The most distant man made object in space

Its official, the Voyager 1 launched on September 5,1977 is the most distant man made object in space...its travelling away from the solar system at a speed of 17.2 km/s relative to the sun ie. 38,400 miles per hour!! It is more than 9 billion miles away from the sun as of January 2006. It was swing upward from the plain in which the planets revolve around the sun(except pluto) when it passed by Titan.

The probe has reached the edge of the solar system from where on the interstellar space begins..Voyager 1 has entered the heliosheath, a region beyond termination shock – the heliosheath is the shocked region between the solar system and interstellar space. If Voyager 1 is still functioning when it finally passes the heliopause, scientists will get their first direct measurements of the conditions in the interstellar medium. At this distance, signals from Voyager 1 take more than thirteen hours to reach its control center at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Voyager 1 is on a hyperbolic trajectory and has achieved escape velocity, meaning that its orbit will not return to the inner solar system. Along with Pioneer 10, the now deactivated Pioneer 11, and its sister ship Voyager 2, Voyager 1 is becoming an interstellar probe.
031105voyagershock026fp.jpg

The voyager 1 carries a Golden record with voices of the then US president Jimmy Carter and details about the earth and its life forms should it be ever recieved by an alien life form in future.

Voyager 2
The Voyager 2 was actually launched before the voyager 1 on Aug,20 1977.
It is also not far behind..it is escaping the solar system at a little slower speed of 35000 miles per hour away from the sun.

The Voyagers have enough electrical power and thruster fuel to operate at least until 2020.They will be able to communicate with earth till 2030. By that time, Voyager 1 will be 12.4 billion miles from the Sun and Voyager 2 will be 10.5 billion miles from the Sun.

Where the Voyager 1 and 2 are headed?

Eventually, the Voyagers will pass other stars:

* Voyager 1, in 40,000 years, will float by within 1.6 light years (9.3 trillion miles) of a star known as AC+79 3888 in the constellation Camelopardalis.

* Voyager 2, in 296,000 years, will sail within 4.3 light years (25 trillion miles) of Sirius, which today is the brightest star in Earth's sky.

Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are destined to wander through our Milky Way galaxy eternally — unless they crash into something we can't yet calculate.

The Pioneers 10 & 11 :

The Pioneer 10 launched in March 2,1972 is a little slower in escaping the solar system but not far behind nevertheless.It is approximately 8 billion miles from the sun but travelling at a slower speed of 27,380 mph.

Unfortunately it has stopped communicating with earth since 1997.

Where the pioneer 10 is headed?

Pioneer 10 is heading away from our Sun generally in the direction of the red star Aldeberan. That's the main star seen as the eye of The Bull in the constellation Taurus in Earth's night sky. Aldebaran is about 68 light years away. Pioneer 10 should arrive at Aldeberan in 2 million years.

What if some one found the pioneer 10?
What if some living thing out there finds it along the way or at Aldeberan? Pioneer 10 has that gold plaque telling those creatures out there about the creatures back home that built it back home on Earth.

Where is Pioneer 11 headed?

The other outward bound Pioneer is headed into the constellation Aquila — The Eagle — seen in Earth's night sky northwest of the constellation Sagittarius. In four million years, Pioneer 11 will pass near one of the stars in that constellation.

There have been no communications with Pioneer 11 since November 1995.

If some one recieved Pioneer 11..
Gold plaques. Like Pioneer 10, the Pioneer 11 spacecraft carried a gold plaque with messages designed to make contact with possible alien civilizations. The late Dr. Carl Sagan helped devise the plaques that bear the illustration of a man and a woman as well as a diagram identifying Earth's location in the galaxy. Like a message in a bottle, these plaques will journey out into interstellar space possibly to be found one day by an extraterrestrial civilization.

Where the Four probes are headed to:
041018pioneerpath028gg.gif

Courtesy : Nasa.gov, spacetoday.com, space.com

^^ Lol.

