The Fitness Thread !

Just wanted to share an update regarding my shoes. If you keep an eye on the everyday showoff thread, you must have seen me showing off my Merrell Agility Peak Flex trail shoes. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HH8OVU2)
They looked like this when they were new.
IMG_2003.jpg

In the last few months I put more than 100 miles. maybe 150 miles on them and I absolutely love them. I had some of my most memorable hikes on them. The photo below is the narrows from zion national park. 9.5 hours of walking through virgin river from ankle deep to waist deep waters (cold). The shoes held up very good.
IMG_2432.jpg

So, if you hike a lot, you will quickly realize that you will need light weight shoes which are breathable and dry up really fast and not waterproof. for us, we hike mostly in really cold weather and in a lot of snow where you cant help but to get your feet wet. Like manitou incline (steepest climb in the world) that we did in -10C temperature.
IMG_2044.JPG

or other really cold places like this:
IMG_2029.jpg

Okay, enough showing off. now coming back to the topic... You will need light, breathable and quick drying shoes with really crazy good grip in snow, dirt and on rocks. These shoes check all the boxes perfectly. I didnt really go into "mud" because I dont like getting dirty. Also, I think these shoes are not very good grip in mud.
IMG_2646.jpg

If you see the above picuture, the area in the red circle is the special section which is extremely flexible with a lot of soft cushion. this makes the shoe extremely grippy while climbing big rocks. The part glues to the rock taking the shape of the rock and is very confidence inspiring. one of the main reason why I like these shoes. The thin yellow bottom sole is not so soft and has hard lugs which will give you good grip to hold while the middle part which is like a sponge helps the foot area flex and grip the rocks. really good if you are hiking a trail which has some kind of rock scrambling instead of just walking. (good workout :) )

To summarize the pros of these shoes:
  1. Light weight
  2. quick drying and breathable
  3. Very flexible and lot of cushion for support.
  4. crazy good grip
Now lets talk a little about who these shoes are not for. if you are wide feet and high arch like me:
IMG_2644.jpg

Both shoes started tearing on the side near the pinkies (1.) because I am a wide foot. I had to change my lacing style like shown in the picture (2.) because it was hurting the arch really bad. so much so that (3.) part of my both feet feel a bit numb all the time. the below picture shows how my feet actually is:
IMG_2645.jpg

Also, I broke the laces which came with the shoes so I had to use my paragliding brake like which is dyneema (strongest fiber ;) haha)

so to summerize the cons:
  1. dont buy if you have wide feet.
  2. or high arch
  3. stupid laces also the eyelets for laces.
on the closing notes; I am planning to go to the running store and talk to the guys and probably get Hoka one one speedgoat 2 or Altra Lone Peak 3.5. Please do suggest if you have any good models I should look into.

cheers,
booo[DOUBLEPOST=1526329048][/DOUBLEPOST]some more showoff :p
Image-1.jpg

small video
https://imgur.com/a/CcFJCQ4

Last edited:
Anyone here likes hiking/trekking? Last friday, did my favourite hike which is 8.5 miles (13.5 km) with 3200ft elevation gain. took around 2:15mins to the top. Planning to do a different hike today, near the same place but shorter (7 miles) but around 3000ft elevation gain.

btw, friday was the first hike with the hoka speedgoat 2. they were very soft on the feet. :)

^ elliptical trainer has low impact on your joints compared to treadmill plus has slight upper body workout too so I definitely prefer the former. however you're just 18, threadmill should be just fine.

as I say to everyone looking for weightloss, weight loss is done in kitchen rather than at gym. Fix your diet and calorie count

Between a treadmill and a elliptical trainer which will be more suitable for a beginner (18year boy) aiming for weight loss? Please suggest.
I would say, don't go to a gym. get out and hike mountains. because they are the best way to work on all the required muscles and more importantly "balance". walking on uneven surfaces/rocks makes a huge difference. its more satisfying, good for the spirit. you dont need to diet. dont need to workout every day. Also, get some trekking poles if you want upper body workout. they also help a great deal initially when you don't have the balance.

