The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

To loose weight there should be calorie deficit

For strength training like SS/SL, there should be calorie excess

But I still want to drop another 6-7 kgs so am still on deficit(will prolly take another 4-5 months), will that stall my weights? Or am I still too much of a noob for it to matter

Hey guys i am posting here for the first time. I need recommendations and suggestions on my exercise plan.

EXERCISE ROUTINE

DAY
BODY PART WARM UP + COOLDOWN EXERCISE SETS REPS

MONDAY CHEST + ABS WARMUP -2 MIN WALKING + 3 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING PUSHUPS 3 15,15,15
INCLINE BARBELL PRESS 3 15,12,10
INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS 3 15,12,10
FLAT BENCH BENCH PRESS 3 15,12,10
FLAT BENCH DUMBBELL PRESS 3 15,12,10
DECLINE BENCH PRESS 3 15,12,10
PEC DECK FLYE 3 12,10,10
ONCE IN 2 WEEKS CABLE CROSS OVER 3 12,10,10

HALF CRUNCHES 3 25,20,15
DECLINE CRUNCHES 3 15,15,15
REVERSE CRUNCH 3 15,15,10
LEG RAISES 3 25,25,25
COOLDOWN - 5 MIN CYCLING HANGING LEG RAISES 3 15,12,10
TUESDAY BACK 2 MIN WALKING + 3 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING BENT OVER BARBELL ROW 4 18,15,15,10
3 KM RUN ON TREADMILL - TARGET BELOW 18 MINS BARBELL DEADLIFT 3 15,12,10
FRONT LAT PULL DOWN 3 15,12,10
SEATED ROWING 3 15,12,10
ONE ARM DUMBELL ROW 3 15,12,10
BACK EXTENSION 3 15,12,10

COOLDOWN- 5-8 MINS CYCLING

WEDNESDAY BICEPS + ABS 2 MIN WALKING + 3 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING STANDING BARBELL CURL 3 15,12,10
EZ BAR PREACHER CURL 3 15,12,10
STANDING DUMBBELL ALTERNATE CURL 3 15,12,10
HAMMER CURL 3 15,12,10
CONCENTRATION CURL 3 15,12,10

HALF CRUNCHES 3 25,20,15
LEG RAISES 3 25,25,25

THURSDAY TRICEPS 2 MIN WALKING + 3 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING
5 KM RUN ON TREADMILL - TARGET BELOW 30 MINS
CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS 3 18,15,12
BENCH DIP 3 15,15,10
SEATED EZ BAR FRENCH PRESS 3 15,12,10
V BAR PRESS DOWN 3 18,15,12
OVERHEAD BARBELL EXTENTION 3 15,12,10
DUMBBELL KICKBACK 3 15,12,10

COOLDOWN- 8-10 MIN STEPPER

FRIDAY SHOULDERS + ABS 2 MIN WALKING + 3 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING SEATED BARBELL PRESS 3 15,12,10
SEATED DUMBBELL PRESS 3 15,12,12
FRONT DUMBBELL RAISE 3 15,12,10
DUMBBELL LATERAL RAISE 3 15,12,10
UPRIGHT ROWING 3 15,12,14
REVERSE PEC DECK FLYE 3 15,12,10

HALF CRUNCHES 3 25,20,15
LEG RAISES 3 25,25,25
SATURDAY LEGS 3 MIN WALKING + 5 MIN RUNNING + ALL BODY PARTS STRETCHING FREE SQUATS 1 20
BARBELL SQUAT 2 15
SMITH MACHINE SQUAT 3 15,12,12
LEG PRESS 3 15,15,12
DUMBELL LUNGE 3 15,12,10
LEG EXTENSTION 3 15,12,10
LYING LEG CURL 3 15,12,10
STANDING CALF RAISES 3 20,18,15
SEATED CALF RAISES 3 12,12,12

COOLDOWN - LEG STRECHES

SUNDAY REST DAY

My aim is to have a lean V shape body, and fit body. I am presently taking NO powdered supplements. I am 23 Years old. If you guys recommend supplements please tell me why and of which brand and type.
I personally dont want to take supplements. Normal diet is the way to go for me.