Its not possible, if an Alien picks it up, chances are that they wont understand what it is, or itll be too measely for them to take it as a threat :p.

Anyways, I hope it is picked up by ET's.

Itll prove me right with all my frnds :p.

MY theory is, that there has to be an identical galaxy, just like ours, and that its almost exactly like ours and the 3rd Planet is habited by people just like us. IE. Humans, and they are wondering the same thing :eek:hyeah:

MY theory is, that there has to be an identical galaxy, just like ours, and that its almost exactly like ours and the 3rd Planet is habited by people just like us. IE. Humans, and they are wondering the same thing

Mine too!!! We may never find that galaxy.... but that does not matter. It is there. That is what I believe

Nikhil said:
Mine too!!! We may never find that galaxy.... but that does not matter. It is there. That is what I believe

Its there. the universe is too big to not have another planet and star with the same setting as earth and sun. i'm sure there is, only a matter of time till we find them, or they find us.

params7 said:
Its there. the universe is too big to not have another planet and star with the same setting as earth and sun. i'm sure there is, only a matter of time till we find them, or they find us.

The Nasa guys think that during their journey thru the galaxies, the probe may be picked up by intelligent creatures like us from some other worldly planet.

Quite possible that there is such a planet...but the biggest question is more related to the probability that the satellite probe will pass by exactly such a planet which is inhabited by creatures.

Also it is possible that the planet by which the probe passes by is inhabited by only non intelligent creatures like animals on this planet or micro organisms like bacteria..;)

Again, the third possibility is that if the probe is directly on the path of a planet which is inhabited by intelligent creatures like human beings away from our solar system, chances are before they get to see the object, it'll be burned, melted and neutralized during its high speed entry into the planet's atmosphere...and all they may get to see is a fireworks show in the sky!!:bleh:

The fact is that the probability of the probe being found by intelligent creature may be similar to dropping a needle in the middle of pacific ocean... and then finding it!!:p

But lets hope that against all odds, our messenger from earth reaches an extra terrestrial civilization..!!

MY theory is, that there has to be an identical galaxy, just like ours, and that its almost exactly like ours and the 3rd Planet is habited by people just like us. IE. Humans, and they are wondering the same thing

there's some parallel universe theory crap which says almost the same thing :S

CaaYoTee said:
The Nasa guys think that during their journey thru the galaxies, the probe may be picked up by intelligent creatures like us from some other worldly planet.
Quite possible that there is such a planet...but the biggest question is more related to the probability that the satellite probe will pass by exactly such a planet which is inhabited by creatures.

Also it is possible that the planet by which the probe passes by is inhabited by only non intelligent creatures like animals on this planet or micro organisms like bacteria..;)

Again, the third possibility is that if the probe is directly on the path of a planet which is inhabited by intelligent creatures like human beings away from our solar system, chances are before they get to see the object, it'll be burned, melted and neutralized during its high speed entry into the planet's atmosphere...and all they may get to see is a fireworks show in the sky!!:bleh:

The fact is that the probability of the probe being found by intelligent creature may be similar to dropping a needle in the middle of pacific ocean... and then finding it!!:p

But lets hope that against all odds, our messenger from earth reaches an extra terrestrial civilization..!!

Very true,Cayotee but the world keeps going on on hope and lets just pray that one day truly someone from the other worlds get hold of any of those probes and contact us, earthlings. Sure we may not be around and it could take some time but who knows, we may have a window of opportunity here. :)

tifôsi said:
there's some parallel universe theory crap which says almost the same thing :S

damn, the JLA comics are full of it. Some of the scientists even say Time Travell is possible. In fact, its been proved already.

Now talking serious about the aliens being able to find it, if they're advanced, they'll be able to track the Satellite when it enters their solar system (Btw, did Nasa put a map of the positioning of earth in space on the satellite? :p).

^^Hehe..kumar you beat me to it..i was gonna post the same..:p

Btw, those are on the Voyager..as far as Pioneer 10 and 11 are concerned, they too have a plaque showing the image of a man and a woman,the relative position of sun and the planets, the trajectory of the satellite etc.

