The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

I'm finally not getting DOMS after every workout, yay

squats and deadlifts are at 170 and 225 pounds

bench is crappy at 125

overhead press stuck at 85

power cleans at 105

now, i cannot go beyond 235 pounds at my gym since there are no more weights :s

what can i do once i hit that number on deads and squats?

increase reps?

Nukeu is that 3x5 (Starting Strength) or 5x5 (stronglifts)?

I'm really trying to get my schedule straight so I can attend the gym 3 per week at least. I've only been attending once or twice per week entire last month. Funny how in pursuit of fitness I have to get other factors of my life in order =|

My lifts currently:

Squats: 170

DL: 180 (I've only been doing them once per week, need to step it up)

BP: 125 (stuck since last month :( )

OH Press: 75 (really pathetic)

All 3x5 too.

power cleans gives away that it is SS, not SL, ergo, 3x5 :p

i started with SL for a few weeks, but rip's the man

went up to 175 and 235 today

guys, can anybody suggest me which whey protein should i buy..

This would be my first experience with whey, and i'm looking for something not too costly..

My aim is to have whey protein when i'm craving for food, while i'd be having rotis as my meals with no junk food and currently no exercises except yoga (yeah, it helped me a lot the last time i lost my weight)..

I've got an irritable tummy and i reduced a lot of weight a few yrs ago, this time i'm gonna go all the way till i reach my always-dreamt-of physique..

Damn right. 1 set of DL is with 3 sets of squats, thatswhy he was able to do it as he ain't squatting heavy. 3x5 heavy squats then 1 heavy DL (post OHP) steams me out like a locomotive! DLs are notoriously known to quickly overtrain lower back. You'll overtrain without knowing it. As per both SL/SS Dls should not be more than 2 sets (one warm-up set)As if we follow the program DLs are done after squats and OHP and it targets the same muscles squat does. 1 heavy set is good enough more will work against us.

nukeu666 said:
If Mark Rippetoe says DL should be 1x5 then it should be 1x5 (with some warmup)

if you could do 5x5 means it the load was in the warmup range

DL uses the entire body so its not uncommon to see beginners starting heavy but technique is a big issue which comes with time. I learn everyday :p

Bluffmaster said:
^Even so, the deadlift uses the strongest and biggest muscles in our body, therefore doing heavy deadlifts isn't very hard even for beginners. As far as squats are concerned, 100 kgs even on a smith machine is a pretty decent weight.
Where is your gym? Does it have a squat rack? Are outsiders allowed?

Aphro_EVO said:
Hey Guys,

I am posting for the first time in this section. I have a query if you could help me with it. A little background before though - I lost 17kgs in the last 4 months simply by running and diet control, now I weigh 70Kgs which is quite alright for a 6 feet tall guy like me. However, I contracted Compartment Syndrome (blood clot in the calf muscle) 3 weeks back which happened because of excessive running on hard surface. Since then I have had to stop my running routine and I moved on to upper body workout at the gym ( I look quite skinny in the arms). Now I aspire to have lean muscle kind of body, I need the V shape but not the huge bulk. Currently I am unable to do chin ups, perhaps because my delts, trapezius and biceps aren't strong enough. In order to attain what I seek, should I constantly increase the weights on all my exercises or increase the amount of reps with lighter weights? I currently do 10 reps per exercise into failure. I am studying at an MBA college where we have a fully equipped gym but no trainer for guidance, thus this query.

Thanks
Walking on the road is also dangerous, anyone can kill u! When shakes are good post workout to get proteins quickly into the body. There will be haters ad abusers for everything. Plus IRON Addicts/bB.com need some topic/news every now and then. The more controversial the better.

dafreaking said:
Why Whey SUCKS! - Iron Addicts Forums

One of the many reasons. And people don't realize that whey causes a lot of their gastric problems and Insulin spikes. People like whey because of the taste and well everyone tells them that whey is brilliant blah blah blah. Lot of gym rat-science etc involved. At the end of the day whatever works for you works for you. If your body responds well to whey then by all means gulp it down.
As per Many good coaches including Mehdi/Glen/Rip fatloss is easier when we are muscled up. As per them keep calorie excess till u want to gain muscle/weight as loosing fat will be much easier afterwards. Despite knowing this i get shit scared drinking a liter of milk post workout, though my strength goes up so does my belly. On seconds thoughts these are experienced people and have been in this since the 80's and know their shiz so my advice to you would also be to keep calorie excess, worry about fatloss later :p:p Good thing: Fat burning effects of squats increase a lot once it goes above 100kgs ;)

nukeu666 said:
To loose weight there should be calorie deficit. For strength training like SS/SL, there should be calorie excess, But I still want to drop another 6-7 kgs so am still on deficit(will prolly take another 4-5 months), will that stall my weights? Or am I still too much of a noob for it to matter

Actually it is very difficult for youngsters to convince 3 sets of 5 reps 3 days a week would be better than Arnold's split training 6 days a week. Hence Mehdi added some extra "volume" to attract beginners (IMO), later he changed the program and stated that chins/pulls/ab work are "assistance exercises" once his site skyrocketed to success. Also his site is no longer free, its the "inner circle" now, charging monthly fee. Man is a success :p Plus he stated once 5x5 doesnot work (after 2/3 deloads) switch to 3x5 so the program switches to 3x5 anyway. Its more or less same but RIP KNOWS BEST!

