User Guides The Gaming Mouse Guide

With so many gaming mice out in the market , It is simply a herculean task to get the one which would fit you right. Your skills do matter while playing a game , but couple it with a mouse and it could make a lethal combination , give you the edge which you have been looking for all along … The search for your mouse ends here. Mus musculus :cool2:

mouse1e.jpg

While getting yourself a mouse , you will have to take the following factors into consideration –

• Cost – The Most important factor , as far as I’m concerned . I would not pick up a high end MMORPG typed mouse for playing an FPS game like counter strike – While an MMORPG would cost you Rs.5000 , an FPS mouse would do good at Rs800 – All depends on the features you are looking for .

• Hand Grip & Ergonomics – Every human is an extremely unique being , with that said , He holds the mouse in many different ways , you might hold it one way and I another , It is very important that you take this into consideration and then buy the mouse , buying a mouse just for its features and not giving a damn about ergonomics is downright dumb !

There are a lot of types of mouse grips around :

• Palm Grip

• Claw Grip

• Finger Tip

• Your own method of holding , post a picture – I’m always curious

For more on this Visit – Razer Ergonomics Guide

• Sensitivity - This is one more question you will have to ask yourself before getting that little mouse to its new home and this is a highly over rated one. Higher mouse sensitivity means the mouse is more responsive to the mouse’s movements , Sensitivity is measured in DPI (Dots Per Inch – Dots per inch - The basic funda is - higher the dpi , lesser your movements . But just because the mouse has a very high sensitivity doesn’t mean that it is a better mouse – in most of the cases higher the sensitivity means your hand should be more stable , or you’d have to switch to a lower sensitivity. Some of today’s mice come with adjustable DPI while in-game , but beware the button might be in a place you don’t want to mess around with while getting fragged in the other end – right beside the tracker below the mouse . This is one of the most important things I’d like to stress – Higher DPI is a marketing hype , If you are someone who doesn’t move the mouse around much while gaming then a high dpi mouse is good , if you generally tend to move the mouse quite a bit , then a high dpi mouse isn’t your plate of mouse :p

• Macros - You have a specific command line to be performed in-game but you don’t want to type it on the keyboard ? Fear not , you have buttons on the mouse just for that purpose .This comes as a boon especially for those MMORPG game play guys – like DoTA, WoW etc. There are a lot of these types of mice in today’s market , but you might want to get yourself something that doesn’t have too many pages , and not too little , just right – like the penguin in Oswald – if you know what I mean ;)

• Other things to consider – Now the other factors mainly include wether you want your mouse wired/wireless , basically for those who have that extra pound to spend on the mouz – Really doesn’t matter , all the latency/relay lags which people say wireless mouse might experience is hardly noticeable even if it does exist, so if you are going with a good wireless mouse , then don’t have second thoughts . Next comes the bling factor , lighting ? Awesome , you don’t want lighting – Im cool :p Then , another additional feature which comes with today’s mice is the slotted weight option – this gives that extra comfort edge while playing.

--ALWAYS GET A FIRST HAND FEEL OF THE MOUSE BEFORE YOU BUY IT --

^ Once you get a mouse and then not feel good about its shape is just pointless :|

• Folks , that’s about It , (with the introduction) if you did patiently read through the factors to be considered , then I hereby pronounce you mouse literate :D

• The criterion which we are going to take in comparing the mice are

• Tracker - Scroll / Optical / Laser

• Max Resolution

• Cable Length

• Cost

Now coming down to the List of nominations …

1. Gigabyte GM-M6800

gmm6800.jpg

This is one of the cheapest gaming mice you will find in todays market but doesn’t look like something that costs as much , has pretty decent looks with the typical gaming mouse curves – but the build quality is pretty ok’ish.

• Tracker - Optical

• Max Resolution – 1600 DPI (Adjustable)

• Cable Length – 1.5 Metres ( Non Braided)

• Cost – Rs.675.

2. Logitech MX518

hirl1gtuotekuvahiirilog.jpg

Ah , the old reliable – This has been a mainstay mouse for many gamers and gaming enthuisats alike , provides a great feel for the hand and performs great ! , comes with a soft sculpted ergonomic grip which provides just the right comfort while gaming – But beware this grip might just be a turn off , wears down considerably after use .