I personally dont want to take supplements. Normal diet is the way to go for me.

Definetily a beginner. Also, one of the most absurd workout routine I have seen for a beginner.

@Dafreaking : I can too link to countless such articles rebutting your articles claim. The point is, this is the internet and there is always going to be a counter study for every research out there. Its more like a conspiracy theory, wherein there are always people trying to prove a study/claim wrong and come up with their own sensational version. In the end there are so many beliefs and so many myths surrounding bodybuilding and nutrition that it is quite impossible to judge which is true and which is false. I guess, like you said, whatever works for you should be the way to go. Whey has worked for people for many years now, least of all it is great low calorie source of protein.

@Nuke : You are not going to build much muscle mass on a calories deficit diet, this is a fact no matter what anyone tells you. If you are a beginner, you may have some noob gains but thats about it. But what weight training on a calorie deficit will do for you is help you in preserving the muscle mass you already have in the best way possible. Weight training is also extremely effective in burning your body fat. Therefore, stick with it, just don't expect to gain too much muscle while on a deficit.

^^

I can give you at least 200 people in very much beginner to at least 6 or 7 months old beginner category, who follows around 80% of that workout religiously. It was mine also once. not that i am a body builder.

And lots have very good results. Not everyone is online looking for best techniques. They follow what their trainers or buddies recommend them.

And for most average bloke will get definite bump from their current stats. Once they decide to go for long haul only they do "research".

My old trainer gang( 3 or 4) were buddies with Lots of amateur and pro body builders. Including the reigning Kerala champ. They all follow old school method, by words & results. They haven't even heard of 80% of the sites people mention in online forums. nor do they care.

[Not accurate math.Saying atleast 200 coz my old gym is part of a local chain and in tvm there are 4. my gym had around 50 people in my timings itself, so 50*4]

@BluffM

Very true. that's why I said whatever works for you works for you. Out of all protein Whey probably has the worst reputation because of the number of gastric problems with it. People love it because it takes exactly like a milkshake. I am against whey because I am trying to lose body fat...not bulk up.

Whey is like trying to pour 2L of water through a funnel that has a capacity to Hold just 1L.

m-jeri said:
^^

I can give you at least 200 people in very much beginner to at least 6 or 7 months old beginner category, who follows around 80% of that workout religiously. It was mine also once. not that i am a body builder.

And lots have very good results. Not everyone is online looking for best techniques. They follow what their trainers or buddies recommend them.

And for most average bloke will get definite bump from their current stats. Once they decide to go for long haul only they do "research".

My old trainer gang( 3 or 4) were buddies with Lots of amateur and pro body builders. Including the reigning Kerala champ. They all follow old school method, by words & results. They haven't even heard of 80% of the sites people mention in online forums. nor do they care.

[Not accurate math.Saying atleast 200 coz my old gym is part of a local chain and in tvm there are 4. my gym had around 50 people in my timings itself, so 50*4]

Decoding above workout....

Chest

Back

Biceps

Triceps

Shoulder

Legs

3 Sets 15-25 Rep range, Abs alternate day+warmup+streching

This workout takes minimum 90 mins....

There is nothing wrong with the workout as such. But it depends on what the goal is.

If gaining strength is the main goal then this is not the workout. This work out will mainly work for weight loss if clean diet is maintained. You cannot lift heavy weights in that rep range.

But 25 reps is a little high.

Since this is a 6 day workout to follow this and gain optimum results the most important thing is Diet and Rest.

This type of workout does not suite everybody since the recovery time is very less. The chances of getting injured is also very high.

You should always look for best techniques. This is not a Laptop or mobile to get it repaired. This is your own body. If you can invest your time in something else then why cant you spare some time to learn about your body. You have to....

