The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Honestly for youyr config get the smallest Corsair or seasonic and you'd be fine. in one short sentence...

Infected said:
^^ Honestly for youyr config get the smallest Corsair or seasonic and you'd be fine. in one short sentence...

Thats true..

But i just wanted to make some things clear..

^^ Smallest Corsair or Seasonic again!! unless u elaborate the usage or the config.

Please people don't get obsessed with higher wattage PSU's.

.....really no one needs more than a MAXiMUM of 600W !!!!....unless Xfire or SLI or some crazy stuff which they know better.... so yeah no point.

....really the best PSU range is a 450W to the HX620 (...both from corsair i forgot the 450 ones code though that is plenty or most of us, or even SeasonSonic IMO)

...people are wasting money on their bills when getting higher rated SMPS than their needs ...its an obsession to be safe I guess I don't know.

Good night

Infected said:
people are wasting money on their bills when getting higher rated SMPS than their needs...

Not entirely true.. depends on the PSU.. Several high watt PSUs have greater eff. at 50% load..

For eg: GlacialPower GP-AX950AA is a 950W 80+ silver unit... When pulling around 400W of DC power, this unit has an eff of 89% i.e, it pulls only 450W from the AC supply, which we cant expect from any low wattage units...

dude infected you have slightly misinterpreted your inference of heat and voltages. 80 percent efficiency depends on output conversion over all voltages.. so no matter how much voltage it has to output the efficiency will be 80 percent minimum.. so your argument as to the UPS issue is not right man.. when the load on a psu is not increased, regardless of any wattage psu you get, the backup will remain constant. just because you get a higher wattage psu that necessarily does not mean it should get lesser backup or emit more heat at lower voltages.

However this does not apply to extremely low load <200watt wherein majority of the psu's will stutter to output 80 percent. otherwise the above applies..

Infected said:
people are wasting money on their bills when getting higher rated SMPS than their needs ...its an obsession to be safe I guess I don't know.

Not really. As megamind posted, another advantage of investing in a power supply which is rated slightly higher is to ensure that it works at its efficient best.

Take my case for instance - I use the Seasonic M12D 850 PSU. With the components mentioned in my signature, I suppose the total power draw wouldn't exceed 450W despite overclocking both the CPU and GPU with a bunch of hard drives. I haven't measured the exact power draw from the outlet though. May do that sometime later with a clamp meter.

Take a look at the efficiency vs loading graph from the test results from 80plus - Link

Exactly at 50% power draw, this power supply works efficiently. On the contrary, if I were to continue using my HX620 on the same system the efficiency wouldn't have been the best - Link.

ok folks psu time

rig -

i3 2100

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3

g skill 4 gig ram

1 tb hdd

asus xonar dx

1 sony sata dvd rw

will be getting a 6770/6850

i want a future proof psu.there wont be any major upgrades for the next year.cheaper the better ofcourse!

^^ thanks dark angel bro for the suggestion.do you think i should go for something upwards of 500 w? just for future upgrades if any.will in all probability be a 2 gig ram and another hdd.

^^^

FSP Saga 500w @ 2300/- ( Cable length is short, Choose this only if you are low on budget have a cabby in which PSU is mounted on the top side)

Seasonic 430 @ 2950/- (If available, get your hands on this one)

Coolermaster GX450 @ 3200/-

Coolermaster Real power pro 460 @ 3300/- ( Check the price )

Corsair GS 600 @ 3900/-

vantheman5211 said:
^^ thanks dark angel bro for the suggestion.do you think i should go for something upwards of 500 w? just for future upgrades if any.will in all probability be a 2 gig ram and another hdd.

It will easily handle these future upgrades. The S12II 430w can taken even more upgrades. So you can go ahead with it.

^^ thank you guys for your suggestions.i just inquired with our resident dealer rahul[itwares] and it seems that the seasonic 430 w smps at this moment is unavailable.

he has however recommended Corsair CX500V2 80+ Plus Certified Power Supply - 3000/-.should i go for this or look elsewhere for seasonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back