The Google Nexus S Thread!

Rahulrulez said:
Being a Google's phone, Nexus S will always receive special attention and updates from google :) Secondly, Nexus S is direct copy of Galaxy S... We can easily port everything that Nexus S receives to Galaxy S...

who needs special attention when you have 2 cores inside , developers will fascinate LG star more then Nexus S and thats all matter , I am sure there will a cyanogen mod for star ,the only thing it has to worry about is Motorola Olympus , the phone i can live my rest of life with !!

There is always some new technology on the horizon which is gonna come in market in coming months <_<
Nothing is wrong with the phone as such. No doubt will get great community support also.

For ppl looking for a phone "right now" and not willing to w8 for 3-6 months, this is the phone to buy. Again its all about preferences.
For ppl already with current generation phones, its not an worthy upgrade. You better w8 for dual cores.
BTW pls dont comapre first gen snapdragon with the current gen processor :)

Rahulrulez said:
Being a Google's phone, Nexus S will always receive special attention and updates from google :) Secondly, Nexus S is direct copy of Galaxy S... We can easily port everything that Nexus S receives to Galaxy S...
No, you can't. There are still quite a lot of differences between the two. It's not a direct copy at all, not like N1 --> Desire & G2 --> Desire Z.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rahul21 said:
who needs special attention when you have 2 cores inside , developers will fascinate LG star more then Nexus S and thats all matter , I am sure there will a cyanogen mod for star ,the only thing it has to worry about is Motorola Olympus , the phone i can live my rest of life with !!
You're really naive to think developers will "fascinate" the LG Star over a Nexus S. FYI, I'm pretty sure Nexus S will have more developer support than the LG Star. Or Optimus 2X as it is called now. Lots of developers are loyal to HTC, and Google as well. And if you really go for the dual core phones, don't be sad if Nexus S owners smile at you when they get Honeycomb and you have to wait 2-3 months for it.

rahul21 said:
there is already a video on youtbue which compares it with galaxy s and iphone 4 , after watching you might consider waiting btw It wd be coming out within a month in korea .

btw I am big Google fan but Nexus S is an big disappointment , Nexus One set is own rule by offering 1 GHZ proc with 512 MB ram and a 800 * 420 resolution almost year after we have Nexus S which is just the same !! wtf wrong with google. Humingbird , curved screen or NFC are just the ring and bells !! dual core with super amoled 2 cd hav made the diff !!

Dual core chips are not ready for the market as of yet. I'm pretty sure Google knows MUCH better than you what to do with their Nexus lineup. The logical reasons IMO, why they released the Nexus S:

1) Nexus One's multitouch capabilities are really poor. Max 2 fingers, any more and it starts having problems.

Some of the features in the new vector maps in Maps 5.0 requires multitouch, which the N1 cannot properly showcase. This is just one example. Google has added 5 finger multitouch API, which again Nexus One wouldn't have been able to demonstrate. Especially for gaming.

2) N1's GPU is abysmal. That is a very well known fact.

If you look at the 2.3 improvements for the developers, there are a huge number of API's especially for gaming. How will the Nexus One showcase all these improvements with such a weak GPU? Also, developers normally use dev phones such as N1 for testing. Again, which would have not been enough for gaming development.

3) They want to push NFC capabilities. Obviously for you'll it doesn't matter, but for Google and US it does.

Self explanatory.

4)Other hardware additions such as Gyroscope etc.

Again, to showcase the new API's in 2.3, which adds support for gyroscope, barometer, etc.

Nexus S has great multitouch capabilities of 5 fingers. It also has one of the best GPU's currently in the market, better than the one that is in the iPhone 4(PowerVR SGX540 vs PowerVR SGX535). And you can see for yourself the awesome games coming out for the iPhone 4.

Google decided that the SGS hardware was the best hardware currently to adopt. And so they took the Hummingbird chipset, made changes of their own, (Gyroscope, NFC, different WiFi & GPS chip, different Bluetooth chip, Curved Screen) and released it, a new phone for the developers to use and test their apps on. And it still is a great phone, will be a great phone till a new Nexus phone comes out.

If you as a consumer were expecting awesomesauce new hardware such as a dual core and 1080p recording and what not, well, Nexus S isn't for you. Pick up the Motorola Olympus or LG Star. But do note that, while you have awesome hardware to brag and use, they're limited in the end by software, which is as equally important as hardware. And software is where the Nexus S will remain ahead of the pack, for eg. when Honeycomb releases or any minor update for 2.3 releases.

Superfrag said:
No, you can't. There are still quite a lot of differences between the two. It's not a direct copy at all, not like N1 --> Desire & G2 --> Desire Z.

You're really naive to think developers will "fascinate" the LG Star over a Nexus S. FYI, I'm pretty sure Nexus S will have more developer support than the LG Star. Or Optimus 2X as it is called now. Lots of developers are loyal to HTC, and Google as well. And if you really go for the dual core phones, don't be sad if Nexus S owners smile at you when they get Honeycomb and you have to wait 2-3 months for it.

Dual core chips are not ready for the market as of yet. I'm pretty sure Google knows MUCH better than you what to do with their Nexus lineup. The logical reasons IMO, why they released the Nexus S:

1) Nexus One's multitouch capabilities are really poor. Max 2 fingers, any more and it starts having problems.

