The new Karbonn A30? Worth it ? Please share your view

Hi guys,
I have been a huge lover of huge screens always be it TV or mobile. But sadly cant get something like a Note 2 or HTC or Ipad .
But this new Karbonn A30 is a bit over range but still can stretch if it is worth it.
What do you guys think from its specs and this review,
KARBONN A30 REVIEW (5.9 inch Smartphone) - YouTube
( the video is owned by the youtube user : videogyan and I thank him the the review. )

So please share your opinion .

Dude 800x480 at 5.9". I am sure it'd be awesome. :-s

Thanks for the reply,
Sarcastic?.
Really Sir I got no idea about how things are on a mobile. So would help if you could be a bit brief :(.
Would that resolution be a big problem?. In videos will it have a lot of jagged edges?.
@manu1991

Thanks for the reply.
Well I wont use some big apps. Quite busy when working, only use would be able to use it for reading some news( web surfing) and watch videos. I know the resolution is not even 480p but I dont know how significant it is on a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply,
Sarcastic?.
Really Sir I got no idea about how things are on a mobile. So would help if you could be a bit brief :(.
Would that resolution be a big problem?. In videos will it have a lot of jagged edges?
Yes it was sarcastic for a reason. These people are marketing just the big size without putting any content. The resolution is still the same that you get on phones half the screen size. RAM is still 512MB. I'd definitely not suggest anyone to buy it.

Thanks for the reply.
Well I wont use some big apps. Quite busy when working, only use would be able to use it for reading some news( web surfing) and watch videos. I know the resolution is not even 480p but I dont know how significant it is on a phone.
Well obviously its not an ideal resolution to have, but if it seems fine to you in person, then no harm is using it. Should be fine for that usage (reading news and watching videos).

Thanks for the reply,
Sarcastic?.
Would that resolution be a big problem?. In videos will it have a lot of jagged edges?.

Thanks for the reply.

That resolution would ensure quite a bit of jagged edges, especially since you want to read stuff on it. Sharpness would be the biggest casualty of that resolution on that big a screen. Only way to see if that bothers you is by checking out a piece in person.

Yes it was sarcastic for a reason. These people are marketing just the big size without putting any content. The resolution is still the same that you get on phones half the screen size. RAM is still 512MB. I'd definitely not suggest anyone to buy it.

Well obviously its not an ideal resolution to have, but if it seems fine to you in person, then no harm is using it. Should be fine for that usage (reading news and watching videos).

That resolution would ensure quite a bit of jagged edges, especially since you want to read stuff on it. Sharpness would be the biggest casualty of that resolution on that big a screen. Only way to see if that bothers you is by checking out a piece in person.

Thanks friends , almost decided not to go for it but as pointed out, will check out in person once if am fine with it. Generally i dont like jagged edges . But with a low budget , I cant ask for much I guess.

^ I was in the same boat- deciding between the A30 and the Micromax A110 ( which is 5"). I have not seen the A30 but I can vouch for the fact that the A110 doesn't look bad at all. The IPS display looks stunning, it is operable by 1 hand (unless you have small hands) and the text looks crisp without any jagged edges at normal viewing distance. I also could not find any instances of lag anywhere in the entire OS.

For the A30, I don't think it is an IPS display. In the review vid itself, I could see a bit of a lag when going between screens. And 5.9" is going to be a little difficult to carry around for sure. Hence, I booked the A110. :)

If so many people didn't have problems with using 7 inch WVGA displays on their budget tabs, I don't think these same people would have any problems with the A30. However, the huge frame of this phone does look ridiculous while using it as a phone. It is significantly bigger than the Note/Note 2 or even the 5 inch Indian budget phablets.

If so many people didn't have problems with using 7 inch WVGA displays on their budget tabs, I don't think these same people would have any problems with the A30. However, the huge frame of this phone does look ridiculous while using it as a phone. It is significantly bigger than the Note/Note 2 or even the 5 inch Indian budget phablets.

What made you arrive at that conclusion!

I for one do use a tab like that and am not a fan of reading text on it for long periods!

What made you arrive at that conclusion!

I for one do use a tab like that and am not a fan of reading text on it for long periods!

Nothing other than the huge sales numbers of budget tabs by Micromax and Karbonn in India made me arrive to that conclusion. Also, did you not comprehend what I wrote? I said 'many', not 'all'. For most consumers, PPI is secondary to screen size. I'm not saying it's right, but there's this 'bada hai toh behtar hai' mentality running rampant in many places.

Oh, and a 5.9 inch WVGA display has a pixel density of 158.13PPI while the original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS had a slightly better density of 164.83. I didn't see many people complaining about jagged edges and poor text legibility on those devices.

^^ We have come a long way (and resolutions) from the days of those devices, haven't we!

That mentality you speak of is what manufacturers and re-branders like Karbonn are dishing out. Also, if you go by what OP has stated in his requirements, the PPI issue would stand valid. It would certainly not in the case of many i know who bought low-PPI tabs purely for video watching on the go (and very few of them actually read stuff on it).

