The HP Touchpad / WebOS Thread

raksrules

Elite
We do have some owners of the webOS based HP Touchpad on our forums and many in process of scoring one and some like me who have in shipped status and waiting in anticipation for it to arrive. So why not have a thread dedicated entirely to the HP Touchpad and webOS. We are aware that a stable working Android port will be a reality soon, thanks to CM7 but this thread as of now will serve the one stop shop for all queries related to hardware, issues, installing software, rekindling with the TP and everything in general which involves the TP and/or the webOS. Probably when android does come we can discuss and rename this thread a only Touchpad thread.

So let the discussions begin :D

Touchpad Wiki

1. What to do after you get your HP Touchpad ??

Visit the following website which explains step by step instructions with screenshots on installing preware, overclocking and performance tuning of the touchpad

TouchPadPlus.com -- The Leading Step By step Instruction to Jailbreak, Boost Up and Overclock TouchPad

Another link mentioning the steps to perform after one gets his/her new TP.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

Slickdeals.net dedicated Touchpad Owners thread

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3245523

2. Touch Pad Accessories Thread Link

Why people find android OS better over Touchpad's webOS?

I somehow find webos to be more superior compared to iOS & Android.

Owner of Palm Pixi Plus & Dell streak 5.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums

harishgayatri said:

webOS may be superior than android but you see it is the popularity which android has garnered making it climb the ladder. Also if and when android port is available it will probably be dual boot so who wants to try both can boot into that as per their own need.

Main reason android is so much in demand is its extensive apps collection.

$90 Touchpad owner here giving attendance (not a proxy)!

Right now, the only thing I use the Touchpad for is comics/manga. (That is what I mostly bought it for, anyway.) I did use it while travelling last weekend and I took it instead of my laptop. Worked perfectly for internet/email, comics and videos on the flight. No extra steps at the security check either.

harishgayatri said:

I quite like WebOS and would have stuck with it if there were apps. For example, there is still no RDP Client app for the Touchpads.

I checked on net and skype seems to be only option for using front video camera for webOS. Right ? Btw does it mean that TP has a mic too for making the calls possible ?
May be a stupid question but did not see MIC in its specs.

raksrules said:
I checked on net and skype seems to be only option for using front video camera for webOS. Right ? Btw does it mean that TP has a mic too for making the calls possible ?

May be a stupid question but did not see MIC in its specs.

Yes, it does have a microphone.

HP Touchpad

Keep this link handy.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

whatsinaname said:
$90 Touchpad owner here giving attendance (not a proxy)!

Right now, the only thing I use the Touchpad for is comics/manga. (That is what I mostly bought it for, anyway.) I did use it while travelling last weekend and I took it instead of my laptop. Worked perfectly for internet/email, comics and videos on the flight. No extra steps at the security check either.

I quite like WebOS and would have stuck with it if there were apps. For example, there is still no RDP Client app for the Touchpads.

So what are you using for comics and Manga? Comicshelf HD?

Btw if someone has kindled with their TP and install all sorts of those rooting (i know rooting is only for android) etc software then please enlighten others, something like what needs to be done after one gets their touchpad ?

I read the term Preware at many places, i guess it is some sort of cydia type stuff, sort of alternate market for HP Touchpad apps ?

How to overclock til 1.5 Ghz and all.

Whatever info one can share.

SharekhaN said:
HP Touchpad

Keep this link handy.

So what are you using for comics and Manga? Comicshelf HD?

Yes. The only big issue is that I have to reboot the TP after I add some comics. There is an update coming this week that hopefully fixes that. Other than that, I have no other issues with it. (It would be nice to have a button to jump to the next file, though.)

whatsinaname said:
Yes. The only big issue is that I have to reboot the TP after I add some comics. There is an update coming this week that hopefully fixes that. Other than that, I have no other issues with it. (It would be nice to have a button to jump to the next file, though.)

So did you buy it? :)

Another webOS user here. Pixi Plus and now TouchPad. :)

Just last nite i OCed my TP to 1.5 Ghz using uberkernel. and its running damn smooth and fast. no lags at all in all apps. :hap2:

sure apps are missing. and forumz(TapaTalk) app is not yet optimized for TP. Installed forumz on TP and when i launch. it opens in small screen(Optimzed for Pixi,Pre etc). but on Tapatalk forum Devs posted that it is coming for webOS in few days. :)

whatsinaname said:

RDP is available.

Splashtop Remote Desktop HD v1.0.3 webos

Let me google that for you :)

raksrules said:
Btw if someone has kindled with their TP and install all sorts of those rooting (i know rooting is only for android) etc software then please enlighten others, something like what needs to be done after one gets their touchpad ?

I read the term Preware at many places, i guess it is some sort of cydia type stuff, sort of alternate market for HP Touchpad apps ?

How to overclock til 1.5 Ghz and all.

Whatever info one can share.

Well I think many are aware, but since it was missing in this thread I'd like to share this link. This is what I followed.

New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide - PreCentral Forums

Certain things I'd like to add. The above page doesn't talks anything about installing touchpad drivers, they are installed when you first run WebOS quick install. So run WebOS quick install before running WebOS doctor.

The key combo, in case you are stuck in usb download mode and want to come out of it, is Vol up + power + central button.

The touchpad runs smoothly overclocked but it consumes more battery also in that case. so overclock only if you need to.

bigbyte. after overclock i fully charged it this morning. and used for 2-3 hours. browsing , NFS and few videos. still 62% left. not bad i guess. and consumption increased just by marginal as far as i know. read it on Pre.

Got my touchpad. But there seems to be an issue.
The right 1/4th part of the screen seems to bit of having calibration issues. It is like the launcher icon needs to be clicked on bit left side than the actual icon to make it work. :(
What can i do ? Any solution ?

Can anyone here direct me to official HP support / forums / chat to discuss this issue ?

Seems hardware issue, cannot give back to onsale for replacement as they hardly have stock for the orders. Seems i will need to give it to HP for repairs :(

Sending the TP to HP for repair. :(

I am really furious :mad: :-[

First i got my TP from onsale with a defective hardware (right 20% of touch screen not working)

Then i sent it to HP for repairs and i received the unit back yesterday and they did not resolve the issue, no repairs done i guess.

Now they have given me option of advance exchange wherein they will send me another TP from their end and i need to send the old one back to them and they have placed a hold of 365$ on my credit card (in case i don't return the old TP).

Now i have got to know why people hate HP.

Back