The Fitness Thread !

If you find it confusing to calculate calories try eating less portions of food, for example 2 rotis instead of 3, half a bowl of rice instead of 1 bowl etc. Imp things to keep in mind are have meals at regular times, be consistant in your diet and get plenty of rest, that 7-8 hours of good sleep is very important for good health

Let me nitpick:)
I watched a movie sometime back - The Chaser. Obviously, it had a chase scene but it appeared very realistic, as opposed to what they show in Bollywood movies. The guys ran fast initially, then slowed down, crawled for a bit and once they were able to catch their breath, they were back again on their feet. They collapsed shortly afterwards within a foot of each other. One was lean built and the other was a former police detective. Different background - but no difference in the running style.

This is how I have seen people behaving in real life too. Run/walk fast... slow down... rest... continue. Unless you train for it, you cannot just suddenly start running for couple of kilometers, albeit slowly. And that's what I intend to achieve by HIIT (high...). I run hardly for 6 mins at fast but sustainable pace and in-between, couple of times 10~15 seconds of very fast sprints. I take overall 16 minutes. Remaining time is all warm-up, cool-off time. BTW, what's the use of cardio if you can't strain your heart above a specific BPM*, for a short time? ;) And I log all the times/speed religiously, and improve during the next session.

Not asking rhetorically, but what do those slow-endurance-runners try to achieve by doing cardio, which is actually not cardio? I do not look at their machines to checkout their BPM. They looked quite relaxed to me... they could talk to their mates without huffing.

There was a famous guy who used to say that if you run everyday of your life, you cannot have a heart attack. He died of heart attack, probably while running. It could be because of his egg-whites ;) or liquor, but clearly his running didn't train his heart. And he ran for a long time.

Again, cardio for me is purely from the functionality standpoint. The way I try to teach road manners to just anybody, I believe it's going to save my life someday. :dead:

* It varies for everybody. Don't remember the recommended range.

Let me nitpick :)
Any method that burn more calories is more effective method. Weight training may be more effective for the exact duration it is being done.
:p It's okay, as long you accept that it burns more calories in each session... and also while resting afterwards, which cardio doesn't (I am not saying it, but people on the net are :cool:... blame them). So, the net result over a week tilts in favor of lifting.

But the intensities employed in weight training typically doesn't allow one to increase the duration and frequency. e.g one can run 5 km everyday but imagine squatting everyday (only if you are olympics lifter with loads of "help")
Do you believe in the figures shown by those uber-costly treadmills (lifefitness and the likes)?

If yes, then I can safely say that my lifting routine used to burn more calories in a week (2~3 sessions) than day-in and day-out of cardio. I've tried it. I am no longer that gym's member, otherwise you could see the log online. I always tell people to not to believe me but try it out for themselves. So if you have access to such machines, you can find out for yourself. Also, pay attention to which method makes you feel more hungrier throughout the day.

But the intensities employed in weight training typically doesn't allow one to increase the duration and frequency. e.g one can run 5 km everyday but imagine squatting everyday (only if you are olympics lifter with loads of "help")

I strictly log weights/sets/reps and the rest period between sets. To increase the intensity, you just either increase the former or decrease the latter. I strive to do more in each subsequent session - if I can't, I mark it as a failed session.

I look at the functionality aspect also. I should be able to lift somebody in case of emergency, as opposed to run for miles all alone. Weight lifting is much more rewarding, at least for me.
Human body is designed for endurance runs.
I really have no idea about this. I've read both sides of the argument.

Yes, most of our activities are of endurance type. But we do show bouts of extra strength when needed (not adrenalin aided)... that slow-twitch, fast-twitch muscles debate.

Now that I have done the nitpicking, let me be clear - I hate endurance activities...

Nah, it's just a healthy* discussion (*pun intended :p)

Even I hate it but I try to test my endurance periodically. I can climb 10 stories of stairs at a stretch. That's how high my office is. You know how ill-equipped NCR fire service is... though, I really should be worrying about getting down as fast as possible.