^ We have, but it mostly applies to people who have been using large touchscreen devices since the last 3-4 years. For first time users and owners of phones such as the Galaxy Y, phones like these are always going to feel like an upgrade in the display department. Owing to the size, the display will be held at a slightly farther distance than say, an HTC explorer, thus negating the low PPI to a certain extent. Our standard 22 inch 1080p monitors have a pixel density of ~100 PPI and we still consider it to be a great visual treat to our eyes, don't we? Viewing distance is obviously the factor here. In no way am I insinuating that it will be as good as an Xperia S or a Droid DNA, but it won't be as bad for watching videos as most people think.

^ We have, but it mostly applies to people who have been using large touchscreen devices since the last 3-4 years. For first time users and owners of phones such as the Galaxy Y, phones like these are always going to feel like an upgrade in the display department. Owing to the size, the display will be held at a slightly farther distance than say, an HTC explorer, thus negating the low PPI to a certain extent. Our standard 22 inch 1080p monitors have a pixel density of ~100 PPI and we still consider it to be a great visual treat to our eyes, don't we? Viewing distance is obviously the factor here. In no way am I insinuating that it will be as good as an Xperia S or a Droid DNA, but it won't be as bad for watching videos as most people think.

This. You are not going to be holding a 5.9" phone as close to your face as you would a 3.5" or a 4" phone. For example, in the Micromax A110, I could not see any jagged edges at all in normal usage. Extensive reading, perhaps. But in the 80% or more scenarios, you are going to be doing stuff other than reading.

^ I was in the same boat- deciding between the A30 and the Micromax A110 ( which is 5"). I have not seen the A30 but I can vouch for the fact that the A110 doesn't look bad at all. The IPS display looks stunning, it is operable by 1 hand (unless you have small hands) and the text looks crisp without any jagged edges at normal viewing distance. I also could not find any instances of lag anywhere in the entire OS.

For the A30, I don't think it is an IPS display. In the review vid itself, I could see a bit of a lag when going between screens. And 5.9" is going to be a little difficult to carry around for sure. Hence, I booked the A110. :)

^^ We have come a long way (and resolutions) from the days of those devices, haven't we!

That mentality you speak of is what manufacturers and re-branders like Karbonn are dishing out. Also, if you go by what OP has stated in his requirements, the PPI issue would stand valid. It would certainly not in the case of many i know who bought low-PPI tabs purely for video watching on the go (and very few of them actually read stuff on it).

Thanks for the reply friends, will see how it looks in real. Well my primary need is reading news and secondary seeing videos. I wont use some high end apps. Only fb(rare) or some basic stuff may be. Actually this is going to my first smartphone and androidphone, so am not really sure of what I will need and use :unsure:.

To the OP:
Don't go for something which you haven't seen. I am using an iPhone 4 and I just gifted my wife a micro macho A110 canvas 2. For the money its the best phone I could have bought for her. Her main usage of the phone is YouTube and small games and she couldn't be happier. Though I find it a not bigger for my taste for daily use but its not that big. Five inches is just OK. Main gripe with the phone is a bit l laggy. For everything else it's good. For videos its great.

What more I have an iPad and iPhone sitting right in front of me but I am typing this on my A110. That says a lot about this phone. Swipe rocks. Its an addiction.

To the OP:
Don't go for something which you haven't seen. I am using an iPhone 4 and I just gifted my wife a micro macho A110 canvas 2. For the money its the best phone I could have bought for her. Her main usage of the phone is YouTube and small games and she couldn't be happier. Though I find it a not bigger for my taste for daily use but its not that big. Five inches is just OK. Main gripe with the phone is a bit l laggy. For everything else it's good. For videos its great.

What more I have an iPad and iPhone sitting right in front of me but I am typing this on my A110. That says a lot about this phone. Swipe rocks. Its an addiction.

Thanks a lot for the reply,
Can you also comment on the usage and battery recharge times?. I mean how long before the battery needs to be recharged and on how much usage. Will help me a lot.

Thanks for the reply friends, will see how it looks in real. Well my primary need is reading news and secondary seeing videos. I wont use some high end apps. Only fb(rare) or some basic stuff may be. Actually this is going to my first smartphone and androidphone, so am not really sure of what I will need and use :unsure:.

Yep... check it out in person. That's the only way to know if that resolution bothers you.
@Sei, you jumped ship to Android from WP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... check it out in person. That's the only way to know if that resolution bothers you.
Sei, you jumped ship to Android from WP?

Nopes, not till now.. though getting tempted with the large screen. If no WP8 phone comes out with a 5"+ screen in 2013, I might jump ship

This is for my dad. We've been unsuccessfully trying to find a phone for him to replace his E63. Turns out that the low resolution on the Micromax A110 turned out to be a boon since dad can type even without wearing his glasses. :p

Back