scams and over charging being common knowledge and still nothing being done about them cause - monopoly. A reasonable govt, sensitive to people is a very different one.

I would really like to know how the 700 free liters of water per month is going to help us. Especially since, as per my understanding, you need to pay the full amount if you exceed the 700 quota by even 1 liter.
Assuming a family of 4

4 people
10 liters of water while bathing (very conservative estimate)
Once per day for 30 days.

=4*10*30 =1200 liters on bathing alone.

Now add your washing clothes/hands/shaving/drinking/calls of nature/etc.
Its 700 litres/per day.

https://app.box.com/s/k6zzgdgv0tepbzkfo3bd

I would really like to know how the 700 free liters of water per month is going to help us. Especially since, as per my understanding, you need to pay the full amount if you exceed the 700 quota by even 1 liter.
Assuming a family of 4

4 people
10 liters of water while bathing (very conservative estimate)
Once per day for 30 days.

=4*10*30 =1200 liters on bathing alone.

Now add your washing clothes/hands/shaving/drinking/calls of nature/etc.
There are people who live off a fraction of that water quantity while paying off their teeth cause there is no water supply and costly tankers are the only solution. So yeah, either you conserve water (hurray?) or you pay for it. Cant think of a better way.

Also its 700lts a day, not month. :p

The most amusing part of this is that many other non-performing politicians, putting it mildly, have been constantly at AAP's throat to deliver on their promises within a day of joining. They can happily muck around for 15-20 years and when they face someone like AAP, they demand accountability.

Double-faced, pretentious morons... really grinds my gears. AAP has made some lofty promises for sure, but if they manage to get around to even 70% of what they have promised, they will be 100 times better than these idiots -

TL/DR: A very good debate on how taxpayer money is being used to fund foreign holidays for our netas. 100 MLAs go to China, 30 go on an Amazon trip, a bunch go to Dubai, Akali Dal (Punjab) MLAs go to Scotland to study Scottish refineries in the year when Punjab faced the worst floods in 20 years... the list goes on.

Many believe that many of the measures by AAP such as removal of lal battis, no additional VIP security etc is just posturing but I firmly believe that it removes the gap between the common man and the politicians and is very, very good for this country where politicians have lost touch with reality of the middle and lower classes.

There are people who live off a fraction of that water quantity while paying off their teeth cause there is no water supply and costly tankers are the only solution. So yeah, either you conserve water (hurray?) or you pay for it. Cant think of a better way.

Also its 700lts a day, not month. :p
We are currently getting 250l of water alternate days. Paying 800rs a month.
Its really hard to manage during summer esp. when we dont get water. We have to buy the 20l bottles.
Tired of complaining. Stupid F%@^@%@ water supplier.

Many believe that many of the measures by AAP such as removal of lal battis, no additional VIP security etc is just posturing but I firmly believe that it removes the gap between the common man and the politicians and is very, very good for this country where politicians have lost touch with reality of the middle and lower classes.
Yes but I don't think that our New CM not wanting to have security is a wise decision. >_<
of course no person in his right mind would mean to harm him but we also have a bunch of you-know-whos.

^

+100 to that. AAP is loosing sight of what it actually needs. Politicians do need security in some cases. Extremists are everywhere. And in case of Kejriwal i will suggest him to have twice the normal security.

Just hoping him to prove me wrong soon enough. I still think AAP is just hot air.

Denying security is a good way to show people that he is still like a common man though he knows that in any case he will be getting security :p[DOUBLEPOST=1388421054][/DOUBLEPOST]In some days IB and other organization will say that he should take security cover, he will again deny and eventually say I am taking this cover just because public and supporters are asking me to take it.

Denying security is a good way to show people that he is still like a common man though he knows that in any case he will be getting security :p[DOUBLEPOST=1388421054][/DOUBLEPOST]In some days IB and other organization will say that he should take security cover, he will again deny and eventually say I am taking this cover just because public and supporters are asking me to take it.

yeah but its so petty ..bordering on childish way to gain brownie points!

yeah but its so petty ..bordering on childish way to gain brownie points!

