The Personal Hygiene Thread!

unni

Adept
While I am in Kerala, my skin is all fine. But in the Bangalore climate, it becomes very dry. Without a moisturizer, I cannot survive at all :). I have been using Dove soap/Vaseline moisturizer for the past 4 years, which has helped me to a certain extent. Now I want to go for something better. If you guys know of any, please suggest.

It wont go away for the rest of your life. You can install a humidifier in your house, but the moment you step outside you are screwed.

A more permanent solution would be to shift to a humid place like Mumbai or Chennai <-- this is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Combination of Dove Soap(bodywash is way better) and Vaseline Men moisturizer is perfect combination(the Vaseline men thingy is more watery than regular Vaseline). Plus you need to see the way you use towel to wipe off water, use the pat dry technique, helps a lot.

Thanks guys for your replies. I think I will continue with Dove+Vaseline and the pat dry for some more time. I cannot purchase a humidifier for the time being. I will give coconut oil a try as well since my parents recommend it highly. If I find anything better, will let you know.

^^ My advice: Buy a can of Olive oil. Apply it 10 to 15 mins before taking bath. After bath, use the moisturizer. Works super effectively...! :)

^^ +1 to that. And if you find olive oil to be too expensive then go for coconut oil as your parents suggested.

Also, I think it gets better once you get acclimatised to the dry weather. After that you would have to deal with excess sweat when you go home to Kerala :D

This helped me too.

My skin is fine bt in winter no matter what, it becomes very dry as if i'm born with dry skin. So i too use dove + vaseline combo. But seriously saying, its a bit time consuming applying vaseline all over body. But then what better way to tackle this..

How to deal with dandruff?

Since past 4 years my hair scalp is literally haunted by dandruff.

Though its not visible on my hair but if i scratch my scalp, its comes in some amount in my nails.:(

I tried head&shoulders & clinic all clear variants but as they say, it simply vanishes the visible flakes and not the actual dandruff thing and within 24hrs it starts coming back.

There must be handful of people having similar issues on te, so curious to get some tip & tricks to keep dandruff at bay.

P.S: i wash my hair regularly during bath & on weekends shampoo it & after every bath apply parachute oil. Diet too isnt oily or fatty, take healthy diet.

Traditional Indian method to beat skin dryness
1) Take oil bath once every week - take mustard oil and apply all over body, wait for 15 mins, if possible after applying oil sit in lightly sunny place so that the oil gets absrbed well and then take bath. If this is done every week your body will be moisturized and also you wont feel that cold during winter and feel comfy in summer. Mustard oil moisturizes and removes the excess heat from body, if possible apply in head also and take head bath...u you will really feel relaxed with really good sleep.

2) If you face/lips are still getting dry in spite of above method, take little mustard oil after taking bath and apply to your navel. It will keep the moisture locked in the face and lips.

You will find great improvement once you repeat the above method for 2-3 weeks. No need dove or anything else after this.

Re: How to deal with dandruff?

Gannu said:
Nizoral worked for me. Had the same issues you were facing during my grad days.
Oh! thanks gannu. But is it available locally that easily? Do we need a prescription for that? & lastly wats the cost?

ronit said:
Oh! thanks gannu. But is it available locally that easily? Do we need a prescription for that? & lastly wats the cost?

Yes. At the local medical store. Prescription isn't generally required.

+1 for Nizoral, use it twice a week as per severity for 4 weeks most effective of all shampoos.

its available as Rs.10 Sachet & rs.100 bottle at local medical stores, do check xpiry dates since it has only 1yr validty afaik.

Gannu said:
Nizoral worked for me. Had the same issues you were facing during my grad days.
Its better to consult with doctor before taking it.....some people are allergic and it may cause more damage to the hair root/skin than good.

Konquerror said:
Oh come on...first moisturizer and now dandruff...guys this is technology forum...
Its valentine's day today. people need to look good atleast for a week till they get bored or dumped!

1)improve the fluid intake of your body

2) maintain hygiene levels. wash your hair regularly not necessarily with shampoo.

3) your skin maybe dry too. improve the intake of oils(healthy) in your system.

4) do a weekly steam session.this improves blood circulation.

5) do not keep using the same shampoo over along time. try switching between anti- dandruff and normal shampoos.

because all shampoo have detergent base which used regularly sediments to your scalp. switching shampoo cleans those sediments.

Start using Protar-K solution 2 times a week for a 2 months. You wont have a sign of dandruff after this.

Back