The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ultimabasher said:
Well it might come as a surprise but has anyone heard of Tacens Supero 600w?

Its manufactured by FSP, modular PSU, completely silent, rated at 85% and above all, for 3.9k. Killer deal. I got one myself and its rock stable and silent
can you tell from where did you buy it, I'm also looking for a modular psu.

Hades. said:
Where do you live? Try to find TX650V2 which sells for 5.2k in your city...

I live in Delhi only and buy my tech stuff from Nehru Place, I mostly buy from SMC international...

Guys can anyone tell me how is the cooler master ucp series, reviews looks good, I am in the lookout for a used psu and getting offers of UCP.

What happens if the power supply is in water. The SMPS in question is CM Modular 1000 watts silent PRO M. It was installed with the fan facing down. So when it flooded the half of the supply was under water and the system was off. I have taken out the SMPS from the pc and I have not connected the power till now. Will dry it completely before powering up.

But my question is will it work after drying or ????

low_bass_makker said:
What happens if the power supply is in water. The SMPS in question is CM Modular 1000 watts silent PRO M. It was installed with the fan facing down. So when it flooded the half of the supply was under water and the system was off. I have taken out the SMPS from the pc and I have not connected the power till now. Will dry it completely before powering up.

Doubt it is going to work. Would not risk it.

low_bass_makker said:

Going by personal experience, it will. :)

A Dell PC was completely submerged in water at my workplace (flooded unfortunately by rain water! :ashamed:) and it was left to dry for over a week. It booted and worked without problems.

I'd say have some patience and leave it to dry for a week's time. I must ask however, how did this happen?

Guys need your suggestions for new PSU.
Configuration -

i5 2500
2x 4GB 1333MHz RAM Corsair CMV CL9s
1 TB Seagate 7200 HDD
CM V6-GT CPU Cooler
HAF 912 Advanced - 1 x 200mm LED fan, 1 x 200mm Reg fan, 1 x 80mm Rear fan
Powered by Corsair VX450

Mainboard is Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H B3 1.1
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (rev. 1.1)

So what kind of power supplies should I be looking at to accommodate Nvidia GTX 570 ? I may need to add in another 1 TB HDD in some time.

I used PSU calculator with capacitor ageing @ 15% looks like a 650W PSU should cut it?

TIA

^^ I believe you would be fine with even a CX600 or a GS600 both from Corsair and way cheaper than the TX650/-

Going by your system specs the 2500 is not an OC model and the 570 takes about 30a Max.

YOu can first try your system on your current VX450 as well, that is a super PSU in its own right but you will be better of with anything more than 550 watts...

Have a nice day.

PS. I am running a 2600k@5Ghz, 580GTX OC again, Full water cooling, 5 Hdds + SSD, Led lights, 7 Fans (5 led fans) etc on a HX 620!!! SO I dont think you even need a TX650 at all, just an over kill.

If you want the TX series then a TX550 should serve you plenty.

Use a hair dryer everyday for a week to make it dry. Even a tiny water droplet can lead to a short circuit.

low_bass_makker said:

@ quixand
Don't ever try OC'ing or over-loading a Corsair GS or a GX series PSU, I've seen a lot of them go bad(I had recommended it to some of my friends when corsair had just replaced their VX series and it proved to be very unsatisfactory as compared to Corsair's older VX series(Seasonic build)).

Looking at your requirements I would suggest one of the following based on your preference for modular or non-modular and availability!! :

HX520/620
TX650

asingh said:
Doubt it is going to work. Would not risk it.
Gannu said:
Going by personal experience, it will. :)

A Dell PC was completely submerged in water at my workplace (flooded unfortunately by rain water! :ashamed:) and it was left to dry for over a week. It booted and worked without problems.

I'd say have some patience and leave it to dry for a week's time. I must ask however, how did this happen?
chiragsthakur said:
Use a hair dryer everyday for a week to make it dry. Even a tiny water droplet can lead to a short circuit.

Thanks Guys..I dried it for 4 days..Also the main pcb was not submerged underwater as the SMPS is mounted that way. I opened it up let it dry then cleaned the whole thing with Trichloroethylene and compressed air. Everything clean as new !!!!

Powered it up right now working. I also did the same thing to a MB it is also working..The chipset IC was under water but working now !!!!!

Thanks Guys !!!!

^Glad to hear that LBM! :)

@aman: The HX520/620 is EOL.

@infected: take into account the efficiency and warranty of those units as well. Low end power supplies from Corsair have a reduced warranty.

^That's a sweet deal for 6k! Should serve your present system and future upgrades without breaking a sweat.

Beware, the power supply is not modular, be prepared to tie all those cables inside the chassis to avoid clutter. :p

I saw the V1 for 5.9k there...the V1 is no slouch either. But tell me quix, are you running a dual GPU setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back