The Definitive Nokia 5800XM Thread!!!

Updated my phone last night. The phone is definitely much more responsive after the v30 update. And the audio quality has really improved a lot. It sounds louder over headphones too. Dont know about the speaker as I havent tried it out yet.

^^ Yes i said so in my changes points.. another audio quality and audio volume confirmation! did u find any changes with internet browsing? dont u feel its faster now [faster scrolling]

This is really annoying guys, all this while, whenever I tried through FOTA, I always got the 'no new updates' msg, now finally it shows me the v30, its a 15MB file, I dload it, it starts updating, restartd phone, and says 'package not compatible with the phone, pls contact service provider' really really annoying and frustrating!

As it is, I am stcuk on v11 firmware, got to get home and google some more, no one else has this issue?!!

Jasku said:
This is really annoying guys, all this while, whenever I tried through FOTA, I always got the 'no new updates' msg, now finally it shows me the v30, its a 15MB file, I dload it, it starts updating, restartd phone, and says 'package not compatible with the phone, pls contact service provider' really really annoying and frustrating!

As it is, I am stcuk on v11 firmware, got to get home and google some more, no one else has this issue?!!

do the update via the PC.....come to a higher version and then do the FOTA if needed.

I did the update last night...small 4 mb file...dint find anything impressive after the update. Did notice the screen has become a little smaller in landscape mode , did anyone notice it ?

thetechmind said:
Did notice the screen has become a little smaller in landscape mode , did anyone notice it ?
i have noticed it. it may be done to solve following bug , solved now atlest in my 5800.:hap2:
If your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic mobile is full of applications, then you must have noticed this annoying ScrollBar bug. The screen of Nokia 5800 XpressMusic has two modes: Landscape and Portrait. When the screen is in Portrait mode, the icons of the installed applications are visible and the same is not true in Landscape mode. You can not scroll down to see them properly. As more and more applications you will install in your mobile. It will not be possible to view all of them in Landscape mode. Last few icons will completely hide from the screen and your scrollbar will not allow you to go down.

ScrollBar is a very basic control in any user interface and Nokia did not fix this bug even in many firmware updates from the release of Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. Let's see if Nokia fix this bug in next firmware update.

Guys,
Impressions of V30.0.0.11
1. The Music quality has improved Terrifically.
I'm a music freak and listens nearly 5hrs of music on 5800 everyday.
all tracks are encoded in 128Kbps AAC (itunes).
The distortion levels have come down drastically.
The high frequency sensitivity has increased greatly.
Low frequency is tighter (muffling is reduced)
Stero crosstalk reduced greatly.
My advice: never use Loudness/stereo widening.
2.Overall responsiveness is great.
Browsing menu and lists
Less time to open list of ~1500 tracks.
really responsive touch screen.
3.E-mail home screen
I've herad but not tried as i need to hard reset phone.
4.Keypad/home screen menu icons color changed
5.Battery life is not tested Will update after testing
Reg
Thiru

Hey,

I donno whether anyone noticed.

The camera capturing is now a lot better with the new update. :hap2:

Also that there had been a bug with the battery charge left when you go to the music player. Earlier the bar will go down by one when the music player comes to the screen. Now this seems to be fixed.

Unable to update my phone via FOTA. As the only way to conenct to the internet for me is via Airtel GPRS, the connection take s a long time and then just when it starts to download the update, its says error, has to be restarted :( Any way to use my Desktop's internet on my fone ?

Just go to a location where GPRS is strong. For example EDGE at my home is weak but is very strong in my office. Took me just a few minutes to download & update over FOTA at my office!!

The camera is still not upto the mark. For the optics it is using even my old camera on the Nokia 6500 used to take great pics. This one just plain sucks or Nokia is deliberately crippling it.

Blade_Runner said:
The camera is still not upto the mark. For the optics it is using even my old camera on the Nokia 6500 used to take great pics. This one just plain sucks or Nokia is deliberately crippling it.
I think Nokia is not being delibrate....its more of a hardware issue than a software one...the aperture size of 5800 is too small to sustain its Carl Zeiss 3.2 mp AF tags....just have to live with it
This is only problematic when light is not ample...(which is most of the time)
sucks

Ive noticed a new bug with the v30 firmware. I clicked a few photos with the camera and when I go to the gallery, I can see 2 copies of every photo. One is a thumbnail and the other is the actual size image. Any idea what the problem is???

Back