The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
terence_fdes said:
What about Electricity Consumption - Is it true that as one goes Higher-Up on the wattage your Bill's [monthly electricity/Reliance Energy Mumbai] get proportionately higher ?
- Ultimately I am looking at just the right PSU for my need's which need's to be
Stable
Energy Efficient
Low Power Consumption
- And I am willing to spend more for the precise Brand/Model that is upto 520W - If that is necessary

P.S: Sea Sonic has incorporated Energy Star 5.0 specification; Are there any other brand's that are also Energy Efficient ?
That is not true. A good higher wattage PSU with high efficiency would consume less power than the cheapo PSU of same wattage with low efficiency. e.g A cheapo 450W with 60-70% efficiency PSU will draw more power than the 450W or 600W PSU having 85%-90% efficiency.

Go with Seasonic S12II 520W or 620W, it will suffice your needs.

thomasjude47 said:
I have the following config

AMD phenom II X2 550be unlocked to X4

Asus m4a78-em/1394

2GB ddr2

WD caviar green 500GB HDD

3X 80mm LEd fans

single 120mm LED fan

Hard disk cooler

XFX Ati radeon 5770

PSU- Cooler master extreme power plus 460W
IS my system adequately powered?

CM Extreme Power Plus 460? You have to admit that theres a time bomb in your rig... Get rid of it as soon as you can... Or if you want sell it for 1.2 to 1.5k and buy Seasonic S12 II 430 ~ 2650 by adding some more money... S12II 430w is a very reliable PSU which comes with five years warranty and it would be enough to handle your rig...

Really useful for newbies like myself. Never really cared about the PSU so far because all my systems so far were branded ones. I am going to assemble my own PC in a while and only now my eyes are opening up to something called PSU.

I checked out a few PSUs in SMC but I cannot see any specification of being modular or not.

Thanks REALLY for the Inputs: Will do further R & D [based on my final specs] before I settle for the recommended Seasonic s12ii 520w or 480-500W.

Just a few more doubts @thomasjude47 gave his specs & now as @Hades mentions -

Hades. said:
CM Extreme Power Plus 460? You have to admit that theres a time bomb in your rig... Get rid of it as soon as you can... Or if you want sell it for 1.2 to 1.5k and buy Seasonic S12 II 430 ~ 2650 by adding some more money... S12II 430w is a very reliable PSU which comes with five years warranty and it would be enough to handle your rig...

......... So is CM or Thermaltake not on the same quality level as "seasonic".

Lastly, I will not be overclocking at all. Now if one has majorly oc or unlocked as the OP has done above on his existing rig .... is that why Hades see's it as a "time-Bomb" with the 460W CM PSU ????

terence_fdes said:
Thanks REALLY for the Inputs: Will do further R & D [based on my final specs] before I settle for the recommended Seasonic s12ii 520w or 480-500W.

Just a few more doubts @thomasjude47 gave his specs & now as @Hades mentions -

......... So is CM or Thermaltake not on the same quality level as "seasonic".

Lastly, I will not be overclocking at all. Now if one has majorly oc or unlocked as the OP has done above on his existing rig .... is that why Hades see's it as a "time-Bomb" with the 460W CM PSU ????
The low end psus of Cooler master are not of good quality. Cooler Master is best for cabinets but not for lower end psu. The extreme power series of Cooler master are of very low quality and seasonic makes the best psus.

The cm 460w psu that you are saying is not 80+ certified,meaning it only give 65-70% efficiency,so if you run 4core cpu and a 5770 gpu on that psu it will blow up,series of that cm psu is not that good compared to seasonics,you can compare cm gx 450w/550w psu with the seasonic psu we are suggesting.it's just that the above series is not that good.

corsair tx650 v2 would be enough for gtx560ti sli setup for single seasonic s12ii 520w would be good.

^ I won't be cutting it close right? The specs I've finalized upon are..

2500k (will be overclocking it)

MSI Z68A G45

HDD + DVD

560 Ti

Possible future upgrades-

Another 560Ti

SSD

hi

I have a Corsair VX 450 PSU with me in waranty, i have sold most of my pc parts only the Cabby, monitor and Bijli and PSU is left... i am also planing to sell all this...

hwever the VX450 is very good PSU... i will be building a new System with a 24" Inch full HD screen.. and will use any futre genertion card from AMD or nvidia... is it good idea to keep the PSU with me and carry it with new system... or should i sell it and buy more beter PSU like 850w, or 750w...

I will be building new system once Bulldozer is released....

If you are getting gpu in 10-12k range i would suggest you to sell the psu and buy seasonic or corsair 650/750w,you can also oc the bulldozer.

Hello Geeks, Techies and Friends,

Want your advise and suggestion. Need a PSU for following config.

Core i5 2400

Intel DH67CL(B3)ATX board.

GPU - Onboard.

2 x 2GB Kingston 1333Mhz(Has been set to utilize Dual Channel mode)

500GB Seagate 7200.12

LG 24x DVD Writer.

Cooler Master Elite 310.

Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Future upgrade would be GPU just in case for casual gaming or editing images/documents. Otherwise the PC would be heavily used for Billing, Ecommerce, Browsing, Online games at the max.

