The "Everyday" show-off thread !

UBNT Air cam and AirGrid

2012-09-12 09.28.04.jpg
2012-09-12 09.28.42.jpg

Just got a lens cleaning pen called Lenspen LP-1 from Flipkart. Its costs me Rs. 445/-
Feature of this pen
xHoy9.jpg

• Perfect for Cleaning Camera Lenses
  • Telescopes and Binocular Lenses
  • Small Aperture Spotting Scopes
  • Retractable Dust Removal Brush
  • Special Non-liquid Cleaning Element
  • Unique Self-replenishing Tip
  • Convenient and Portable
Video
Lenspen Lens Cleaning System - YouTube

I guess that smiley showed more excitement that it warranted. :|

Gigabit ports on a router.. the cheap ones don't have it. That's all I wanted to say.

Oh u got me wrong, I am a noob when it comes to networking, just wanted to know why Gigabit ports are considered better, I know the transfer speeds are good but normal ports also do the job ?

upgraded my internet, paying as much as i did before on the 2mb plan (old failtel plan)
2599 i think rapid 175 plan.

Which is this plan you upgraded to? I'm using the 2MBPS (1MBPS post FUP) from Airtel @2.3k per month plan but then again I don't think they offer anything better here in Kolkata anyways other than my current plan.

Oh u got me wrong, I am a noob when it comes to networking, just wanted to know why Gigabit ports are considered better, I know the transfer speeds are good but normal ports also do the job ?

Most of the computers (post 2006) have inbuilt Gigabit ethernet ports. Theoretically, it supports a speed of 133 MB/s. The normal 100 Mbps ports on most routers are only capable of supporting data transfers of upto 10-12 Mbps.

However, we are not going to get 133 MB/s. It depends on a lot of factors such as HDD read/write performance, length of cables. Even if you remove all this, there is going to be some network overhead that will cost you some speed.

In the real world scenario, you can expect speeds of 40-50 MB/s which is where the typical HDD lies. But, it is still much better than 10/12 MB/s. As an example, you can consider a scenario involving a central file server which is accessed quite often.

Check this link for more information - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321.html

@Black_Hawk - i was on the same plan as u i think (but my fup made it 256kbps) after 100gb limit.. my bill used to come round 2.5k .. ive shifted to a 8mb plan and after fup it's 512k after 175gb limit and its 2599.. so i thought its worth the upgrade.. lol will try to limit my use and loving the way webpages load and even the ping times have improoved.. i use 3 computers + an xbox connected to this thing.. worthy upgrade for sure .. im sure they will start this in kolkata soon aswell, check their broadband page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black_Hawk - i was on the same plan as u i think (but my fup made it 256kbps) after 100gb limit.. my bill used to come round 2.5k .. ive shifted to a 8mb plan and after fup it's 512k after 175gb limit and its 2599.. so i thought its worth the upgrade.. lol will try to limit my use and loving the way webpages load and even the ping times have improoved.. i use 3 computers + an xbox connected to this thing.. worthy upgrade for sure .. im sure they will start this in kolkata soon aswell, check their broadband page.

Here it's also almost the same mate. People get a 2MBPS connection and after a 30GB FUP the speed is reduced to 256KBPS. I singed up with Airtel 7 years ago and my plan was IIRC 1MBPS then and later changed to 2MBPS unlimited (post 30GB FUP - 1MBPS). Since then they sent me a letter stating that I was a VIP customer of some sorts (!) and they would make an exception in my case since the connection has been there for 7 years and they would continue to keep the post FUP speed to 1MBPS and not reduce it to a measly 256KBPS.

- - - Updated - - -
MegaMind: Congrats on the new build, specially the new HAF-X. Some people like the looks of the HAF series and for some it's too bold, I for one love it. Owned it's predecessor the HAF 932 prior to my Lian Li.

Btw, the GTX 570 Sonic Platinum looks great!

im also with airtel since more then 5yrs+ lol dunno about making me a vip. in between it shifted to 4mb then back to 2mb automatically, ne way enough talk, im super happy with the connection .. more upgrades for the pc build!!!

LG GH24NS72 - Rs 1100

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back