The Indian Politics Thread

Cautious reply. You're still not convinced.

is there a natural barrier that exists in maha that prevents BJP ever coming to power there.

BJP can win anywhere and even nationally but never in maha ? ie marathas cannot vote for them. Shiv sena is ok but not BJP.

Cautious reply. You're still not convinced.

is there a natural barrier that exists in maha that prevents BJP ever coming to power there.

BJP can win anywhere and even nationally but never in maha ? ie marathas cannot vote for them. Shiv sena is ok but not BJP.

I never said the last paragraph.

The further south we travel, the more these national parties lose their stronghold. That being said, before these results, I would never have even thought that BJP had a chance here. The thing is that parties like NCP are so deeply entrenched here it's scary. Know how much land the Pawar family owns in Maharashtra?

Again, I am cautious yet hopeful. This state desperately needs a change.

NCP has been jolted out of its arrogance with these results. I don't see the Cong-NCP combine winning another term (what would have been a record 4th one on the trot) and am convinced the Modi+Anti-incumbency+Anti-Congress wave will last comfortably till around the time the assembly elections are held in October. Heck, if the assembly and LS elections were held simultaneously like the last couple of times, a Sena-BJP plus other allies government would have been a reality in Mantralaya today.

I never said the last paragraph.
You didn't and i'm not attributing it to you.

Am trying to figure out the irony of a regional party that started in Maha that gets to rule the country a second time but is as yet incapable of winning a single election in the state it originated from.

The further south we travel, the more these national parties lose their stronghold. That being said, before these results, I would never have even thought that BJP had a chance here. The thing is that parties like NCP are so deeply entrenched here it's scary. Know how much land the Pawar family owns in Maharashtra?

Again, I am cautious yet hopeful. This state desperately needs a change.
Modi travelled far and wide anywhere and everywhere where people were willing to listen. He went to Kerela, TN & Bengal. States where the BJP has next to no presence.

The BJP won more seats in Bengal than the commies. This is unheard of :D

You didn't and i'm not attributing it to you.

Am trying to figure out the irony of a regional party that started in Maha that gets to rule the country a second time but is as yet incapable of winning a single election in the state it originated from.

Modi travelled far and wide anywhere and everywhere where people were willing to listen. He went to Kerela, TN & Bengal. States where the BJP has next to no presence.

The BJP won more seats in Bengal than the commies. This is unheard of :D
Maharashtra has always been a Congress / NCP state due to influence of Ambedkar from long past. Ambedkar was seen as fighting for dalit and for backward caste type of people. Congress and their spin off NCP played their caste card well in most of Maharashtra all these years. Plus most of Maharashtra farmers grow sugarcane or onions and the sugar factories are owned by NCP people mostly. Likewise for onion, most onion exports are controlled by these guys.
So naturally farmers would have to always vote for these people no matter whether there was drought from years or floods or farmers were dying of debt. The indifference shown by ncp and congress to their woes added fuel to fire constantly.

Also another reason was that Shiv Sena was never there for the Marathi people they supposed to fight for. After it split due to infighting for power, it became even less of a choice for the people there. AAP coming into picture, and getting lacs of volunteers from Maharashtra in just few days proved that people were waiting for a good party to come in picture.

In this election, people had to choose between AAP candidates who were only talking of corruption or other parties and did not have any good agenda for country, the reinvigorated BJP which had Modi and his Gujarat model of power, and Congress NCP who were high on power from past few victories and didn't feel the need to make any changes in their style of functioning and lastly Shiv Sena who as usual were just in their own zone.

Maharashtra has always been a Congress / NCP state due to influence of Ambedkar from long past. Ambedkar was seen as fighting for dalit and for backward caste type of people. Congress and their spin off NCP played their caste card well in most of Maharashtra all these years. Plus most of Maharashtra farmers grow sugarcane or onions and the sugar factories are owned by NCP people mostly. Likewise for onion, most onion exports are controlled by these guys.
So naturally farmers would have to always vote for these people no matter whether there was drought from years or floods or farmers were dying of debt. The indifference shown by ncp and congress to their woes added fuel to fire constantly.

Also another reason was that Shiv Sena was never there for the Marathi people they supposed to fight for. After it split due to infighting for power, it became even less of a choice for the people there. AAP coming into picture, and getting lacs of volunteers from Maharashtra in just few days proved that people were waiting for a good party to come in picture.

In this election, people had to choose between AAP candidates who were only talking of corruption or other parties and did not have any good agenda for country, the reinvigorated BJP which had Modi and his Gujarat model of power, and Congress NCP who were high on power from past few victories and didn't feel the need to make any changes in their style of functioning and lastly Shiv Sena who as usual were just in their own zone.
Shiv Sena won because of BJP and Modi factor. Else they wouldn't.

Last edited:
Friend's FB status:

Ten little Aaptards in their topis so fine
Bharti did a midnight raid and then there were nine

Nine little aaptards, their jhadoos pointing straight
Binny quit in disgust and then there were eight

Eight little aaptards, in search of an anarchist heaven
Prashant lost a plebiscite and then there were seven

Seven little aaptards, lookin for a quick media fix
Shazia became 'communal', and then there were six

Six little aaptards, cunning, not naive
Ashu took english lessons and then there were five

Five little aaptards, saying ‪#‎Sorry‬ at the door
Raghu got slapped and then there were four

Four little aaptards, all bahut krantikaari
Meera lost her deposit, and then there were three

Three little aaptards, did ‪#‎Dharna‬ on a cue
Rakhi lost her jhadoo and then there were two

Two little aaptards, having fun on an anshan
Salim got inked, and then there was one

One little aaptard, sulking in the sun
Topival went to jail, and then there were none

Friend's FB status:

Ten little Aaptards in their topis so fine
Bharti did a midnight raid and then there were nine

Nine little aaptards, their jhadoos pointing straight
Binny quit in disgust and then there were eight

Eight little aaptards, in search of an anarchist heaven
Prashant lost a plebiscite and then there were seven

Seven little aaptards, lookin for a quick media fix
Shazia became 'communal', and then there were six

Six little aaptards, cunning, not naive
Ashu took english lessons and then there were five

Five little aaptards, saying ‪#‎Sorry‬ at the door
Raghu got slapped and then there were four

Four little aaptards, all bahut krantikaari
Meera lost her deposit, and then there were three

Three little aaptards, did ‪#‎Dharna‬ on a cue
Rakhi lost her jhadoo and then there were two

Two little aaptards, having fun on an anshan
Salim got inked, and then there was one

One little aaptard, sulking in the sun
Topival went to jail, and then there were none
Shazia Ilmi resigns from AAP?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...lmi-resigns-from-AAP/articleshow/35530102.cms via @timesofindia

^^Feasting would always be there.
But I hope there is no Gluttony like UPA and its never ending scam list and so many ministers getting arrested.
I was happy to see people under 40s to be part of cabinet. The cabinet looks leaner.[DOUBLEPOST=1401181074][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, if Sharif can manage it then i fail to understand why the CM's of Karnataka & Kerela were somehow unavailable.

What a great way to start off relations with the new administration :|
Did you see MMS sitting next to Sharif? I was laughing loud. :D :D

Last edited:
Back