Budget has been exhausted, and hence is restricted upto 2000 INR for the PSU.

Your advise and suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit - The PC would remain Powered On for at-least 9-10 hours a day and has a APC 500 series UPS backup.

tush said:

Core i5 2400

Intel DH67CL(B3)ATX board.

GPU - Onboard.

2 x 2GB Kingston 1333Mhz(Has been set to utilize Dual Channel mode)

500GB Seagate 7200.12

LG 24x DVD Writer.

Cooler Master Elite 310.

Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Future upgrade would be GPU just in case for casual gaming or editing images/documents. Otherwise the PC would be heavily used for Billing, Ecommerce, Browsing, Online games at the max.

Your advise and suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit - The PC would remain Powered On for at-least 9-10 hours a day and has a APC 500 series UPS backup.

It would be better if you would spend 650 bucks more and go with Seasonic S12II 430w PSU which is 80+ Broze certified... And as you have mentioned that your PC would remain on for 9 to 10 hours daily then i think a higher efficiency PSU like S12II 430 would be good and which would lead to low amount electricity bill... You can buy this PSU from TheITWares if you stay in mumbai... or you can order it online if you stay outside of Mumbai

tush said:

Core i5 2400

Went big on the processor and skimped on one of the most crucial components didn't we!? :(

A common mistake by most people. Wish this question had come up before you bought all your components.

FSP Saga II 500W

Seasonic S12II 430w PSU

As Megamind and Hades suggested, are good VFM units although I am more inclined towards the Seasonic unit. It has good reviews and the extra few hundred bucks will be worthwhile.

Go for seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k psu.:),it is 80+ certified bronze psu with very good efficiency.

Meg@M!nd said:
^^FSP Saga II 500W - 2.1K

It has been my first choice but not available where i stay. I am outside Mumbai.

Hades. said:
It would be better if you would spend 650 bucks more and go with Seasonic S12II 430w PSU which is 80+ Broze certified... And as you have mentioned that your PC would remain on for 9 to 10 hours daily then i think a higher efficiency PSU like S12II 430 would be good and which would lead to low amount electricity bill... You can buy this PSU from TheITWares if you stay in mumbai... or you can order it online if you stay outside of Mumbai

Sure, I will try to see if the budget can be pushed a little more, but again this is also not available at my location.
krashnburn said:
Went big on the processor and skimped on one of the most crucial components didn't we!? :(

A common mistake by most people. Wish this question had come up before you bought all your components.

FSP Saga II 500W

Seasonic S12II 430w PSU

As Megamind and Hades suggested, are good VFM units although I am more inclined towards the Seasonic unit. It has good reviews and the extra few hundred bucks will be worthwhile.

Thanks for your suggestion pal. And I agree, PSU is something that shouldnt be compromised. Hence I have forced to increase the budget for a good PSU and have reached out max at 2000 INR.

And its not a mistake. Circumstances have forced and that's the reason many people although willing to get the best but are forced to go cheap or compromise somewhere.

Following is the story for better understanding.

The system is for a friend of mine.

The system config would have been even pathetic had he not asked me for suggestions.

It would have been a 650-800 bucks PSU from VIP with cracked version of OS and billing apps which most money minded System Builders give to innocent buyers. But the system is going to be built as per my suggestion but also making sure not with a big dent to his already increased budget.

Initially the configuration was Core i3 2100 and DH67BL(B3) micro ATX board.

I have as it is convinced him for good components and also for a licensed version of the OS which has eating up majority budget.

Second, he even needs to buy Tally billing application. Which would be another 10k

I had factored Gigabyte Superb 460 already(or something better as here we could manage 500-600 bucks more) as per the Core i3 config to fit everything very well in the budget.

Following reasons have made sure to restrict the PSU budget to 2000 INR.

1. Decision by him to move to Core i5.

2. Dollar value increase against INR, which has increased price of every component by 50-100 in some cases even more rupees just within 15 days.(I am sure the prices are no longer at that point as mentioned in our PC buying guide. They have gone way up within these 15 days.

3. Licensed version of Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and Tally Billing application (I am happy that he understood why licensed and agreed to increase the budget for this.)

4. The Local Octroi that gets charged if anything that is bought from outside the local region, is again restricting me to suggest him to buy anything outside.

5. Another friend into computer business feeding his mind(3 saal ke upar system chala to samajhne ka bonus :()

Hence I thought of asking you all for any PSU for aam janta:S that would not be too big a compromise.

Had it been the case to just suggest something for the sake of, I could have easily told him to get a VIP 500 Watt costing around 1900-2000 INR.
thegatekeeper said:
Go for seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k psu.:),it is 80+ certified bronze psu with very good efficiency.

Sure bro, I will try my best to ask him to increase the budget and tell him everyone's valuable recommendation given here. The licensed version of OS and billing application alone is costing around 18-19000/-.

Friends, your above comments have helped me find out there is no other workaround at that price range for mentioned config other then what you have suggested. But it is convincing me more and more that today a small business still cannot afford a good system along with license copy of OS and billing solutions.

Personally it has been a hard day for me today hence could'nt reply early and have somehow managed to reply you guys since the PSU is delaying his system.

Thanks a ton! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back