So my friend, I am not saying you are wrong. But you really need to convey the diet message properly.
How can I, when I don't follow it myself? For me -> Practice what you preach. :D

I restrict my discussion to exercising only. My logbook tells me if I need to eat more. I've never asked anybody to eat less/more, shun rice/meat. If at all, I ask people to pay attention to EFAs and good fats. Everyone seems to hate fats but in reality, they are your friends.

I eat whole eggs but never stopped/corrected anybody who eats only egg-whites. I haven't tested egg-whites diet so how can I give my opinion on what works better?

Also, please highlight if I mention something wrong about the diet... I'll learn something in the process. :bookworm:

I have converted my dejected, cardio loving colleagues to weight training. They were about to quit. Though it's important but I didn't discuss about their diets even then. They were happy because they could see the results in less time. BTW, they had access to certified dietitians in the gym.

If you find it confusing to calculate calories try eating less portions of food, for example 2 rotis instead of 3, half a bowl of rice instead of 1 bowl etc.
I'll still be clueless as I don't track my diet. I simply review my exercise log and decide if I need to eat more/differently. I have plenty of recovery days between sessions, so I can really make out if the things are going in the right direction.
Imp things to keep in mind are have meals at regular times, be consistant in your diet...
And that's what I don't do :p

I apply shock-and-awe method to my diet as well.

So just like Criminal, I also say the following things from my experience -

1) I have lost weight eating all the regular stuff I was eating before just by counting calories and making sure I maintain the calorie deficit. I just made sure that I exercised a bit more if I enjoyed a little extra fried chicken. However, counting calories does make one start eating healthy in the long term.

2) I read this somewhere and I also benefited from the following approach to losing weight.
I used to train with weights after a little warm-up. I used to make sure that I got really tired by the lifting alone. After that I used to do 20-30mins of HIIT either on treadmill or cycle. The logic behind this approach is that once you have run out of energy due to the lifting, the forced cardio makes the body turn to fat deposits for it's energy needs and hence this burns fats more effectively.

I agree with Criminal that even I only consider those exercises as Cardio which helps me achieve higher BPM and not slow walks on the treadmill, which though burning calories, are just too slow for the desired effect and non beneficial for training the heart muscles.

I am considering investing in an elliptical/cross trainer. Anyone has any recommendations. I don't want to spend too much unless it is absolutely necessary. I found one around 40k on Amazon with a 9kg flywheel while others in similar price range usually have a 6kg flywheel.
Yes. Find a park near by and use that.

Yes. Find a park near by and use that.

I wish it could be that easy. My house is surrounded by fields. I have been taking some pretty long walks and lost some weight with that and a calorie deficit diet, but it rains pretty heavily over here and we will also get quite cold winters over here, so I definitely need some kind of machine to do some basic cardio on at home. Found a good semi-commercial Viva Fitness Elliptical for around 90k. Same model is sold online for 1.6L. Will pick it up in winter.

What's your average elevation?
I next to the mountains :) so starting elevation is around 5500. we usually do a 1000-1500 elevation gain. The hike train near my place. we reach 6800. in this image I broke my all time record of 11k feet when we did a hike which started from 9450 to 11k. This month we are planning to start doing 14ers.

Last edited:
After that I used to do 20-30mins of HIIT either on treadmill or cycle. The logic behind this approach is that once you have run out of energy due to the lifting, the forced cardio makes the body turn to fat deposits for it's energy needs and hence this burns fats more effectively.
I did this for sometime to make my abs more prominent.

I wish it could be that easy. My house is surrounded by fields.
You've got something that most city people miss. You can do some pretty intense exercises in the open, like tire flips, walking squats, farmer's walk, resistance running (à la *Milkha Singh :p) etc. If you've got slopes/hilly roads then you have an excellent option for HIIT. Cold weather is a plus.

BMF2.jpg

Last edited:
basic cardio on at home
try buying elliptical trainer instead of tread mill. they are better for cardio. I initially did at our work and they have this heartrate sensor with which you can keep your zone.
but hiking a mountain keeps better spirit compared to doing something in the gym. Also you cannot give up in the middle because you are tired ;)

I used to train with weights after a little warm-up. I used to make sure that I got really tired by the lifting alone. After that I used to do 20-30mins of HIIT either on treadmill or cycle. The logic behind this approach is that once you have run out of energy due to the lifting, the forced cardio makes the body turn to fat deposits for it's energy needs and hence this burns fats more effectively.