Some of the features in the new vector maps in Maps 5.0 requires multitouch, which the N1 cannot properly showcase. This is just one example. Google has added 5 finger multitouch API, which again Nexus One wouldn't have been able to demonstrate. Especially for gaming.

2) N1's GPU is abysmal. That is a very well known fact.

If you look at the 2.3 improvements for the developers, there are a huge number of API's especially for gaming. How will the Nexus One showcase all these improvements with such a weak GPU? Also, developers normally use dev phones such as N1 for testing. Again, which would have not been enough for gaming development.

3) They want to push NFC capabilities. Obviously for you'll it doesn't matter, but for Google and US it does.

Self explanatory.

4)Other hardware additions such as Gyroscope etc.

Again, to showcase the new API's in 2.3, which adds support for gyroscope, barometer, etc.

Nexus S has great multitouch capabilities of 5 fingers. It also has one of the best GPU's currently in the market, better than the one that is in the iPhone 4(PowerVR SGX540 vs PowerVR SGX535). And you can see for yourself the awesome games coming out for the iPhone 4.

Google decided that the SGS hardware was the best hardware currently to adopt. And so they took the Hummingbird chipset, made changes of their own, (Gyroscope, NFC, different WiFi & GPS chip, different Bluetooth chip, Curved Screen) and released it, a new phone for the developers to use and test their apps on. And it still is a great phone, will be a great phone till a new Nexus phone comes out.

If you as a consumer were expecting awesomesauce new hardware such as a dual core and 1080p recording and what not, well, Nexus S isn't for you. Pick up the Motorola Olympus or LG Star. But do note that, while you have awesome hardware to brag and use, they're limited in the end by software, which is as equally important as hardware. And software is where the Nexus S will remain ahead of the pack, for eg. when Honeycomb releases or any minor update for 2.3 releases.
Tegra 2 is not new to android , since many tabloid such as ViewSonic G PAD are already in market for a while and hv proven there metal .Nexus S is realtive better phone then Nexus one no dout abt it, but how really is it better then Galaxy S which is in market since june 2010 ?? google hd moved one step backwards by not supporting externel SD card compared to Galaxy S

LG Optimus 2X is launching with 2.2, and LG are saying they will update it with 2.3 soon. The phone will take 2-3 months to launch, and then some time to update. If you really want that hardware and don't mind being behind on the software, sure, go get the LG Optimus 2X.

rahul21 said:
Tegra 2 is not new to android , since many tabloid such as ViewSonic G PAD are already in market for a while and hv proven there metal .Nexus S is realtive better phone then Nexus one no dout abt it, but how really is it better then Galaxy S which is in market since june 2010 ?? google hd moved one step backwards by not supporting externel SD card compared to Galaxy S
Tegra 2 has been used on tablets till now. Doesn't mean it's ready enough to put in a phone. Secondly, We all can wish Google went with Tegra 2 or a dual core chip, but the fact is, they didn't, and they decided on the S5PC110 Hummingbird chip. In the end, it's up to you to buy it or not. lol.

I also wanted to add, I am downplaying how easy it will be to port 2.3 on Nexus to SGS, but I don't mean it'll be that hard either, it might be done pretty quickly if the devs really put their effort into it.

Yup, I got the Nexus S around 12 hours back, in the morning. Luckily no one in my city seems to be a geek, no clue about Nexus S. :p

Best Buy had only 4 pieces, not one had been sold when I went! :rofl:

OEM unlocked it, rooted it.. and enjoying the 2.3 goodness!

vb86 said:
^ you bought the locked one and then unlocked it? does the unlocked one come with carrier branding?
Err, I unlocked the bootloader(to flash unsigned zips/images). The phone is SIM unlocked, all of them are. There are NO locked Nexus S whatsoever, and none of them are carrier branded.

dinjo said:
Only 4 pieces is the production too less for the phone ?
The Best Buy stores that don't sell T-Mobile contracts or are in a remote location only have 4. Best Buy stores in a mall, or selling T-Mobile contracts have around 75-80. Remember, almost every city/town in the US has a Best Buy... easily 150-200 locations. But yeah, the demand is not a lot.. it was never a lot to begin with I think.

@superfrag congrats bro , howz the overall experience , Is it fast due to 2.3 or its hardware , sm benchmarks wd be awsome (Qdrant standard)?

Nexus S and Android 2.3 Review: Gingerbread for the Holidays - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Performance

We’ve already seen that Hummingbird is a competent performer in the Galaxy S line of devices, but haven’t gotten to see how that performance changes with the updated Dalvik VM that 2.2 (and thus 2.3) brings. Android 2.3 doesn’t bring as big of a performance boost, and it’s hard to tell in the first place given the lack of any other Hummingbird devices running Android 2.2.

Regardless, performance overall is around where it should be. I’ve included numbers from the myTouch 4G which I’ve begun testing, and Vivek’s G2 as these show performance of the new 45 nm Snapdragons which is also competent. Adreno 205 comes close to but falls short of PowerVR SGX 540 in every case. Note that Neocore is now clamped by vsync across both the new Snapdragons and Hummingbird - those numbers literally are the cap.

Back