The Fitness Thread !

Has this in wish list since some months now... finally bought it today:

DSC00049_2.JPG

DSC00048_2.JPG

IMG-20151002-WA0032.jpeg

DSC00047_2.JPG

DSC00042_2.JPG

DSC00043_2.JPG

First observation of my mom after making first meal, gas consumption reduced by 40%. Good to begin with...

Attachments

• DSC00047_2.JPG
    DSC00047_2.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Guys,
Which is the cheapest place to buy weight plates, preferably iron, in Mumbai? I have heard that Chor Bazaar is the best place where we can even get it for Rs.40-50/- per kg. Does anyone know any particular shop I can directly go to?

Edit: I checked with a couple of friends and they are like you should go before 6 AM, else you could get caught for questioning by the police :| and you should not wear watches or good shirts and go like a pauper (WTF!) Is this true?

Last edited:
@Rockfella what exactly is that?
Hey these are some high grade kitchen utensils. Cooks everything in half time, without oil and the food tastes more natural. I am yet to fully explore full potential of these since they are overwhelming for my mom to get used to. The company originates from Germany. I am encouraging my mom and dad to gradually move on to this. I got the "classic set" with one pot removed and the heavy lid forth Rs. 14100 turns any pot into a pressure cooker. It is detailed. Get a demo if you can.

Last edited:
Interesting. I never knew such things existed. Looked pretty alien to me when I first saw it.
Neither did I an year ago. You MUST take a demo. Don't read online reviews, dumb people posting stupid shit as they don't bother to read the manual on how to use it and vent out like kids. This stuff changes how food is cooked. I have never tasted boiled veggies so tasty I had them with whiskey as snacks! The "classic set" can replace almost entire kitchen. The metal has 30 years warrantee :)[DOUBLEPOST=1447768912][/DOUBLEPOST]This "lid" makes everything cook rapidly. This was Rs. 14100.

http://in.secuquick.info/

Last edited:
Actually what this implement does is roast + low temperature steam.
Roasting is direct from the baseplate (which accumulates heat and releases it slowly), and steam from the internal water of meat and vegetables.
For cooking dehydrated stuff (rice, dals, etc) you definitely need to add water (just like regular boiling/pressure cooking).

I purchased one such utensil about 7-8 years back from AMC for about 10-12K because of my curiosity.

Honestly, I think it was way over priced, as I said the unique point is that it utilizes grill/roast along with steam. That speeds up the cooking while giving the taste which comes from the Maillard reactions (roasting/grilling).

But it cannot match the speed of pressure cooking (e.g. meat), since there is no elevated pressures involved.

The vegetables taste sweeter (just like it does when roasted) than the usual frying mode employed in Indian cooking.

So what would happen if you use a simple vessel to do the same what AMC does?
1. The food will stick to the bottom of the usual vessel
2. The lid of the usual vessel will not offer a seal, the steam escapes, the vessel loses heat and results in slower cooking
3. There will be no way of knowing what is the internal steam temperature with the usual vessels. Thus you may "overcook" and destroy the mild, sweet flavors.

So the million dollar question - can you cook the AMC way without using AMC hardware? Yes, actually you can. But then you will need to get a ceramic non stick vessel (which can withstand high temperatures, not the teflon ones), get a perfect fit lid along with it, get a temperature probe. But will it be as durable as AMC vessel. Not sure - the AMC vessel is literally built like a tank.

My advise would be to get the smallest and cheapest AMC बर्तन and judge for yourself whether you can see yourself changing your food style in future. Only then think of getting the entire set.

For me I feel that the INR 10K vessel was expensive but a good choice I made. I sometimes like to cook food in slightly different fashion (the AMC way) and I definitely employ it regularly to impart smoky/grilled flavor to vegetable.

Last edited:
Looking for a proper 3 to 5 day split workout. Any suggestions?
No strong lifts or anything that has squat every session.
Just go by your instincts, throw away the sets and reps and all that %RM load crap.
Do basic movements like horizontal press (bench or pushups), vertical press (dips or overhead), horizontal pull (rows), vertical pull (chins or pulley) and squat. Throw in some crunches and perhaps some curls too if you like to show biceps.

All movements everyday (or whenever you feel like training).
Question: But how do you go about actually doing the exercise?
Answer: Very simple. In the early teenage people get into frenzy of how "I can do more pushups than you" ... Use the same philosophy.
Say I can do 20 pushups today. How do I reach the goal of 50 (or 100) pushups?
Do 20. Take small break. Do some more. Take small break. Do some more. Take break. do some more. Take break. Reach the goal of 50 (or 100)
Don't think too much about how long rest, how many reps after rest etc. Use instincts, you have to reach your goal in the fastest possible time.
When you do this day after day after day, your body develops capability of doing 50 reps at one go.

What will this result in?
Try and seek :D
Yu may be really surprised if all along you have been only doing Rippetoe, Stronglift, Madcow etc or even bodybuilding.com templates.

Only one caveat - use light weights (something that allows you at least 20 reps)
[Your goal could be about 3 times the current reps]

You will have to throw away the hang-ups about
- only >x% 1-RM develops strength/hypertrophy etc
- muscles need y hours of rest
- you require >z calories to grow
etc

Last edited:
Actually what this implement does is roast + low temperature steam.
Roasting is direct from the baseplate (which accumulates heat and releases it slowly), and steam from the internal water of meat and vegetables.
For cooking dehydrated stuff (rice, dals, etc) you definitely need to add water (just like regular boiling/pressure cooking).

