The book I am reading currently

This is one issue which i also have with the book. But maybe that is how the books get sold in India.
We have a penchant for a bit of a drama here and there (atleast there were no 3X zooms thrown in..)

Thanks for sharing a slice of anecdotes from your life. A self made man is always the best possible hero we can come across in life :)

That is a valid point. One only has to see how people fall head over heels with so-called biographical movies of famous people in India. Case in point being Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.

Also, thanks for the appreciation but I edited that part out. The intention was to talk about Mudaliar's standing among Tamils from the lower stratas of life and I think I digressed a bit. All good now.

:)

My 12 year old cousin is asking me to get some 'story' books for him.
Could some one please recommend me some?

I can see in Fk/Amazon that the - Whimpy Kid series, Percy Jackson series have pretty decent ratings. How are those?
Or anything else?

My 12 year old cousin is asking me to get some 'story' books for him.
Could some one please recommend me some?

I can see in Fk/Amazon that the - Whimpy Kid series, Percy Jackson series have pretty decent ratings. How are those?
Or anything else?
At that age, i was happy with the Hardy Boys books. These are mainly light mystery books. There are some 160 books in the series.

Just re-read (this time more attentively) 1984 by George Orwell.

This prophetic masterpiece never ceases to amaze me. Quite analogous with the times we're living in.

^^ come on... are we really living in distopian time?

Let's try this next weekend, and see if we have an answer:

Walk down the erstwhile Aurangzeb Road wearing a LGBT support t-shirt, holding a sumptuous boeuf steak in one hand and carrying a copy of "India's Daughter" in another and see if we're living freely enough? :)

Just re-read (this time more attentively) 1984 by George Orwell.

This prophetic masterpiece never ceases to amaze me. Quite analogous with the times we're living in.

Just remember one thing, even though surveillance is a large part of 1984, the true themes are brainwashing and propaganda.

Can you guys recommend me some really good spy/thriller novels and some solid fantasy as well ? I have read the entire Jack Reacher series (liked many but also a handful of them were meh). Started the ASOIAF and about to start the Witcher saga as well.

Last edited:
Just remember one thing, even though surveillance is a large part of 1984, the true themes are brainwashing and propaganda.

I concur. But, I'm curious as to know why I'm served with this reminder? ; )[DOUBLEPOST=1465569037][/DOUBLEPOST]Reading another one tonight, The Clan of The Cave Bear by French writer Jean Auel -- A speculative fiction about social life and it's dynamics in the late Pleistocene epoch (~30K years ago). A fascinating and promising read.

Last edited:
Started A Song of Ice and Fire. I know I am late to the party. I was waiting for series to finish and then start, then looking how GRRM was taking time, I changed my mind.

I finished AGOT and ACOK, both are amazing. Will start ASOS soon :D

Started A Song of Ice and Fire. I know I am late to the party. I was waiting for series to finish and then start, then looking how GRRM was taking time, I changed my mind.

I finished AGOT and ACOK, both are amazing. Will start ASOS soon :D
I got a bit bored @ 60% of ACOK. So I started the Witcher series, now at the 8th and final book of the series. Hopefully will resume the ACOK after this :p

I got a bit bored @ 60% of ACOK. So I started the Witcher series, now at the 8th and final book of the series. Hopefully will resume the ACOK after this :p
Really? A lot of shit happens by 60%, I don't know why you got bored. Also ACOK has lots of Tyrion, which I absolutely loved it.

Btw finished 70% of ASOS. Will finish by this weekend :)

Really? A lot of shit happens by 60%, I don't know why you got bored. Also ACOK has lots of Tyrion, which I absolutely loved it.

Btw finished 70% of ASOS. Will finish by this weekend :)
I just finished the Devos chapter where he took certain someone to a certain place via a boat. Not much happening in the past few chapters. Let's see if that changes now.

Updating the thread after a long time.
These days my reading has drastically reduced. Hardly read 20/30 pages a day. Completed the following in recent months
  • Cometh the Hour - Jeffrey Archer - Clifton series #6
  • This was a Man - Jeffrey Archer - Last(#7) book of clifton series - typical archer style story. Monotonous at times. Finishing was decent.
  • The Forgotten Man - Rober Crais - (Elvis Cole series) - a casual murder mystery book. Something like a episode of "Castle".

Back