Yesterday’s hike was awesome. Got my ass kicked. Was feeling light headed at some point so it took 3hours up and 2 hours down. A part of the hike was similar to uncharted game in the jungle. Saw a double rainbow on the way back. btw, altitudes are 6000 at the start and 9000ft msl at the top. Here are some pictures.
EA46D03F-CE6E-47B8-8A26-911A60DF886A.jpeg
55A8CE73-DF09-4B54-B23F-B64E66254875.jpeg
97BBC9A5-5344-40FC-82F7-D21BFEE9E5FB.jpeg
25D1AD5F-0E4F-4A9D-AC33-83DAAC5A8653.jpeg
9B145348-BAAB-4F3F-A61D-EA1057157B29.jpeg
89B027D9-2075-4B44-BC56-538B2D97802E.jpeg

Last edited:
did another 13er (13220ft/4030m) yesterday. We were doing offtrail all the time walking in fields of wild flowers. :)
DSC06388.JPG
DSC06374.JPG
DSC06377.JPG
DSC06384.JPG
DSC06386.JPG
[DOUBLEPOST=1530860379][/DOUBLEPOST]The last few hundred feet was class 3 rock scrambling. first time for me. it was fun. Also this is why I don't prefer elliptical/stair master etc... equipment. they don't give you the kind of balance you need on terrain like this. it was a full 6 hour ankle workout. :)

Last edited:
@booo Beautiful photographs there.

Since you are so much into Hiking, why not try Rock Climbing?

Don't know where exactly you live, but many cities in US have Climbing gyms. Give it a go, its lot more fun.
As opposed to running, in rock climbing practicing at gym is important to improve climbing ability, before you go climb outside. You need technique and high power to weight.
If you get hang of it, am sure we will see posts from your from Yosemite.

To get interested search for videos of Adam Ondra, Chris Sharma, Alex Megos, Alex Honnold and the likes.

^Last time when I hiked Mt. Hagar, the last few hundred feet was rock scrambling. It was first time for me but it was fun. the place's name where I live is literally called "boulder". actually I am friends with cedar wright. we fly together, a bunch of our flying friends are rock climbers. but yeah, I might go to a climbing gym some time. not yet.
I am posting pictures here just so that people get motivated to get out of the house. There are many meetup groups in India who do this too.

^Last time when I hiked Mt. Hagar, the last few hundred feet was rock scrambling. It was first time for me but it was fun. the place's name where I live is literally called "boulder". actually I am friends with cedar wright. we fly together, a bunch of our flying friends are rock climbers. but yeah, I might go to a climbing gym some time. not yet.
I am posting pictures here just so that people get motivated to get out of the house. There are many meetup groups in India who do this too.

Wooha, flying with Cedar Wright! That's some elite company to have.

If you are healthy enough you can keep earning till your last breath.

But if you only have money with a poor health then its all waste as you got no peaceful life and major part of the money goes in correcting your health depending on how badly it is affected.

Hey Guys,

Iam looking for a cheap blender mixer which i can use to make protein shake which will mostly be a blend of oats (powdered), protein powder, banana, milk.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

So far i have one in my mind :https://www.amazon.in/Whipsip-Personal-Blender-Smoothie-Portable/dp/B072DYSMN5

but i am not sure if it will be able to grind oats?
I use the blender of my regular mixer grinder set. I wash the container myself and drink it straight from there. Keep it simple. Product your mentioned won't last much.[DOUBLEPOST=1549170076][/DOUBLEPOST]

I am posting pictures here just so that people get motivated to get out of the house. There are many meetup groups in India who do this too.[/QUOTE]

Where in India?

^search on meetup. There is one very active group in Hyderabad. I know for sure there are many groups who hike around Pune/Mumbai. My friend went to roopkund trek with his meetup group from Hyderabad.

^search on meetup. There is one very active group in Hyderabad. I know for sure there are many groups who hike around Pune/Mumbai. My friend went to roopkund trek with his meetup group from Hyderabad.
when did your friend go to roopkund? theres a chance he went with me :D

btw group is called Great Hyderabad Adventure Club. There are also other groups like Hyderabad trekking club, Hyderabad adventures and trekking club (HATs), wildwoods adventure clubs, The Great Escape etc etc

Back