Kerala champ or Andhra Champ or Karnataka champ..They all use steroids. I myself posted pics few pages back of karnataka Champ.

There is no single best workout. It all depends on what your goal is and how your body responds.

^^

Did u even get what i tell. I didnt say thats the best one nor i was recommending one. Just thats a expected workout. Not every trainer is sitting in front of a PC analyzing.

Saying that's the absurd might discourage the fellow. rather say few stuff.

Ps. The guy i said champ, know him since i was in school. So please, don't generalize.

m-jeri said:
^^

Actually in my experience, 90% of all people who workout with weights in a gym follow a similar routine. Many do so on the recommendation of the so called "self proclaimed trainers" (read steroid junkies) while others do so on recommendation from friends/fellow gym buddies. This doesn't make their workout routine any more effective then the proven and tested methods. You have to understand that for a beginner, any kind of physical activity in a gym would be productive, this is what we call "noob gains". But there are much better and safer ways to achieve the same result with a less stressfull routine. If you have decided to get into bodybuilding for the long-term then building a proper base is extremely important. With the kind of workout which "prakhar" posted you are not only risking injury but you are also sacrificing on building a solid base for future progress. Getting the technique right is winning half the battle and is also one of the most difficult things to do. You may be bodybuilding for years with an improper technique/form.

Since we are all here on TE and share a similar interest in technology, I can give you an example which you can relate to. Now, I think it is quite safe to assume that 90% of people who are capable of operating a computer, do not know the heads and tails of it. These people are absolutely clueless about technology and rely on heresay for their technological knowledge. The remaining 10% who do have a clue mostly like to share their knowledge on online forums like TE. Now if you were to take an advice for a future purchase, whom would you rather trust? Your friend who boasts of owning the latest Intel processor or members of TE who know what they are talking about? Just because your friend owns the latest Intel processor, it doesn't make him a technological expert, now does it?

Likewise, just because a dude is buff and sports a six pack and an 18 inch bicep, it doesn't make him a bodybuilding guru. We should rather give such tag to someone who is in the field for the better part of his life and has the research and results to back up his claims. In my opinion, internet is the best thing that happened to mankind and is most certainly the greatest invention of the 20th century. We should consider ourselves lucky to have access to such great resources and therefore should make the most of it.

Not every trainer is sitting in front of a PC analyzing.

This is why it is important to stay far away from such people and their advice. I am not saying every trainer out there is clueless but the ones who know their stuff are very few. Rely on tried and tested information, thanks to the internet you can now obtain that from the comfort of your home.

We are all here to help out each other. Isn't that the whole point of an online forum? Pointing a fellow member in the right direction is not discouraging him but rather helping him. Remember everyone was a noob once, no shame in that. :)

dafreaking said:
@BluffM

I am against whey because I am trying to lose body fat...not bulk up.

Whey is NOT going to make you fat. Infact, whey is even more important when you are on a cutting diet. Its a quite simple logic actually. Whey is protein, more protein helps muscle growth, the more muscle mass you have the more calories you are going to burn during rest and the more calories you burn the more you will lose your body fat.

prakhar said:
@bluffmaster

So what do you recommend for me.

Chart out a plan for me.

Fill this out first :-

Height :

Weight :

Body fat percentage :

Gym Experience :

Goal :

@Bluffmaster

Height:5 feet 8 Inches

Body Fat %: 19%

Weight: 67 Kgs

Gym Experience: 1 year

Goal: Fitness, Well proportioned body. Need to reduce tummy. I dont want too much muscular body.

I did quite some reading abt protein supplements and as Bluffmaster suggested Whey Isolate is the best source. I need to save up though, ebay listing shows price of 3700 which could last me a couple of months(will take 1g per kg calc).Until then I will finish off the protinex dabbas I have bought already.

My ultimate goal is - being able to do at least 20 chin up without gasping for air, being able to do kip-up like Dwayne Johnson & of course looking good. :)

Aphro_EVO said:
ebay listing shows price of 3700 which could last me a couple of months(will take 1g per kg calc).Until then I will finish off the protinex dabbas I have bought already.

