The Comic Book Thread

It's pretty surprising that we don't have a dedicated thread for comic books. Comic books as a reading form have grown a lot from their humble origins of good vs evil to complicated biopic sagas and pulitzer prize winning works.

The amount of cross-overs & retcon's can be irritating at times to follow. But the time invested in them is usually worth it.

Here are some of the greatest comics I have read [Note - They are either available in single forms or a collection. Wherever the collections are available, look for a special edition which contains more stories on pen & inking & a creator's commentary]

1. The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
2. Watchmen - Alan Moore
3. Sandman - Neil Gaiman
4. Sin City - Frank Miller
5. Maus - Art Spiegelman
6. A Contract With God - Will Eisner
7. Old Man Logan - Mark Millar
8. Y, The Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan
9. Red Son - Mark Millar
10. Batman: Killing Joke - Alan Moore.

Do recommend more comic books and also add your favourites.

I have been reading Comics since I was 12. A lot has changed since then. Somehow I think that comics of those days were a lot better than what we have now. Everybody's a superhero now. And the less said about Frank Miller,the better. He may have won accolades on his Sin City but his portrayal of Batman is,bluntly speaking,horsesh!t. I picked up All Star Batman & Robin hoping to relive the days of how Batman meets the Boy Wonder. What it is,is actually a Homicidal maniac and a boy who is turning into a killing machine. And half of Gotham know who Batman is. Great. Frank Miller's Batman is just not my cup of tea. He would be better off writing other dark gritty storylines.

As such I have stopped reading any Comics from new authors especially if they are from Marvel.

For Superman Fans, Superman:The Dark Side is a great read. Also Batman in Black and White is one of the most abstract portrayal of the Dark Knight. Worth reading it too. Batman:Hush has the best comic book art that I have ever seen. Jim Lee is great in drawing the DK and the Man of Steel. :)

saumilsingh said:
I'm reading 100 Bullets.
Read Kingdom Come. Crap story but it will change your perception on just how good comic book art can be.
Thanks. Will order it through Flipkart soon. Damn Comics are so expensive now. Part 1 is 597/- and Part 2 is 968/-. :(

Recently got hindi comics collection(205 comics) from a friend in the pdf format.Reading NAGRAJ from last four days:eek:hyeah:

saumilsingh said:
Read Kingdom Come. Crap story but it will change your perception on just how good comic book art can be.

Now that is some serious art!

whatsinaname said:
Some of my favourites.

1) Transmetropolitan

2) Global Frequency

3) Planetary

4) DMZ

5) Bone

6) Top 10

Will add more when I remember. :D

Nice reading there. Tried 100 Bullets or Powers yet?
Desecrator said:

Why the :p ? That was an awesome series! Too bad they cut it short. :(

On the other hand I would really like to forget the Spiderman 'India' series. :p

phoenix844884 said:
Nice reading there. Tried 100 Bullets or Powers yet?
I read a few issues of 100 Bullets. (Borrowed them from the local library.) Couldn't get into it for some reason.

<3 Powers. The last time I was reading it, I was in the middle of Volume 3. I stopped to wait for the complete Volume 3 to come out, but haven't had a chance to get back to it.

A few more recommendations (Am trying to mention comics that haven't been mentioned by others. I would also like to add my vote to Sandman, Maus, Watchmen)

1) Fables !! (Don't know how I missed this in the first list. :p)

2) Hellblazer (This is a 50-50 recommendation. Some amazing arcs, some mundane)

3) The Invisibles

4) Human Target

5) Wanted

6) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Scott Pilgrim FTW! :)

Can't wait for the movie too.

I gave Powers a try after someone told me its good and I got hooked to it instantly. All the series/stand alone books you have mentioned are awesome. I especially loved Wanted. Such amazing bad-assery stuffed in one book. WOW!

I also want to read Invincible by Image publishing. Has been on my radar for quite some time now, but I'll start that once I finish re-reading Watchmen.

Back