The 'Anti-Java' Professor and the Jobless Programmers

booo

BA BA BA BABANANA
Skilled
In essence, he said that today’s Java-savvy college grad is tomorrow’s pizza delivery man. Their skills are so easily outsourced that they’re heading for near-term obsolescence.

Dewar stresses that he’s not against Java itself. But the fact that Java is taught as the core language in so many colleges is resulting in a weak field of computer science grads, he says.

The reason: students’ reliance on Java’s libraries of pre-written code means they aren’t developing the deep programming skills necessary to make them invaluable. Colleges, alarmed by falling CS enrollment, have dumbed down the course requirements. Consequently, CS majors sail through a curriculum of Math Lite, earning a smiley-face on their papers for “developing†projects using pre-built libraries.
InternetNews Commentary

he is in usa and says jobs are getting outsourced
that seems like good news for india!!!!!!!!!!:bleh:
just let us make sure we also don't go the same way of dumbing things down
for easy degrees

In new mumbai university portion of IT/Comps, java has got full 100 mark paper and both c/c++ has been sandwiched in a single semester . B4r both c/c++ has dedicated 100 marks in 2 sems . Java is good but learning core C should definitely be forced .

Its not a matter of C++ or Java or any other programming language at all. Algorithms should be explained without any relation to programming languages. Taking alogorithms out of the course would be a disaster.

there are many things apart from algorithms or C. I was taking interview of a 2+ yr exp guy. asked him about some concepts that he learned in his btech as he was highlighting his percentages in btech.

It was amazing when I asked him about memory paging, he first said he didnt remember coz he studied it like 4 yrs ago. to this I told him that I remember those concepts even after some 7 yrs. Now, I get this answer from him... He tells me the author of the book and the page number. pwned. I conclude the interview rightaway. damnn....

hammerhead said:
Its not a matter of C++ or Java or any other programming language at all. Algorithms should be explained without any relation to programming languages. Taking alogorithms out of the course would be a disaster.

I started out programming with Java....It was not until I got to work on C++ (5 trimesters later) that I got the idea what exactly Classes and Objects are. For beginners 'everything piece of code be a class' idea is very confusing.

Data structures are easier to follow in C rather than Java which adds lots of extra things to go through if you start with it.

rapt0r said:
In new mumbai university portion of IT/Comps, java has got full 100 mark paper and both c/c++ has been sandwiched in a single semester . B4r both c/c++ has dedicated 100 marks in 2 sems . Java is good but learning core C should definitely be forced .
i think it was fine to put C and C++ in the 1st semester. both are very similar and i guess its fine. (im from the batch that has the portion changed :D)

hammerhead said:
+1 to the algorithms. i just dont get it why the hell the teachers dont teach algorithms to the students? it is a very important part which helps to understand the programs.
but i do believe that C/C++ should be taught first and then move to java.

Arya said:
I started out programming with Java....It was not until I got to work on C++ (5 trimesters later) that I got the idea what exactly Classes and Objects are. For beginners 'everything piece of code be a class' idea is very confusing.

Data structures are easier to follow in C rather than Java which adds lots of extra things to go through if you start with it.
+1 to that. :)

booo said:
there are many things apart from algorithms or C. I was taking interview of a 2+ yr exp guy. asked him about some concepts that he learned in his btech as he was highlighting his percentages in btech.

It was amazing when I asked him about memory paging, he first said he didnt remember coz he studied it like 4 yrs ago. to this I told him that I remember those concepts even after some 7 yrs. Now, I get this answer from him... He tells me the author of the book and the page number. pwned. I conclude the interview rightaway. damnn....

Dude .. What are you ? :p

Like the Grand Old Daddy of programming?

Uh.. Wait a min.. Should I even be addressing you 'Dude'? :ashamed:

^^ He is like a C++/VC++ geek and he is mad, yes he is, so dont take him on :D. Sad that I couldnt stand VC++ so took java+Linux as the electives, you remember those good ol' days Raghu? :eek:hyeah:.

booo said:

Happens with me as well, time and again...again...again. I am speechless :mad: Even my sister who is doing BE (CS) from PICT, Pune can't answer many of the concept questions that I ask. She said she just copied the journal... I am speechless :S

And I really fail to understand what the "years" have to do with them? Its about understanding the concept and not "rattofying" them (a***ole's).

~LT

VanishingNerd said:
I have never coded in Java in my life. Only C/C++ ever and happily working at my C++ (and soon Python also) requiring job and very happy about it too.

+1

Python simply amazes me... just keeps me excited.

~LT

Back