The Image:

1800pxgpn2000001621x1ro.jpg

350pxpplaquelarge5fm.png

But to tell you the truth, the image is too hard to understand without proper explanation. There has been a lot of criticism from scientists around the world that the image is too complex. Quite true, if you show it to a normal guy, he may think it was actually a message from an alien!!

Although the message was designed to encode the most information possible in minimal space, rather than to be easily readable, almost none of the human scientists that were shown the message were able to decode all of it. It can be assumed that it will be even harder for extraterrestrial intelligences that do not share our common knowledge. If it is ever found, it is possible that the finders will spend generations deciphering it, just as deciphering the Egyptian hieroglyphs took centuries.

Symbology:

Hyperfine transition of neutral hydrogen:

pplaquea3cl.png

At the top left of the plate is a schematic representation of the hyperfine transition of hydrogen, which is the most abundant element in the universe.Below this symbol is a small vertical line to represent the binary digit 1. This spin-flip transition of a hydrogen atom from electron state spin up to electron state spin down can specify a unit of length (wavelength, 21 cm) as well as a unit of time (frequency, 1420 MHz). Both units are used as measurements in the other symbols. Note that since the plaque is 22.9 cm wide, this dimension could have been depicted to scale, but it was not.

Figures of a woman and a man

pplaqueb7hh.png

On the right side of the plaque a man and a woman are shown in front of the spacecraft.The right hand of the man is raised as a sign of good will. Although it is unlikely that this gesture is truly universal, it offers a way to show the opposable thumb and that the limbs can be moved.

Silhouette of the spacecraft

pplaquec8ta.png

Behind the figures of the human beings, the silhouette of the Pioneer spacecraft can be seen. It is displayed in the same scale so that the size of the human beings can be deduced from measuring the spacecraft.

Relative position of the Sun to the center of the Galaxy and 14 pulsars

pplaqued5zn.png

The radial pattern on the left of the plaque shows 15 lines emanating from the same origin. 14 of the lines have corresponding long binary numbers, which stand for the periods of pulsars.The lengths of the lines show the relative distances of the pulsars to the sun.

If the plaque is found, only some of the pulsars may be visible from the location of its discovery.

The fifteenth line extends to the right behind the human figures. This line indicates the relative distance to the center of the Galaxy.

This may be the toughest to understand...:p

Solar system

pplaquee3ts.png

At the bottom of the plaque is a schematic diagram of the solar system. A small picture of the spacecraft is shown, and the trajectory shows its way past Jupiter and out of the solar system. Saturn's rings could give a further hint to identifying the solar system.

I Guess, instead of that pulsar diagram, they cud have included the diagram of our solar system with the planets revolving around the sun.

Anyways, it really will take a very intelligent species to decipher the image where we will be acting as the 'aliens' with an absurd message!! :p

Hey udit, sure NAsa is doing a gud job but we say, "Nasa rocks" not because of what it is doing but more because of lack of options :p

They may have the largest funding of all but still they may not be doing their best..those americans.. i'm sure we have more brains around the world who would do much better wid that kind of funding but are put off because of lack of money.So once again the world has to rely on US of A for all the scientific data on universe.

For one i do not have much faith in those buggers. I guess, most of us have seen the Mission Moon Hoax that was doing the rounds of the media some time ago...(you can check around the net, you'll find ample material to read)the evidences provided by the skeptics is too real and enough to put me off..Maybe Nasa never really went to the moon..:no:

Check this website :http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.html

Or do a google on 'Moon landing hoax'..

Thanks kumar for those images of the golden disks.but i was wondering how would the aliens play that gramophone disk named sounds of the earth? they need to have a compatible player! :p

I think nasa should have sent a gramophone player along with the probe for the poor aliens :p

Thanks cayotee for the detailed information on the plaques. Otherwise it would be hard to understand the meaning of the images.

Back