The DRINK Thread.

Very well stocked. My first 'peat' experience was Laphroaig. It was different. Challenges your notions of what a whisky is supposed to be. They all do in way i suppose.

My first peat experience was Ardbeg at their distillery .. The first sip made me wonder if I am really drinking whiskey :)
Here's my pet peeve by the way - When I go out for drinks with my team, see a lot of these kids these days blowing up cash ordering a decent single malt or more often a JD (a decent bourbon) at massively inflated rates.. Which is all fine so far.. And then they ruin it all by either pumping the glass full of Coke or carbonated water..
While I try to keep myself from flinching, I wonder why not order a Directors special instead if they intended to do that to start with!

JD (a decent bourbon) at massively inflated rates.. Which is all fine so far.. And then they ruin it all by either pumping the glass full of Coke carbonated water.. /QUOTE]

Well, first of all, JD is not a bourbon. Second, it is not really decent if you've cut your teeth. Third, a Jack & Coke or a Scotch & Soda are classic drinks. Despite what snobs like you might think.

Last edited:
Ah.. someone who believes my mantra. I only drink whiskey on rocks. nothing else. I think it just makes sense. Scotch always with rocks. If its bourbon, I add a bit of water.
If its Johnny walker... rocks again.

Then again, I CANNOT drink vodka neat. I even tried the falvoured ones for that. No. Cannot. Thats why I stopped having vodka. As i stopped having sugar water completely.

With rum, any type, need Ice and water.

Well, first of all, JD is not a bourbon.

Please don't bring ego into this thread. That's not what this thread is supposed to be

Jack Daniel or JD IS a bourbon by any definition. Its just the company doesn't allow it to be. They call is Tennessee whiskey(since more process is involved) or sour mash whiskey or something.

So you both are correct. :D.

Ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniel's#Production_process

Despite what snobs like you might think..

Name calling is beneath you.

This is a drink thread. @superczar has his own taste. you have your own. Some people, including me, dont like drinks to be diluted or too sweet or anything.
7 and 7 is a very popular drink. many of my friends like it. I detest it. Coz its too sweet for me. Doesnt mean that drink is bad. Why is it so popular.
This thread is meant, atleast i meant to, to bring different experiences together so we can all get drunk more. :D :D.

This post also means no disrespect to you.

@letmei.. Read again what I said :)
I like JD, I don't mind it at all..In particular like the strong intrinsic flavor it has (charcoalish is what they call it I think) which comes out (at least to me me) with a bit of water
I just find it odd that people dilute that flavor with Coke... Now if its a home turf drink (and thus not too expensive), flavoring it with coke is all good..
However, if i am in the market for a flavored drink (Read whiskey with coke), and since I am in India, I might as well pick up something relatively cheap (over an expensive import) as the flavor is diluted anyway..
As with everything alcohol related, to each his own :)

PS: When it comes to coke, my choice of mixer is old Monk :p

Here's my pet peeve by the way - When I go out for drinks with my team, see a lot of these kids these days blowing up cash ordering a decent single malt or more often a JD (a decent bourbon) at massively inflated rates.. Which is all fine so far.. And then they ruin it all by either pumping the glass full of Coke or carbonated water..
While I try to keep myself from flinching, I wonder why not order a Directors special instead if they intended to do that to start with!
Agree, i prefer it neat with a dash of water and sip it very slowly.

On this topic, i noticed you had glenlivet (assuming as i all i see is 'ivet') in there too, when i tried a sample of it here, it was like somebody grabbed me by the throat !!

^^ Thats incidentally is the oldest surviving bottle with a vintage >1 year out there for me.. The rest get over much quicker :)
While I don't find it as bad as you did, I personally think it has a bit of a confused taste .. A bit like Teachers highland cream blended if you will

^^ Thats incidentally is the oldest surviving bottle with a vintage >1 year out there for me.. The rest get over much quicker :)
While I don't find it as bad as you did, I personally think it has a bit of a confused taste .. A bit like Teachers highland cream blended if you will
Ha! i wonder why...can't really call it bad but this one needs to be taken with a little more water, its quite strong compared to the others.

Incidentally glenlivet was the only single malt they had as a sample, in a small bottle, that you get on planes. Kept pressing the shop to get more of the others too but they said they couldn't source them. Think about all those marketing geniuses that figured out selling sachets in India meant you get to sell more of your product. With the crazy prices here i'm surprised these little bottles aren't more common with single malts.

Last edited:
Favorites till now:
Rum - Sikkim Rum
Vodka - Belvedere / Finlandia / Smirnoff ( Coffee)
Whisky - JD Double Black / Jim Beam / Whyte & Mackay 22 yrs
Wine - B & G Rose / Camas White wine

anyone tried monkey shoulder? nice scotch
DSC_0009.JPG

Anyone here who likes Islay whiskey.

I usually get whiskey only in airports when I travel. When I run out of stock it's only wine and beer for me.

Last year I got used to Islay whiskey. Got few Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Prefer it neat with just a lil bit of water. You need some time to get used to them. After that all other whiskey kinda tastes bland.

Back