Comeon man you should've had it with milk anyway.

raptor3624 said:
What's the expiry like, for Protein shakes after the tub has been opened? I have a half a tub of Dymatize Elite which I haven't used since almost an year.Guess I have to throw it away.

If someone has been lifting since 15 years and can hardly squat his body weight then he is a novice period! The training duration doesnot matter in this case. You'll see plenty examples in local gyms whov'e been "training for years"

Bluffmaster said:
^Rippetoe's programme is for beginners and not experienced lifters. Jeri says, he has been lifting from the past 2 years so I guess he ain't a beginner anymore. 5x5 is still a lot, stick to 3x5 for DL.

A friend of mine 35 years old 5'8" 55 kg, never worked out in life, the homeboy types (super skinny, to the extent people asking him "are you sick or something?") on my recommendation started having 1.5 liters of milk with 2-3 meals every day on July 1st 2011, gained 3 kgs by 21st July 2011 (in 21 days/for the first time in his life!) Then started 5x5 with me (my overbearing advices) on sept 22nd 2011, barely making 3 workouts a week due/skipping workout for sometimes a week due to various unavoidable reasons. Guy was reluctant to even walk into a gym previously is now squatting 45 kgs without my supervision (he started with free squats which he could barely do!), gaining muscle and losing belly at the same time. Can’t wait for him to squat body weight = 60 kgs! He weighs 60 kgs now! I think I got talent!

Ok guys, it is now close to 45 days since I started with British Nutrition Whey Isolate. The result is quite alright, nothing great I would say. But this is highly subjective. I have changed my workout routine quite a bit, therefore the results have been different.

I earlier used to do just the body building exercises with focus on just one target area each day - chest, back, triceps, biceps, shoulders etc. Since the last month, I am now more into functional fitness routine, I still do the old stuff but with lesser intensity. I am now quite a lot into BJJ/MMA type workouts(strength coupled with speed), which involves at least 2-3 sets of muscles in one go. It has been helpful, I am much faster and more agile than the guys who spend all their time lifting weights.

I should be hitting 200/100/250 on sq/ohp/dl next week :D

pc is at 120 and bench still sucks at 130 :(

The gym has only 255 pounds in barbell weights, so im afraid i will be stalling at that number due to external circumstances

alternative is to join a gold's gym that is opening up next door.....any feedback on how is gold's gym equipment and trainers wise?

what is the monthly cost like?

Not sure why you want to take Whey Protein unless you want to retain some muscle mass while cutting but as you are beginner i don't think you have considerable amount of muscle mass to begin with.
Calculate BMR
500-1000 calorie deficit through diet or cardio/weight training, i would advice both.

If you will want whey protein get Isopure Zero Carb (avoid dutch chocolate). Ideal choice of supplements would be Multivitamin/Fish oil and EC stack, although it is hard to find Ephedrine HCL in India now due to idiots using it for manufacturing of meth.

Ask gym owner to get more weights/change gym.
nukeu666 said:
I'm finally not getting DOMS after every workout, yay

squats and deadlifts are at 170 and 225 pounds

bench is crappy at 125

overhead press stuck at 85

power cleans at 105

now, i cannot go beyond 235 pounds at my gym since there are no more weights :s

what can i do once i hit that number on deads and squats?

increase reps?

Hi guys i badly need advice from you gys.
I am a skinny guy and never was interested in building up my body.
but i am pissed of by listening to people that i have become skiny blah blah...and also even i think that i am skinny.
So finally i gave a thought to build up my body a bit.

I dont want to be a body builder but a fit guy.
I am mostly interested in broadening of my shoulders.

And i am "aam aadmi"(mango man :p) so also suggest what food should i take.

I eat a lot but here is what i have for my food.
Every morning : Tea along with Chapathi,
Every afternooon for lunch:Chapathi with curry
Every day at 4 PM: Again Tea with Chapathi
And between 4PM to 7 PM some snacks or panipuri
every day at 8PM:Rice with dal(Max time) else curry.
Yes I eat 4 times a day :p but still skinny :(
And also every sunday and tuesday evening ,chicken or mutton.

And also twice a month fast food or chicken biryani.
Mostly i will hit gym by early jan.

So guys what would you suggest before i start gym.
I want to avoid mistake and wrong practice so your advice do mean to me .

Thanks guys in advance.

Thought of sharing for all the skinny guys out there.. YES.. YOU CAN!! :D :D :D

And yes.. thats me :p

92063720.jpg

I dont want to be a body builder
good you menitoned that...you may have become one accidentaly overnight

Want to get bigger?
1.lift heavy weights
2.drink milk...LOTS of milk...whole milk...start with 1 and go upto 3 packs/day

want wider shoulders?
pullups
lots of pullups

@Kauzy i can agree that you build up your body but how did your face got a little big.
and when is the pic taken.

Nishu said:
@Kauzy i can agree that you build up your body but how did your face got a little big.

and when is the pic taken.

lolz.. when a body grows.. it grows overall.. not only the lower body :p

pic taken few days back.. the "before" one was 2 years back.. @2009

Back