I have been doing it other way around. I do some HIIT on the treadmill for 8/10 minutes followed some weight exercises.
I will try this alternate day to get some variations to the workout.

Skip Cardio, pay attention to diet. Cardio is the most stupid thing ever. Weightloss happens cause of diet, Muscles build cause weight training. Only thing cardio does is injuries. Maybe once a week low intensity to stress the CNS a bit is the max you should do. If you are very fat (120kgish) go for long walks on empty stomach early mornings. (Carry something to eat incase you feel dizzy).

Skip Cardio, pay attention to diet. Cardio is the most stupid thing ever. Weightloss happens cause of diet, Muscles build cause weight training. Only thing cardio does is injuries. Maybe once a week low intensity to stress the CNS a bit is the max you should do. If you are very fat (120kgish) go for long walks on empty stomach early mornings. (Carry something to eat incase you feel dizzy).
One can claim this only if people have actually decreased their resting heart rates, cortisol levels, blood pressure and improved their VO2max capacities without using any cardio.

Surely one cannot improve the above by using weights as strength training regime.

I hope you are not influenced by mono track fat idiots like Mark Rippetoe and his blind followers.

###
But you are right about effect of diet on body fat. The only thing that plays a bigger role than diet on the body fat is the quantity of (natural as well as injected) steroids and thyroid in your blood.

One can claim this only if people have actually decreased their resting heart rates, cortisol levels, blood pressure and improved their VO2max capacities without using any cardio.

Surely one cannot improve the above by using weights as strength training regime.

I hope you are not influenced by mono track fat idiots like Mark Rippetoe and his blind followers.

###
But you are right about effect of diet on body fat. The only thing that plays a bigger role than diet on the body fat is the quantity of (natural as well as injected) steroids and thyroid in your blood.
True, Point is, people obsess over it. I did say once a week maybe for all of those things. The problem is you end up ****ing your knees, or doing just cardio or inadvertently over training. That effort gives waay more returns in Strength Training especially in the beginning. If you add cardio after you're no more a beginner at strength training, it makes sense. People travel 8kms to gyms just to do cardio and I just cant facepalm enough.

Also I dont think the ideal body structure is the ripped one. It takes 24/7/365 worth of effort to maintain that. A much more comfortable level is something like 12% body fat.

Well. Again, I am going to ping pong the point being made here. That cardio alone is not good enough. Actually it depends on what your body want to end up looking like.

First off, I do cardio + weights every week now. My problems was, when I used to do cardio with proper eatine alone, I did drop weight on a nice pace but I started look like a sick person. Thin arms and legs, dull face. I was not fatigued or weak or anything. But my body looked like shit. clothes were always loose. When I use to sit on wooden chairs, my ass used to hurt. I could feel the bone or something.

Then I started adding weight training to the mix. Just 4 days a week. No, my intention was and is never to have a ripped body. I like food and alcohol. Also a software engineer. Dont use my body to make a living. So even if I want to, cannot have a six pack. Heheheeh. Now 4 years later and from being 135kgs, I am at a point of journey where I am extremely comfortable with. I am 173cm with 82~85Kg weight. I will always have a tummy that I am never going to loose. But its ok for me. I am still overweight according to BMI. But I look good damn it. I can bench 230 lbs. I can squat 180 lbs. I run marathons(the 26.2 mile ones) . Soon moving to Duathlons, may be triathlons if I can actually swim properly. I just float around and move like a tortoise. I "believe", I have a good upper body shape. Happy i am. But my tummy side is still flabby. Again, to loose that I need to drop a lot of more weight. Dont see the point to do that anyways.

Hmm... Some statements about excluding cardio almost entirely, imho, seem out of place on a generic fitness thread such as this. Beginners need to start off with a more balanced approach. Advanced enthusiasts can choose what works better for them, of course. But they are probably not visiting this thread here on TE seeking advice.