• Tracker - Optical

• Max Resolution – 1800 DPI (Adjustable)

• Cable Length ~2metres

• Cost – 1300 Rupees ( Non Braided)

3. Razer Abyssus

38d92e64c4164911b8e772a.jpg

This is a gaming mouse made for regular computer users as well as gamers alike, containing only 3 programmable keys . But this has quite a punch , with an IR sensor inside , it makes it one of the most simplest yet accurate gaming mice yet .

• Tracker – (Infra Red) Laser

• Max Resolution – 3500 DPI

• Cable Length – 7 Ft (Non Braided)

• Cost – 1,350

4. Microsoft Intelli Explorer 3.0

microsoftwiredintellimo.jpg

Microsoft's updated IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 brings a few gamer-friendly tweaks to the design of the venerable mouse , this still is a bit buggy , but hopefully it gets resolved soon. This mouse is quite good for both normal browsing and gaming . Also , the build quality has is not that very impressive - sloppy rubber padding and plastic - needs a 4.0 imo :bleh:

• Tracker - Optical

• STANDARD Resolution – 500 DPI

• Cable Length – 1.8 metres (Non Braided)

• Cost – Rs.2000

5. Razer Death Adder

deathadder4.jpg

The current best selling mouse, has great features , build quality is great and doesn’t show signs of a lot of wear and tear on its texture. Death Adder gaming mouse has pin point accuracy and comes bundled with an excellent customization software, and two responsive thumb-side buttons .

• Tracker – (IR) Laser

• Max Resolution – 3500 DPI

• Cable Length - 7 Feet (Braided)

• Cost – 2,100 Rupees …

6. Steel Series Kinzu

jqqfb6.jpg

This is one of the most comfortable mouse you can find , looks quite ordinary , performance is pretty damn killer , and does a great job in FPS games , only downside is that It has only 1 macro button , so limited modifiable options make it less popular among those who play games where a lot of macros are used , but then people who play a lot of CS , CS: S will love it – I love this mouse , lot of professional CS gamers feel so too …

• Tracker – Optical

• Max Resolution – 3200 CPI (Counts Per Inch)

• Cable Length - 7 Feet (Braided)

• Cost – 2,100 Rupees …

7. Arctic Cooling M571
9znlky.jpg

This is quite an interesting mouse , with a new egro shape , I haven’t personally tried it , going by its looks , I’m guessing it will do quite good , comes are a pretty cheap price , haven’t really seen gaming Laser mice so cheap (TE – Dealers Paradise) , If anyone has tried this one out , please do comment on its performance , quality. Comes with slotted weights , which again is another plus .

• Tracker – Laser ( Seems it works on glass , it’s a first for me !)

• Max Resolution – 2400 DPI

• Cable Length - 1.8 Metres (Don’t know wether braided or not)

• Cost – 1250 Rupees

8. Steel Series Ikari

ikarioptical.jpg

The SS Ikari is designed with a more broader range of game generes being covered . Ikari is typically suited for FPS , MMO and RTS games . It is typically suited for people with medium sized palms , right handed design , but almost looks bilaterally symmetrical. Only downside on this one is the build quality , it just doesn’t seem to pan out properly .

• Tracker – Optical

• Max Resolution – 3200 CPI

• Cable Length - 6.5 Ft (Braided)

• Cost ~Rs.3000

9. Razer Naga

razernagarz0100280100r3.jpg

The king of all MMORPG games , this mouse is THE one if you are totally into MMORPGs like DoTA , WoW etc . With 17 Programmable Keys things can get quicker for you to perform specific command lines while in-game , this is surely one heck of a mouse – but it does come at a price…

• Tracker – Laser

• Max Resolution – 5600 DPI – MegaWOW !

• Cable Length ~2 metres

• Cost ~ 5k Rupees (Wide variation in prices)

10. Razer Mamba

razermambaf.jpg

This is certainly the most $3X!3$7 of all the mice I’ve gamed with ! The oomph factor on this one is just amazing , Smooth curves , dashing looks and the bling all add up to give one hell of a mouse ! Wireless or Wired the mamba is just drop dead gorgeous , this one would make quite a big hole in your pocket , so caveat emptor !

• Tracker – Laser

• Max Resolution – 5600 DPI – MegaWOW !

• Cable Length - :p

• Cost - 7k Rupees

• Battery Life ~14 hours , continous gaming

That’s about it for now , I guess that’s a small bit of information on gaming mice , tonnes out there , which are not included in this list – Make sure you find the right one for you , good luck !

Also , Im making a small table of sorts which I'd include in the top , some what of a reckoner which will give all the needed data , Currently in progress , will add it once I'm done .