Actually, I personally feel that steps like these are also important. These steps are needed to change the mindset of the people.
I have always felt enraged when the news channels use the word 'ruling party' or 'Raj'. The politicians and bureaucrats are public servants and this mindset that they are above the common man needs to change.

^ how would it change the mindset?
tomorrow assume some retards start pelting stones at a Mr K - then what?
At the end of the day, Mr K is the chief minister of a state and if not him as a person, the position/chair needs to be respected.

I think all this "trying to be one among the people" is more cinematic (yes that movie called Nayak comes to mind) - its more talk than substance (which is good in cinema but we're talking about "real" life)

^ how would it change the mindset?
tomorrow assume some retards start pelting stones at a Mr K - then what?
At the end of the day, Mr K is the chief minister of a state and if not him as a person, the position/chair needs to be respected.

I think all this "trying to be one among the people" is more cinematic (yes that movie called Nayak comes to mind) - its more talk than substance (which is good in cinema but we're talking about "real" life)

All I am saying is, it is a step in the right direction. And I certainly don't get the scepticism and cynicism that goes around every time he makes a decision. Even if this reflects as an appeasement move to you, it still doesn't affect you in any way and is still a 100 times better than the minority/religion based appeasement policies of other parties which are detrimental for the whole society.
It might not be practical in today's world but the idea is to change the world and not to cocoon ourselves because we are afraid.
Wouldn't it change the mindset of the people if they see the chief minister travelling like a common man among them. We are still very far from such a day but I for one welcome every step that can help us reach such a society make-up where the politicians an bureaucrats know that their duty is to serve the people and not rule them.
I remember a quote which feels very apt for this situation - A true leader will lead the people, not necessarily to a place where they want to be, but to a place where they should be.

All I am saying is, it is a step in the right direction. And I certainly don't get the scepticism and cynicism that goes around every time he makes a decision. Even if this reflects as an appeasement move to you, it still doesn't affect you in any way and is still a 100 times better than the minority/religion based appeasement policies of other parties which are detrimental for the whole society.
It might not be practical in today's world but the idea is to change the world and not to cocoon ourselves because we are afraid.
Wouldn't it change the mindset of the people if they see the chief minister travelling like a common man among them. We are still very far from such a day but I for one welcome every step that can help us reach such a society make-up where the politicians an bureaucrats know that their duty is to serve the people and not rule them.

I remember a quote which feels very apt for this situation - A true leader will lead the people, not necessarily to a place where they want to be, but to a place where they should be.

you are right in an ideal case scenario - but the fact remains we're a $crewed up society and no amount of posturing will change the situation on the ground over night!
All I'm saying is he should take the security which comes with his seat and work towards creating an environment where such a security cover becomes no longer necessary. Baby steps mate, baby steps.

^^Adequate security vs. overt security. Most politicians today choose the latter, whereas the former is enough. It has become more of a status symbol, rather than a functional need.

That is exactly what's so good about all this. I remember last December when students tried to get the tougher anti-rape law passed, they were lathi-charged and sprayed with cold water. Shiela Dixit was absent and after days and days of protests, Sonia Gandhi met a few of them and told them to call off the peaceful protests. When the students insisted that they want the law to be passed and the perpetrators to be caught, a very senior leader of the Congress said "Inko samajh kyon nahi aata? Jab Sonia ji jaisi leader bhi inse mil chuki hai, aur kya chahiye inhe?" I could see the arrogance and the irritation on his face. How dare do common people come and demand stuff from us?

That is exactly what I am hoping what AAP can remove and should remove. This is why most politicians need to be pulled down from their thrones and should act and be treated like common people. Some might call it posturing but it is very much needed today.

I really hope Congress pulls support. BJP will be demolished in the re-elections (BJP got more seats, anti-Congress votes, but the number of votes garnered has been more or less the same as last time) and so will be Congress.

Security is best covert rather than over done. British PM doesnt go around with a convoy or a huge troupe, you'l find him in a black sedan whiz past you and you wouldnt even know its him. Security should be effective not extravagant. In that sense, I get AK's logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back