When it comes to fitness, it's best to avoid making any sweeping statements -
1. What is considered gospel truth by the scientific community at large in one decade may be frowned upon in the next. Every study has its critics, & many of the arguments put forth against it are often valid.
2. Fitness professionals /dieticians can often be biased and vouch for one method over another because it's good for business.
3. The media tends to highlight anything that's new & different from the norm. The more different it is from conventional wisdom, the greater the exposure.
4. People are guilty of only reading headlines & not the caveats. So you have notions like the "fat burning heart rate zone" (cardio) or the "after-burn effect" (strength), which in & of themselves aren't necessarily wrong. But often, the context is lost or ignored.
5. Some of the information out there is micro-detail & meant only for professionals/athletes who know what they are doing & want to eke out every single bit of utility possible from a given method. As with anything else, the law of diminishing returns applies. But it is often lost in translation for the average person.
6. Finally, the human body is complex. Add to it individual differences. What works for one individual does not always work for another. There are also many changes going on throughout the life of an individual.

I'm neither arguing for, nor against those who stated that cardio is unnecessary. You have tried & tested different methods, & achieved success. I highly respect that. It's just that I feel newcomers might jump to wrong conclusions when faced with such statements. So it's best to be a bit more conservative. This post is in no way meant to be antagonistic. Rather, it's an attempt to give a more balanced view for the sake of those who may be swayed.

I'll admit I'm probably being a bit over-sensitive. It's probably because of my own experience. Back when I was a kid, I saw an interview of Premchand Dogra where he said something to the effect of 'youngsters these days aren't eating enough chapatis..... so how can one expect to build muscle?' This was the late 80s/early 90s on good ol' Doordarshan, when there wasn't as much information about fitness easily available, unlike today. I heeded his advice & went from being a puny little kid to an overweight little kid, :p. Today, of course, there's all sorts of information out there thanks to the internet. & so this post is probably unnecessary as folks can do their own research. & yet...

Also, personally, cardio has helped me lose weight twice. Once in my teens, without any dieting, (& without any proper information). And again in my 30s, with dieting (& new-found wisdom). (It's a different matter altogether that I have not managed to keep it off though, :p).

Though I didn't track my progress in absolute terms on both occasions, I can say with confidence that losing weight in my teens was easier that in my 30s. It's probably fair to say that an individual's body will change over time & consequently, the most effective methods might change as well. Maybe even revisiting some approaches previously discarded could prove beneficial as well. In other words, discarding some method completely could very well prove detrimental. (As it is, every approach has its pros & its cons).

Here's wishing everyone good health & happiness. Cheers!

PS#1 - Apologies for the long post.
PS#2 - @hotshot05 You could consider intermittent fasting (popularized by Brad Pilon's 'Eat, Stop, Eat"). But given your ulcer issues, it's best to consult a pro before embarking on a dieting method as different as that.

Last edited:
Hmm... Some statements about excluding cardio almost entirely, imho, seem out of place on a generic fitness thread such as this. Beginners need to start off with a more balanced approach. Advanced enthusiasts can choose what works better for them, of course. But they are probably not visiting this thread here on TE seeking advice.

When it comes to fitness, it's best to avoid making any sweeping statements -
1. What is considered gospel truth by the scientific community at large in one decade may be frowned upon in the next. Every study has its critics, & many of the arguments put forth against it are often valid.
2. Fitness professionals /dieticians can often be biased and vouch for one method over another because it's good for business.
3. The media tends to highlight anything that's new & different from the norm. The more different it is from conventional wisdom, the greater the exposure.
4. People are guilty of only reading headlines & not the caveats. So you have notions like the "fat burning heart rate zone" (cardio) or the "after-burn effect" (strength), which in & of themselves aren't necessarily wrong. But often, the context is lost or ignored.
5. Some of the information out there is micro-detail & meant only for professionals/athletes who know what they are doing & want to eke out every single bit of utility possible from a given method. As with anything else, the law of diminishing returns applies. But it is often lost in translation for the average person.
6. Finally, the human body is complex. Add to it individual differences. What works for one individual does not always work for another. There are also many changes going on throughout the life of an individual.

