The Photography Thread !

Chaos said:
Here's my best attempt at birding so far. Birds are *the toughest* thing to photograph... buggers never sit still :rofl: :rofl:.

thats good :D they are not that tough, just make sure you catch one them photograph him and let him go,
somehow I expected you would take pics of some other kind of birdies :bleh: :rofl:

@ switch and smith,

really great photography :hap2:

Excellent shots there smith.

nice attempt there @chaos. I dare you to shoot our resident birdie of TE and FE :p :bleh: :tongue:

bluediamond said:
^^ u used macro mode and zoom i suppose??? how much zoom??..;)
mention the cam details too na.. (for ppl like me who don remember wats in ur hand)

@BD : dont try to imitate chaos with your tiny piece, he has digital rebel xti.

btw if you right click on any image and then click on image properties you can get all details called metadata. i know you are lazy so i did that for you here :p

File change date and time: 2007:03:05 17:41:11
Image input equipment manufacturer: Canon
Image input equipment model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Exposure time: 0.01
F number: 5.6
ISO speed rating: 200
Shutter speed: 6.64386
Aperture: 4.97086
Exposure bias: 0
Flash: 16
Lens focal length: 400
Focal plane X resolution: 3954.23
Focal plane Y resolution: 3958.76
Focal plane resolution unit: 2
Custom rendered: 0
Exposure mode: 0
White balance: 0
Scene capture type: 0

you cant get zoom details on this though. and secondly macro and zoom both dont go well together IIRC.

bluediamond said:
^^ u used macro mode and zoom i suppose??? how much zoom??..;)

mention the cam details too na.. (for ppl like me who don remember wats in ur hand)

No macro... used a telephoto zoom lens - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L at 400mm.

@kneo: On slrs there's no concept of zoom in X since all slr zoom lenses are optimized for operating in a certain range of focal lengths for best optical performance. You'll hardly find a 10x or 12x superzoom that is of great optical quality. Exceptions do exist to the rule however... the Nikon 18-200mm VR is a frickin awesome lens.

Here's one with nice bokeh (background blur)

medpal said:
you cant get zoom details on this though. and secondly macro and zoom both dont go well together IIRC.
Well there's nothing such as a zoom raio on DSLR's simply because you keep changing lenses :p

If you want to calculate it though, the lens he used was a 100-400mm, and that shot is at 400mm, so effectively 4x zoom ;)

Remember though, that is a 1.6x crop body so his effective focal length was 640mm (400x1.6).. ;)

Anish said:
Well there's nothing such as a zoom raio on DSLR's simply because you keep changing lenses :p

If you want to calculate it though, the lens he used was a 100-400mm, and that shot is at 400mm, so effectively 4x zoom ;)

Remember though, that is a 1.6x crop body so his effective focal length was 640mm (400x1.6).. ;)
thanks for enlightment anish :D

infact i do know that slrs dont have x level zoom ratios. this comment was meant for bluediamond.

medpal said:
thanks for enlightment anish :D

infact i do know that slrs dont have x level zoom ratios. this comment was meant for bluediamond.

Heh, no probs, I'm also getting into DSLR's, I'm much better versed with shooting techniques than equipment :D

Anish said:
Heh, no probs, I'm also getting into DSLR's, I'm much better versed with shooting techniques than equipment :D

lucky fella :p

expecting a ripple in show off soon :eek:hyeah:

Pciture 2 is really nice Blade,

As for Picture 3, the satuaration of the water in the lower part of the picture is superb, but the tree and jetty look a bit soft. Maybe you should use Sharpen Mask selectively in those areas.

Also if you could Clone away the sand on the bank and paint that house white, and the red car a bit more prominent, it would really give the photo and all round finish.

What settings did you use on both pictures btw, since they are missing the EXIF's ?

Anish said:

As for Picture 3, the satuaration of the water in the lower part of the picture is superb, but the tree and jetty look a bit soft. Maybe you should use Sharpen Mask selectively in those areas.

Also if you could Clone away the sand on the bank and paint that house white, and the red car a bit more prominent, it would really give the photo and all round finish.

What settings did you use on both pictures btw, since they are missing the EXIF's ?

:O :O

thankfully the pic 2 is just plain sky!!! or else he'd ve suggested some thing for tat too.. ;)

bluediamond said:
:O :O

thankfully the pic 2 is just plain sky!!! or else he'd ve suggested some thing for tat too.. ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You tempted me too much :p

Here's after some Gaussian Blur and Rendered Wind. Gives an effect of flight, very crudely done but I'm sure Blade can improvise a lot on that.

Actually the effect I wanted to give was a shallow depth of field, something you can only do with DSLR's on a telephoto. Didn't quite seem to get it.

E.g. -

Notice the background blur and the amazing sharpness of the bird. Chaos will testify how tough that is to achieve :p

Anish said:

Thanks. i haven't used the mask cause the tree isn't meant to stand out prominently anyways. Painting the house white sounds like a neat idea, maybe i'll try it sometime. Besides i haven't photochopped much on these images.

Exif
Code:
File
   Comment                 
Camera
   Make                    Canon
   Model                   Canon PowerShot S3 IS
   Orientation             Upper Left
   X resolution            180/1
   Y resolution            180/1
   Resolution unit         inches
   Date/time               3/7/2007 1:17:03 AM
   YCbCr positioning       centered
   Image description       
   Artist                  
   Copyright               
   Exposure time           1/1000 s
   F-number                f/4
   Date/time original      3/7/2007 1:17:03 AM
   Date/time digitized     3/7/2007 1:17:03 AM
   Component config        YCbCr
   Compressed BPP          3
   Shutter speed value     1/1002 s
   Aperture value          f/4
   Exposure bias value     0.00 eV
   Max. aperture value     f/3.5
   Metering mode           Pattern
   Focal length            72 mm
   User comment            
   Colorspace              sRGB
   Pixel X dimension       2816
   Pixel Y dimension       2112
   Focal plane X res.      2816000/225
   Focal plane Y res.      2112000/169
   Focal plane res. unit   inch
   Sensing method          One-chip color area sensor
   Custom Rendered         Normal process
   Exposure mode           Auto exposure
   White balance           Auto white balance
   Digital zoom ratio      1
   Scene capture type      Standard

nice to see some photography here :)

@ smith wat lens did u use to get the shots of the moon at how many mm and i have assumed that u have a tripod ......or it must have been quite a pain to take those shots......

nice pics everyone :) ill add some of mine

Back