I purchased one such utensil about 7-8 years back from AMC for about 10-12K because of my curiosity.

Honestly, I think it was way over priced, as I said the unique point is that it utilizes grill/roast along with steam. That speeds up the cooking while giving the taste which comes from the Maillard reactions (roasting/grilling).

But it cannot match the speed of pressure cooking (e.g. meat), since there is no elevated pressures involved.

The vegetables taste sweeter (just like it does when roasted) than the usual frying mode employed in Indian cooking.

So what would happen if you use a simple vessel to do the same what AMC does?
1. The food will stick to the bottom of the usual vessel
2. The lid of the usual vessel will not offer a seal, the steam escapes, the vessel loses heat and results in slower cooking
3. There will be no way of knowing what is the internal steam temperature with the usual vessels. Thus you may "overcook" and destroy the mild, sweet flavors.

So the million dollar question - can you cook the AMC way without using AMC hardware? Yes, actually you can. But then you will need to get a ceramic non stick vessel (which can withstand high temperatures, not the teflon ones), get a perfect fit lid along with it, get a temperature probe. But will it be as durable as AMC vessel. Not sure - the AMC vessel is literally built like a tank.

My advise would be to get the smallest and cheapest AMC बर्तन and judge for yourself whether you can see yourself changing your food style in future. Only then think of getting the entire set.

For me I feel that the INR 10K vessel was expensive but a good choice I made. I sometimes like to cook food in slightly different fashion (the AMC way) and I definitely employ it regularly to impart smoky/grilled flavor to vegetable.
Since it was was my whole family I went ahead and splurged 52k same thing we do for petty phones and shit we don't really need :p

Last edited:
and just as i was about to order these, i see this!

California Prop 65 Warning
CA Prop 65 WARNING: These products contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

By moving forward with the checkout process, you verify that you have read the CA Prop 65 Warning, and purchase these products from iHerb with full knowledge.

iHerb is committed to compliance with CA Proposition 65 and to the safety of our customers. Accordingly, we provide the following warning for all products linked to this page. Read more about Prop 65 »

Carlson Labs, Elite Omega-3 Gems, Natural Lemon Flavor, 1250 mg, 180 Soft Gels

I bought these :

http://in.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-El...CRTYzLiq77U6VtXmshOLRTSD8W6DckidNcaAoci8P8HAQ

This brand (Carlson) is IFOS Certified, is affordable and highly respected, They have been making fish oils since the 80s.

IFOS:

http://www.nutrasource.ca/ifos/

Robb Wolf Author of the Paleo diet mentioned in his book that he likes 3 fish oil companies (doesn't endorse them!) Nordic Naturals, Carlson and Barleans. Nordic is expensive. Carlson is the best bet IMO.
Each softgel of Carlson Super Omega has 500 mgs (.5 grams) of EPA and DHA combined. When experts talk about fish oil dosage they refer to the EPA/DHA only, so just look at the EPA/DHA PER SOFTGEL! Ignore everything else. The global trend says fish oils from Norway is the best.

I ordered 380 softgels from iHerb.com. I paid Rs. 3185 while placing the order. The package was delivered in flat 4 days coming from USA. I paid Rs. 2310 as customs.
So in all 380 softgels set me down by Rs. 5500. Cost of one softgel : Rs. 14.47. If you have 3 of these a day your daily intake will be 1500 mgs (1.5 grams) of "Fish Oil" and will cost you Rs. 43.42 a day x 30 days = Rs. 1302 a month.
If you have 2 of these you get 1 gram of EPA/DHA a day. Monthly expense : Rs. 868.20 (approx). There is a lot of hoopla about dosages. Some suggest 10-40 GRAMS a day!! RDA recommends 300 mgs a day (Combined EPA/DHA).
The overall preferred dosage seems to be 1-3 grams a day : 1000-3000 mgs a day of EPA/DHA only. Other sources like flax seeds/nuts are not that potent. You will have to eat a LOT of nuts to get considerable oils from them. (it may drive you nuts)

This is what I will buy next time when current stock runs out :

http://in.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-El...CRTYzLiq77U6VtXmshOLRTSD8W6DckidNcaAoci8P8HAQ

This has 700 mgs per softgel. If you ask someone to get it from the US (skip custom expense) you will end up spending only Rs. 700-800 a month for 1.4 grams (1400 mgs) on one of the highest quality fish oils in the world! Once I get these I will stick with 2/3 caps a day for life.

View attachment 59895

Compare ON Fish oils and Carlson. ON is crap. Won't ever buy again. There are many cheap Omega 3 softgels available in India. Don't even bother checking them out lol.

View attachment 59896

and just as i was about to order these, i see this!

California Prop 65 Warning
CA Prop 65 WARNING: These products contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

By moving forward with the checkout process, you verify that you have read the CA Prop 65 Warning, and purchase these products from iHerb with full knowledge.

iHerb is committed to compliance with CA Proposition 65 and to the safety of our customers. Accordingly, we provide the following warning for all products linked to this page. Read more about Prop 65 »

Carlson Labs, Elite Omega-3 Gems, Natural Lemon Flavor, 1250 mg, 180 Soft Gels
I'm surprised too. Hey if you order them from iHerb to be delivered to India you end up paying huge duties. On a purchase of Rs. 3200 I paid Rs. 2300 (once)

Back