I'm neither arguing for, nor against those who stated that cardio is unnecessary. You have tried & tested different methods, & achieved success. I highly respect that. It's just that I feel newcomers might jump to wrong conclusions when faced with such statements. So it's best to be a bit more conservative. This post is in no way meant to be antagonistic. Rather, it's an attempt to give a more balanced view for the sake of those who may be swayed.

I'll admit I'm probably being a bit over-sensitive. It's probably because of my own experience. Back when I was a kid, I saw an interview of Premchand Dogra where he said something to the effect of 'youngsters these days aren't eating enough chapatis..... so how can one expect to build muscle?' This was the late 80s/early 90s on good ol' Doordarshan, when there wasn't as much information about fitness easily available, unlike today. I heeded his advice & went from being a puny little kid to an overweight little kid, :p. Today, of course, there's all sorts of information out there thanks to the internet. & so this post is probably unnecessary as folks can do their own research. & yet...

Also, personally, cardio has helped me lose weight twice. Once in my teens, without any dieting, (& without any proper information). And again in my 30s, with dieting (& new-found wisdom). (It's a different matter altogether that I have not managed to keep it off though, :p).

Though I didn't track my progress in absolute terms on both occasions, I can say with confidence that losing weight in my teens was easier that in my 30s. It's probably fair to say that an individual's body will change over time & consequently, the most effective methods might change as well. Maybe even revisiting some approaches previously discarded could prove beneficial as well. In other words, discarding some method completely could very well prove detrimental. (As it is, every approach has its pros & its cons).

Here's wishing everyone good health & happiness. Cheers!

PS#1 - Apologies for the long post.
PS#2 - @hotshot05 You could consider intermittent fasting (popularized by Brad Pilon's 'Eat, Stop, Eat"). But given your ulcer issues, it's best to consult a pro before embarking on a dieting method as different as that.

Good post.Everything has its place. I do feel folks rely too much on cardio to burn fat. Weight training > Diet tweaking > Cardio in order of priority for most.

Hi, has anyone any idea about the cheaper (below 8k-ish) indoor exercise bikes?

Been generally reading about how the magnetic ones are better than the friction/air ones. But does it hold true at the given price point?

This one seems to be the cheapest friction bike - Lifeline 102.- while this one is among the cheapest magnetic ones - Kobo Magnetic Cycle. I've tried the latter in a local store & was quite satisfied with it. But if there's not going to be any difference between the two, I'd be happy to save the money. (The former has some very mixed reviews on Amazon to put a dent in my confidence).

Both do not have a fore-aft (forward/backward) seat adjustment however. That throws this one - Kobo MB-2 - into the mix. (Not sure if the design of the bikes are such that there is little chance of the knee going beyond the toe, thus making this feature not all that necessary). The other one that has this & isn't too far away from the budget is this one - Kobo Spin Bike SB1. Though that looks dhinchak, it isn't magnetic.

There's actually a bike which is quite cheap & claims to be magnetic - Kamachi BB-909. However, not every listing mentions that it is magnetic, so I have my doubts.

My attempts to verify the specs on the official websites of any of these have failed as none of them have these products listed (i.e. even if they do have a website in the first place). In fact, only a couple or so come to mind who have proper (for the most part) websites - Aerofit, Reach.....

Can someone please help clear the confusion? Thanks.

To add to the query above, is Domyos/Decathlon a good brand? Based on the website, it seems that I can expect good service at least, should things not be as advertised. They have a model called the VM 130 available for 7.5k which has mostly positive reviews on the Spanish Decathlon website. For the 2 reasons above, I'm leaning towards it.

I did try a couple of models (some in-house Hypercity brand). They both had a slight jerkiness which was enough to be off-putting. Both were ~10-12k after discount. So a high price doesn't necessarily mean quality.

So as things stand, the only one I've tried & liked so far is the Kobo 'X' Bike. It's between that & the Domyos atm.

Would appreciate if someone could chime in. Thanks.

Back