PS : All criticisms and comments welcomed , my first guide/tutorial – I do have a lot to learn so please help me do that , Also if any typographical errors found , then please do leave a comment , will be very thankful to you for that bit of help .

I hope you found this article useful,

Thank You :)

Good effort. Repped:).
I still prefer intelli 3.0 for cs
and still own one of my favourite logitech mx310. Had got it for 450 3yrs back. Damn good value back then. It's sad its no more available.

max_demon said:
I have played every popular fps games with different mices, I have tried Deathadder, kinzu, lachesis, mx518, logitech g9 also I have used my friends laster ikari and Mamba (which sucks). I find logitech g9 to be the best among these as it forces a claw grip, deathadder is good too.. however Kinzu and Mamba don't deserve to be in this list and also Razer naga is just for mmorpg's

Mate , I dont quite get you , the Mamba . DA . Kinzu have been by far the best mice i've ever gamed with , I own a Kinzu and I love it , Earlier had a MX518 and that was awesome too . The naga is the only "dedicated" mmorpg typed gaming mouse I can think of which has so many features at the price point .

The mamba does burn a deep hole in the pocket , but then Its an awesome mouse , If I could afford it , i'd certainly buy it. :)

buddingwhizkid said:
Very nice guide dude !

i am about to buy a new gaming mouse soon and neded an article just like that !

thanx a lot , it helped me :)

by the way i have a grip that is between claw and palm( lol ! i know it sounds vague ! ) !

which mouse should i get ??

i play cod4 mainly , and am confused betwen AC-m571 and razer DA !
-Claw and Palm - Doesnt Sound vauge , As I said from the review , There are a lot of unique grips , but some of the most common are what I mentioned

Razer DA Is one hell of a mouse - the only thing I can say is that you have to try the mouse before you buy it , but one thing is for sure , the Razer is a tried and tested mouse , works great , built sturdy and the functionality is amazing - but then I havent tried out the M571 so I cannot tell , this is one mouse Iam eagerly looking forward for - @1.3k the pricing and the features are just great - the build and the functionality are the ones that need a check

^^ :)

Nice guide.
But it would be better if you could provide two ratings for Each Mouse. A Performance Rating and a Value Rating.
Then Make Subcategories like Best Mouse Under 1000,2000 etc and give them your own award. This would make it look more professional to say the least.
Like i am looking for a mouse and after going through your guide i know what to expect but not to what degree.
Hope i didnt offend you with this post.
Bty i forgot, I am looking for a Mouse. I have a Claw grip and i hate it when most of hand rests on the (surrounding surface other than the mouse). I have heard that Kinzu is a not suitable if u have Medium to Large hands.

Kinzu is too small .. use MX 518 or Ikari if you got big hands.

^ Given ur preferences I would recommend the Ikari Optical.

sidk47 said:
@ Topic Starter,

Please clarify if mouses with high DPI, will make turning in games like GTAIV smoother?

I dont have an idea of what the problem really is to be honest , havent played that title yet , except for an hour or so , so can't comment :(

How can you leave out the G500 and G700?! Those are two of the best mice ever made; you can buy them blindly as they're all based on the tried and tested classic MX500 design, like the G5 & MX518.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anything above 2000 DPI is unusable. Most games do not have sensitivity settings low enough to use them.

sickizblank said:
deathadder seems to be the best buy amongst em all! :)

nice work btw.
Thanks mate ,DA is a awesome buy , pretty ergonomic , more like a person would get used to the mouse after using it for a while , also consider the gigabyte gm6800 - the quality isnt that bad , and at that price - great mouse i must say ..

desiibond said:
awesome guide. repped :)
Thank you mate :)

Oh man.. I used to think my G5 was awesome, and forced myself to assume that the IE3 was awesome ( didnt feel right though ) but my Ikari is so good it got me banned from a Source Pub today. 51-9 isn't a great score, but still, the style with which I was clutching 1v4 rounds ( its pub, happens a lot :S ) was magnificent.

So, for those who have big hands ( the length from tip of my middle finger to base of palm is 8" and width of my palm is 3.5" ), I'd seriously recommend the ikari.

And I'm playing with a half claw, half palm grip. Its just very comfortable.

Nice guide. By the MS has released the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 Legends Edition which seems to be of a better quality and solves some of the build quality issues. Availability is a major issue though. Waitign for it to release in India soon.

ESR - Hardware Forum

Back