The Fitness Thread !

^ "You can only gain 5 pounds of muscle a year", "Squatting is bad for knees, play basketball instead for leg development"

OK after doing a lot of research i am taking my injury as Shin Splints.

Shin splints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following proper precautions and doing light exercise that doesn't burden up my tibia.

Any inputs ?

Had the same problem.....only good solution is rest...don't bother to run...try some other kind of cardio like cycling
i stopped running for 8-9 months after i suffered with shin splints....these days i am able to run without any pain but i usually prefer not to have a repeat of the same so avoid doing long sprints...just 5-10 mins max. More emphasis on cycling though.

^^well my swelling has almost subsided , only 5-10% remaining with some redness. Applying ICE daily , will take some inflammation reducing medicine like ibuprofen to further subside the injury.

Once I am well , I'll start running again but my main focus will be proper stretching which was the main reason for the injury. + strengthen hamstring, calf and other related muscle which will avoid future injury.
medpal Does ibuprofen / naproxen posses some side effects /? Shin Splints Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What is the treatment for shin splints? on MedicineNet
pisen I am not doing cycling as well, since I ride at a very fast avg speed doing it just added to injury so am just lying and bulking up these days :( waiting for the injury to heal. Hopefully it will be fine by 15th June.

I am 166 cms and weigh (now) 59.5 Kg..I was 64 kg about 3 - 4 months back. To reduce weight, I am Walking/Running daily for about 60 minutes daily. I run/walk for about 8 kms. Started with 4 kms and now doing 8 kms on a daily basis. Along with the cardio , i do bit (about 20 minutes ) of strength training too.
I recently joined a site called myfitnesspal.com . I was able to control my diet, thanks to that site. I now have a control over my diet and watch what I eat ect.

My main issue is the bulging tummy that I have and i am looking to reduce it. Also I have LGT ,so the cardio helps that too.

Right now I am using my society Gym (very basic). I do shoulder and chest pulley (not sure if I have used the names rightly) and lift weights using 5-5 kg dumbbells and about 30 sit-ups. 10 X 3.
I am still learning in terms of strength training exercise and looking to improve upon them.
Also If anybody can give me some info on where to buy the heart rate monitors in India..It will be helpful.

@Dark Star every medicine in modern world has its side effects but it happens only if you use it injudiciously and in very very excessive dosage.if you are taking it in proper dosage and for a limited time almost all medicines are not carrying any side effects. what you read on internet is all that is possible but what actually happens in real life is much safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
netarchie , why do you want lose weight , get into strength training and increase your fitness , AFAIK ( which is very little ) i think 64 kgs for your height is proper

Right now I am using my society Gym (very basic). I do shoulder and chest pulley (not sure if I have used the names rightly) and lift weights using 5-5 kg dumbbells and about 30 sit-ups. 10 X 3.
I am still learning in terms of strength training exercise and looking to improve upon them.
Also If anybody can give me some info on where to buy the heart rate monitors in India..It will be helpful.
Buy Ice Bag, Stop Watch, Protection Mat, Shakers & more in India | HealthKart.com

^^
thanks for the link..will check it out.
@kippu ..The Idea of loosing weight was in the hope that I will reduce my tummy as well! Alas! my weight reduced the tummy did not. So have now started strength training.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey people. I have been working out since the last 2 months. Not very regular though. I am 5"6 tall and weigh about 62 kgs. My body composition shows all levels to be within normal range though the fat level is on the boundary of being high. I have a tummy popping out as such sadly.

I was thinking of investing in some proteins and enhancing my diet as such. Should I go for Whey proteins or something like Protinex, Amway?

How are the following supplements:

1. Amway Nutrilite Protein Family Pack
2. Amway Omega 3 Salmon Softgels

I basically need one good protein supplement and one good omega 3 supplement as I do not eat fish at all. What are the best options available in India as such?

Thanks.

My work out routine as of now is as follows:

3 day weight training with 1 day each for lower body, back & biceps, chest & triceps.
2 days for cardio and abs.

I manage to work out 5 days a week only or so. Please advise if I should make any changes in gym routine as well. Thanks.

Similar query as above one of Mohit

I drink milk twice a day with Bornvita/Boost in it. Recently checked its nutrition chart and it has really low amount of protein and lot of carbs per serve.
Could any suggest better milk addon which has higher amount of protein.

PS : I dont take any protein powder, and do general cardio and some weight.
PSS : Not too expensive like 2.5k for a kg, also veg.. i m pure veg guy :p

How are the following supplements:

1. Amway Nutrilite Protein Family Pack
2. Amway Omega 3 Salmon Softgels

I basically need one good protein supplement and one good omega 3 supplement as I do not eat fish at all. What are the best options available in India as such?

Thanks.

I take SeaCod codliver oil capsules. Inexpensive and efficient. But the Amway Omega 3 Salmon for my father though since he's a heart patient and doctor recribed him that. Cant take chances with his health.:)

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Guys,

I need to install a wall mounted pull up bar in my balcony. Can anyone tell me where I can get one in Bangalore?I have pretty much tried every sports shop in Bangalore.

Please note, I dont want that crappy steel vacuum tube that can be stuck between door beams. I want one that can be screwed to the wall and can handle a good 100 kgs.

If not, I would appreciate some good designs of such pull up bars. I think they are still available easily up North in Delhi and Punjab easily.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Something like this would be quite fine
Ultimate Body Press Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar Gym *NIB* Free Shipping! LOOK! | eBay

^^ Have a look at B and D proteins. Don't remem the brand but you will get some info after googling them.

Thanxx for the info dude.. However, I googled it bit and all i am getting in results is about its chemical composition info etc.
Would be nice if you can tell the product name

Back