Dont buy such stuff on ebay.

m-jeri said:
^^

Did u even get what i tell. I didnt say thats the best one nor i was recommending one. Just thats a expected workout. Not every trainer is sitting in front of a PC analyzing.

Ps. The guy i said champ, know him since i was in school. So please, don't generalize.

AFAIK that is the current scenario, no drug tests in competitions through out the country. I am sorry if I said anything wrong about your friend.
I think bluffmaster has already given a nice explanation above.

I am just trying to help here. I have learned the hard way i.e through lot of trail and error and wasting lot of time, injuring myself once.

I think it is waste of my time in this thread. I am out of this thread.

Bodybuilding is a profession where there is no luck only Hardwork.

"Never ask a question that you may not be prepared to have answered. " Mark Rippetoe.

I bought a Muscle-Tech 2Lbs pack, I am having difficult time figuring out how to consume it. Is it alright if I mix with water and drink straight up. Its forming lumps when mixed with milk(hot).

Aphro_EVO said:
I bought a Muscle-Tech 2Lbs pack, I am having difficult time figuring out how to consume it. Is it alright if I mix with water and drink straight up. Its forming lumps when mixed with milk(hot).

I'm guessing you're talking about their protein - Nitrotech. Yes, just put it in room temp - cold water, mix it by stirring or use a shaker and drink it.

@bluffmaster

Sir, kya aap mere sawaal ka jawab denge?

lagta hai aap apni he body banene mein busy hogae.

Resident Fitness Expert change karo,.,bhailog :D

Suggest me protein supplement for weight loss

Hello Guys,

i am overweight..and i thought of trying some protein supplements...

can some one suggest me good brands of whey protein supplement for weight loss which will be available in india?

I know hitting gym is good rather than going for supplements, but my weight is not going down with gym...

i tried HERBALIFE protein powder by skipping meals, it worked real well, i do not want to go with herbalife because it is too pricey,and it is just common protein product, we can get relevant products at cheap.. so, want to know which brand of whey protein for weight loss..and my plan is to use it for just 5 to 6 months(not long time, i know depending on supplements is not good).

Thanks.

Re: Suggest me protein supplement for weight loss

How Whey Promotes Weight Loss - Life Extension

Weight Loss Tips | How To Lose Weight

here are some link u might want to read...

but most of the protein supplements/shakes are not meant for weight loss!

u can take a look at healthkart.com , shopping.healthizen.com they have some good variety of protein supplements available!

the only reason i think you aren't losing weight is cause you aren't burning enough calories!!

to see results you should try to reduce your daily calorie intake and burn more calories through high intensity workouts,only then will you see benefits fast...

Re: Suggest me protein supplement for weight loss

First get two things straight
Supplement Definition
sup·ple·ment   [n. suhp-luh-muhnt; v. suhp-luh-ment]
noun
something added to complete a thing, supply a deficiency, or reinforce or extend a whole.
This is the only definition of supplements you should apply to protein powders, including whey protein.

secondly, supplements are rarely harmful, especially protein supplements. If taken in excess, they are simply excreted.
whey is nothing but milk-protein concentrate, and not artificially synthesised chemical.

Now that brings us to the main point.
Do protein supplements aid weight loss?
ans: NO. that simple.
but then why do people on a weight loss regime take them?
ans: because losing weight entails large amounts of exertion(cardio & weight training in equal amounts), while on a limited diet. and to exert yourself, you need energy which your limited diet is not able to completely provide, and hence you body will start using up the stored fats....IN AN IDEAL WORLD!
in real life along with fats, even your muscles are broken down, which leads to unnecessary strength & essential muscle tissue being used for energy.in order to prevent this, yo u need to supply your body with proteins.
But keep this in mind that the only thing that will lead you to lose weight is your hard work and not supplements.
so plan your workout and diet properly, have paitence and the results will come.

Back