The most touching pics of 2005 by Reuters

IceFusion

Skilled
Viewer discreation is advised...some of these pics may be Disturbing to some people..

>Courtesy of Worldpressphotos

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index...ry&task=view&id=155&Itemid=115&bandwidth=high

World Press Photo of the Year: 1956

Helmuth Pirath, Germany, Keystone Press.
West Germany, 1956
German World War II prisoner released by the Soviet Union is reunited with his daughter.

About the image
Capturing the homecoming of a German prisoner of war, returning from the Russian camps, to the fold of his family and fatherland, Pirath focused on the emotion-riddled face of a child, aged about twelve, who had not seen her father since she was a one-year-old.

World Press Photo of the Year: 1984

Pablo Bartholomew, India, Gamma.
Bhopal, India, December 1984.
Child killed by the poisonous gas leak in the Union Carbide chemical plant disaster.

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index...ry&task=view&id=180&Itemid=115&bandwidth=high

About the image
Following the vehicles that were taking the dead to be cremated and buried, Bartholomew saw the body of a child, with eyes glazed, milky-white and staring up at him. He says winning put him on the map in the photojournalism world, while his image became an icon of grief and greed in the face of industrial disaster.
>Frank Fournier, France, Contact Press Images.
Armero, Colombia, 16 November 1985. Twelve-year-old Omayra Sanchez trapped
in the debris caused by the eruption of Nevado del Ruíz volcano. After sixty hours
she eventually lost consciousness and died.

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index...ry&task=view&id=179&Itemid=115&bandwidth=high

About the image
It was hard for Fournier to describe how he felt when he encountered this little girl, and how he kept talking to her, to try and keep her alive. He felt devastated when he found out she had died. Thanks to pictures like this one, the intensity and the violence of the situation could be felt far outside Colombia.
Arko Datta, India, Reuters, 2004.
Woman mourns relative killed in tsunami, Cuddalore, India, Tamil Nadu, 28 December 2004

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index...ry&task=view&id=279&Itemid=115&bandwidth=high

About the image
Datta had to shoot fast, before they took the bloated body away. He felt that its gruesomeness would've distracted too much from the grieving subject of the picture, so he decided just to include the hand.

Here are some more for the interested peoples
Reuters has picked its favorite 40 pictures from around the world that were captured in 2005. The eclipse photo is genius, as are many others.

http://photos.reuters.com/Pictures/...s/&directory=/configData/Pictures/&edition=US

the Bhopal photo has become the unofficial symbol of the tragedy......

There are some other pics I got by mail....

One abt a vulture staring at a small kid who is malnourished in Africa. The vulture was waiting for the boy to die so that it could feast on his flesh. The photographer suffered from a nervous breakdown soon after due to the stress involved in shooting such terrible pictures. The boy was abt 1 mile away from the nearest UN food camp.

What I dont get sometimes is that why dont the photographers do something themselves?? like in the above scenario, wouldnt it have been better if the photographer had thrown aside his camera and taken the boy to the food camp??

these fotos are really touching.we can learn wat war does to many,wat famine does to many,wat dictatorship does to many..............

Nikhil said:

One abt a vulture staring at a small kid who is malnourished in Africa. The vulture was waiting for the boy to die so that it could feast on his flesh. The photographer suffered from a nervous breakdown soon after due to the stress involved in shooting such terrible pictures. The boy was abt 1 mile away from the nearest UN food camp.

What I dont get sometimes is that why dont the photographers do something themselves?? like in the above scenario, wouldnt it have been better if the photographer had thrown aside his camera and taken the boy to the food camp??
Yeah I've seen that mail too Nikhil, but I think you haven't read it completely..
It was something like the photographer tried his level best, but ultimately could'nt save that boy's life.. :(

Nikhil said:

the photo won pulitzer priz and FYI the photographer committed suicide within weeks of that incident ....

^^I guess because we people relate to happiness quite casually and they dont have much significant impact on our psyche..we tend to forget them quite easily... but these kind of images can have a lasting impact on people..they will stay in your mind forever..;)

=CrAzYG33K= said:
Yeah I've seen that mail too Nikhil, but I think you haven't read it completely..
It was something like the photographer tried his level best, but ultimately could'nt save that boy's life.. :(

The photo in the mail is the Pulitzer prize winning photo taken in 1994 during Sudan famine. The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away. The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat it. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.

Acording to the link Params gave in his previous post..... The pic is there....

So, you see, the photographer left the place after taking the pic..... now, isnt that itself inhuman??

So, you see, the photographer left the place after taking the pic..... now, isnt that itself inhuman??

The child's right there! Crawling in FRONT OF HIM!

He left the child to die, imo, becuase it wouldn't have had that 'impact' if the kid was alive and healthy.

must've faced hella' lot of crtiticism, and decided to end his own life.

Btw - I'm not totally sure if the photographer actually did leave the child like that, crawling. Its just too inhuman. Esepecially when the food camp is just a km away, its not that hard even for the most cruel hearted to do something that could save one's life.

here's the photographer (warning again)

http://picturenet.co.za/photographers/kc/

yeah....it is totally inhuman.....No human can leave the kid like that and go away and then go ahead and publish the pictures win a fancy award and all that.

As you said, that must have been the reason he killed himself

Nikhil said:
yeah....it is totally inhuman.....No human can leave the kid like that and go away and then go ahead and publish the pictures win a fancy award and all that.

As you said, that must have been the reason he killed himself

Havent you seen malnourished children in Bangalore ? Here in Mumbai I see malnourished children begging at every nook and corner, and no I dont feed them. Am I inhuman ? Certainly not :hap5: Why should I bother if all the illiterate ppl know is to reproduce...

well, yeah... you have a point....

But then this is different. This pic was not of a normal city. It was famine hit area and there is no "normal" life there.

The least Kevin could have done was to trake the child to the food centre

CaaYoTee said:
^^I guess because we people relate to happiness quite casually and they dont have much significant impact on our psyche..we tend to forget them quite easily... but these kind of images can have a lasting impact on people..they will stay in your mind forever..;)

Sure, they stay in our minds. But what do we do about it?

I feel there's something wrong in the way we all 'celebrate' depression and suffering :( Like all these games shows and contests nowadays turning into pseudo-reality shows, going into contestant's homes, and showing the whole family cry, just to raise a few trp.

Think about these two filmmakers, who made films on the holocaust. Both won Oscars. But their viewpoint was 180deg apart. Spielberg made " Schindlers List" :(. Benigni made " Life is Beautiful" :hap2:

there is some sort of photographers' code of not getting involved with their subjects or interfering. Something similar is practiced by doctors; they cant get emotionally attatched with their patients, even if doing so raises their chances of recovery, there is too much baggage to worry about.

Stop sitting on your high-stool of hypothethical morality. You dont know the reasons for his actions and neither are you in a position to point fingers as we are all well aware of the horrors going on all around the world, but we sit at home drooling over generated realities our overclocked rigs throw at us.

bah.

Grease Monk said:
Stop sitting on your high-stool of hypothethical morality.

bah.

There's no such code that would prevent a human from saving another who is literally on the verge of death. There's no denying the photographer perhaps deserved for what happened to him in his future. Don't want to lend money to a begger? Fine. Leaving a 3yr who is crawling for his life which shines brightly only a kilometre away just so he could win some award = Perhaps greatest example of one being 'Inhuman', imo.

Back