The Photography Thread !

^^ second one in naaice.. :D

btw.. the buggers have decided to start a tax on photography on kaas plateau.. WTF!

Anything that gets commercial and famous , people want to milk money from it . Anyways doesn't matter if it's not too much . They probably will have a stupid rule like you pay more if your camera has video ! :p Looking forward to Kaas after the rains !

PS : Your avatar is awesome :D.

Anything that gets commercial and famous , people want to milk money from it . Anyways doesn't matter if it's not too much . They probably will have a stupid rule like you pay more if your camera has video ! :p Looking forward to Kaas after the rains !

PS : Your avatar is awesome :D.

lol.. thanks.. @Gannu and @djmykey said the same :p

anyways.. the charges are like 100 bucks for the "PRO" cameras.. 50 bucks for the P&S types.. and 25 for each of the mobile phone with camera you carry :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
One from Germany

4.jpg

I've been away from TE for a while & just happened to check some of the images on this thread. & quite a few of 'em are absolutely amazing! Good job to you all.

I'd like to share my photos bit by bit as well, mainly for constructive critique. But I'd like to know if there are any guidelines to be followed for posting in this thread. For instance, maximum no. of photos per post, or image size, or members' post count, etc. Also, is it ok to critique & be critiqued?

Thanks.

Post as many as you like. No prerequisites of any sort required. Only thing to keep in mind is don't post the complete image size. Post a smaller version so it doesn't take up the whole page and uses a lot of bandwidth. Critiques are always welcome. :)
@Brendon - Awesome shot!! That hole in the clouds looks really cool. :D

Brendon - very interesting angle :) Cropped ? Lens used ?

Thanks Freaky. :) Its not a crop. Its a full image taken with a Sigma 10-20mm lens. I rarely crop and if I do its mostly for macros as many a times its good to reduce the magnification to increase the DOF.
viralbug - Ha ha, I was just thinking darn it that stupid hole in the sky is ruining the photo and you actually like it ! Its good we all have different tastes. :)

One more to keep the thread moving -

4.jpg

@viralbug: Thanks for clarifying. & I loved your pics of the Vasai fort & the beaches.
Brendon: Are you the same Brendon from JJMehta forums who's a Sony fan but warns people about the prohibitive cost of the system, :)?

Here's a few from my end. Critique is always welcome, :).

Bandstand_Rocks01_P1040864.jpg

Bandstand_Rocks01_Vert_P1040864.jpg

Bandstand_Rocks02_P1040849.jpg

Bandstand_LoneRock_P1040847.jpg

viralbug: Thanks for clarifying. & I loved your pics of the Vasai fort & the beaches.
Brendon: Are you the same Brendon from JJMehta forums who's a Sony fan but warns people about the prohibitive cost of the system, :)?

Here's a few from my end. Critique is always welcome, :).

What me ? No no, that guy is insane ! He hasn't a clue what he is talking about. No idea why anyone takes him seriously. :annoyed:

I am much more sane than he is. Better looking too ! :D

About your photos, well your white balance is off. You need to correct that via Photoshop or set your camera WB accordingly when clicking photos. 99% of outdoor photos do fine with automatic white balance which fails mostly when clicking photos indoors. For sunsets its generally a good idea to underexpose a bit to get richer colours. I feel you took these photos a bit too early as the sun is blown. Little can be done with that. The only way it to wait a bit till the sun goes down further but that could mean very slow shutter speeds and a tripod might be needed.

Ha ha, I was just thinking darn it that stupid hole in the sky is ruining the photo and you actually like it ! Its good we all have different tastes. :)
Yeah it looks like some kind of vortex sucking up those clouds. :D

Are you the same Brendon from JJMehta forums who's a Sony fan but warns people about the prohibitive cost of the system, :)?
What me ? No no, that guy is insane ! He hasn't a clue what he is talking about. No idea why anyone takes him seriously. :annoyed:
Yup it's him. :p

Well, just give him a big thank you on my behalf whenever you come across that uglier Brendon on JJMPF. His comments have helped many. :p

About your photos, well your white balance is off. You need to correct that via Photoshop or set your camera WB accordingly when clicking photos. 99% of outdoor photos do fine with automatic white balance which fails mostly when clicking photos indoors. For sunsets its generally a good idea to underexpose a bit to get richer colours. I feel you took these photos a bit too early as the sun is blown. Little can be done with that. The only way it to wait a bit till the sun goes down further but that could mean very slow shutter speeds and a tripod might be needed.

Thanks for the critique. I do agree with all that you've said. Just some things I should mention though.....

My bad! Should've probably mentioned that I've played with all of the photos in PS. The auto WB on the cam was more or less spot on. It's just that I've warmed up the 1st couple & cooled down the last one in PS. The 3rd one is probably closer to the SOOC than any of the others.

You're right about the blown out areas. [In fact, I quite like that on the 4th one- Reminds me of a studio shot] For me, the subject was the rocks & the water, not so much the sky. So I've exposed for the rocks. Also, I was trying to get that very slight blur to the water. So the shutter speeds are in the region of ~1/2, IIRC. I did use a tripod ofc, albiet an el cheapo imitation gorillapod. [It was between 6.15-6.45 pm, & i thought it was dark enough - Apparently not!]

I realize that the only way around this is a GND filter, or HDR. Since I have a Panny LZ8, I haven't purchased any filters. But I did shoot a few brackets. So I'll probably post those next & maybe you could say whether they are any better.

Again, thanks for your critique. I quite appreciate it. I am in no way disputing anything you've said. In fact, I should've posted a bit more information along with the photos.

krishnandu: Thanks for the like!

My bad! Should've probably mentioned that I've played with all of the photos in PS. The auto WB on the cam was more or less spot on. It's just that I've warmed up the 1st couple & cooled down the last one in PS. The 3rd one is probably closer to the SOOC than any of the others.

You're right about the blown out areas. [In fact, I quite like that on the 4th one- Reminds me of a studio shot] For me, the subject was the rocks & the water, not so much the sky. So I've exposed for the rocks. Also, I was trying to get that very slight blur to the water. So the shutter speeds are in the region of ~1/2, IIRC. I did use a tripod ofc, albiet an el cheapo imitation gorillapod. [It was between 6.15-6.45 pm, & i thought it was dark enough - Apparently not!]
Blown out areas are just plain distractions. I guess the studio kinda effect which you thought might not work well for land/sea scapes, boz as i look at your pics my eyes just move to the blown out areas and not able to look at the subject. Yeah filters would help a lot, but also you can bring out details from the overexposed areas in PS.

One from me:

MGM Dizzee World, Chennai. by Ravikanth K, on Flickr

Also check out the 360 Degree View here: http://360.io/ZtFwsm

Back