The New Flagship: Ryzen 9 3950X

Is there any mobo available around 5k for 3600 ?
You need at least a B450 mobo and check online if somebody else is using a Ryzen 3000 CPU on the same board.

This board seems to have updated BIOS but 5k is too tight. One other thing the BIOS out of the box won't support 3000 series CPUs.
You need to get the BIOS updated at the point of purchase with a 2000/1000 series CPU and then only you can use a 3000 series CPU.
If this board had BIOS flashback feature you could update the BIOS via a USB stick without any CPU/RAM installed but I guess only X series boards support that feature.

Seems like Anandtech will have to redo their review with updated BIOS.
GamersNexus used Gigabyte boards with updated BIOS from the get go and their numbers are mostly unaffected(at most 2-2.7%) by a retest with a even newer version of BIOS.

Post automatically merged:

For anyone on older 300/400 series motherboards looking to upgrade to Zen 2 check the BIOS update available on your motherboard support page.

Zen 2 needs AGESA 1.0.0.3AB which is the final(at least till now) release for Zen 2 CPU microcode.

Open up the latest BIOS .cap file in notepad++ and search for AGESA to see the version.

For my X370 board the latest BIOS version is 7106 and its still on AGESA 1.0.0.2.

Knowing ASUS software support they will take their sweet time on this. :( @Chaos this concerns you as well as any Asus Crosshair VI
Hero owner here.

Do not update to the latest 7106 BIOS as it stops KB/mouse from working in the UEFI menu.

Last edited:
Knowing ASUS software support they will take their sweet time on this. :( @Chaos this concerns you as well as any Asus Crosshair VI
Hero owner here.

Do not update to the latest 7106 BIOS as it stops KB/mouse from working in the UEFI menu.

I am still on an old stable bios that works perfectly from 2018. I shall update once all issues are confirmed sorted and I have the 3900x/3950x CPU in hand.

As far as bioses are concerned, I don't upgrade unless something is broken and affecting me.

I guess everyone with older boards is waiting for stable BIOS like me.

Moreover the older gang of tech nerds have moved on to other stages in their lives and their ranks were never filled up with newer members.
So no brand new 3000+X570 setups can be seen in Showoff threads anymore.

I don't think that younger people are any less interested in tech but I guess all their tech discussions happen on FB.

I'm decided on the 3600.. Just researching more on the boards.. Trying to see reason if I really should get the x570 or will the b450 be enough..
If x570 then I need to shell out around 16k for the board which is almost equivalent to the proccy cost
If b450 then I'm looking at tomahawk & mortar which at about 9~10k so 6k more and I have a x570..
After that need to look at RAMs..
All very confusing at the moment..

@swagatrath be wary that if you get an older board like b450 you will need to update the BIOS first with an older supported CPU. except if the motherboard supports this thing called "BIOS Flashback" which allows you to update BIOS without CPU/RAM etc just plug in power and usb. So be mindful of that :)

@swagatrath be wary that if you get an older board like b450 you will need to update the BIOS first with an older supported CPU. except if the motherboard supports this thing called "BIOS Flashback" which allows you to update BIOS without CPU/RAM etc just plug in power and usb. So be mindful of that :)
Yes I'm looking at boards with specifically that option and also checking manufacturer's website if they have compatible BIOS out yet..
Since coming from a i5 4690k platform, I would have no other way to get BIOS updated on the board..

Yes I'm looking at boards with specifically that option and also checking manufacturer's website if they have compatible BIOS out yet..
Since coming from a i5 4690k platform, I would have no other way to get BIOS updated on the board..

Cool. Just a point to note that even if the manufacturer website says the older boards have updated BIOS - it can still be the case that local sellers here have old stock which will have old BIOS so, yeah, better if you get a board with flashback option.

Additionally, you can also ask retailer to help you flash compatible BIOS when you are buying it.

Back