The book I am reading currently

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by g2, Dec 6, 2009.

1. eternoMind

eternoMind Well-Known Member
    Veteran

That is a valid point. One only has to see how people fall head over heels with so-called biographical movies of famous people in India. Case in point being Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.

Also, thanks for the appreciation but I edited that part out. The intention was to talk about Mudaliar's standing among Tamils from the lower stratas of life and I think I digressed a bit. All good now.

:)

2. mathrisk

mathrisk .: deleted :.
    Adept

My 12 year old cousin is asking me to get some 'story' books for him.
    Could some one please recommend me some?

I can see in Fk/Amazon that the - Whimpy Kid series, Percy Jackson series have pretty decent ratings. How are those?
    Or anything else?

3. killmastern3

killmastern3 Well-Known Member
    Adept

At that age, i was happy with the Hardy Boys books. These are mainly light mystery books. There are some 160 books in the series.

4. imkaush

imkaush Well-Known Member
    Adept

Started with The Sialkot Saga last night :)

5. ~Romil

~Romil Well-Known Member
    Disciple

Just re-read (this time more attentively) 1984 by George Orwell.

This prophetic masterpiece never ceases to amaze me. Quite analogous with the times we're living in.

6. Criminal

Criminal Well-Known Member
    Veteran

^^ come on... are we really living in distopian time?

7. ~Romil

~Romil Well-Known Member
    Disciple

Let's try this next weekend, and see if we have an answer:

Walk down the erstwhile Aurangzeb Road wearing a LGBT support t-shirt, holding a sumptuous boeuf steak in one hand and carrying a copy of "India's Daughter" in another and see if we're living freely enough? :)

8. Mr.J

Mr.J Well-Known Member
    Adept

Just remember one thing, even though surveillance is a large part of 1984, the true themes are brainwashing and propaganda.

9. avi

avi Well-Known Member
    Elite

its about controlling people. so yes

10. sabby

sabby Well-Known Member
    Section Mod

Can you guys recommend me some really good spy/thriller novels and some solid fantasy as well ? I have read the entire Jack Reacher series (liked many but also a handful of them were meh). Started the ASOIAF and about to start the Witcher saga as well.

#730 sabby, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  11. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan If you cant see the green dot, I'm offline :P
    Veteran

^Tom Clancy - Ryan Series.

sabby likes this.
  12. bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy Well-Known Member
    Veteran

5th Wave : An excellent read...

13. ~Romil

~Romil Well-Known Member
    Disciple

I concur. But, I'm curious as to know why I'm served with this reminder? ; )
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2016 ---
    Reading another one tonight, The Clan of The Cave Bear by French writer Jean Auel -- A speculative fiction about social life and it's dynamics in the late Pleistocene epoch (~30K years ago). A fascinating and promising read.

#733 ~Romil, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  14. Mr.J

Mr.J Well-Known Member
    Adept

Usually geeks often get caught up in the surveillance aspect of that book.

15. avi

avi Well-Known Member
    Elite

Started A Song of Ice and Fire. I know I am late to the party. I was waiting for series to finish and then start, then looking how GRRM was taking time, I changed my mind.

I finished AGOT and ACOK, both are amazing. Will start ASOS soon :D

eternoMind and Vagabond like this.
  16. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member
    Veteran

Started with Raven's Shadow series. Seems promising with fairly solid ratings on goodreads.

17. sabby

sabby Well-Known Member
    Section Mod

I got a bit bored @ 60% of ACOK. So I started the Witcher series, now at the 8th and final book of the series. Hopefully will resume the ACOK after this :p

18. avi

avi Well-Known Member
    Elite

Really? A lot of shit happens by 60%, I don't know why you got bored. Also ACOK has lots of Tyrion, which I absolutely loved it.

Btw finished 70% of ASOS. Will finish by this weekend :)

19. sabby

sabby Well-Known Member
    Section Mod

I just finished the Devos chapter where he took certain someone to a certain place via a boat. Not much happening in the past few chapters. Let's see if that changes now.

20. mathrisk

mathrisk .: deleted :.
    Adept

Updating the thread after a long time.
    These days my reading has drastically reduced. Hardly read 20/30 pages a day. Completed the following in recent months
    • Cometh the Hour - Jeffrey Archer - Clifton series #6
    • This was a Man - Jeffrey Archer - Last(#7) book of clifton series - typical archer style story. Monotonous at times. Finishing was decent.
    • The Forgotten Man - Rober Crais - (Elvis Cole series) - a casual murder mystery book. Something like a episode of "Castle".