The Swimming Thread

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
Due to some recent development, I'm prescribed to swim 1 hour, 5 days/week by my doctor.
(Advised to avoid gym and running for a year, and gymming in future will be decided based on this one year period)

I've enrolled myself for 30minutes/30days with an amazing trainer last week and learning fast.
I was kind of immobile for last 2 months, gained disproportionate weight & an awful belly. I believe swimming is going to help me return back to shape.

Lets use this thread to discuss any information related to swimming, not only related to techniques but also gears and tech around it.

if anyone swims regularly please do share your tips and tricks.
currently, i'm trying to figure out how to avoid chlorine damage in skin, is there any particular shower/after shower available, which i can look on? i have very very sensitive skin.

Been an active swimmer all my life. Some general tips

1. Go easy to start with when you start swimming late. Most people learn swimming the wrong way due to bad trainers. Bad breathing patterns, techniques etc. and you will have a hard time in the long run. Take your time learning floating, breathing, freestyle first then other ones
2. I dont have an issue with chlorine damage so dont know any pre shower products. But post swimming, head wash is important if you are not using a swim cap. Better to have one.
3. Temperature control is important unless you are from Mumbai or hotter areas. I swim in winters in Delhi in temp. heated pools and so it has to be right. Or else you can fall sick quickly.

Just keep on increasing duration of laps/speed/intensity/whatever you can do make it slightly more challenging on a daily/weekly/monthly bases. YMMV.

Learn dead mans float before even starting to learn strokes. its very important.

ugh, I need to start swimming again.

Due to some recent development, I'm prescribed to swim 1 hour, 5 days/week by my doctor.
(Advised to avoid gym and running for a year, and gymming in future will be decided based on this one year period)

I've enrolled myself for 30minutes/30days with an amazing trainer last week and learning fast.
I was kind of immobile for last 2 months, gained disproportionate weight & an awful belly. I believe swimming is going to help me return back to shape.

Lets use this thread to discuss any information related to swimming, not only related to techniques but also gears and tech around it.

if anyone swims regularly please do share your tips and tricks.
currently, i'm trying to figure out how to avoid chlorine damage in skin, is there any particular shower/after shower available, which i can look on? i have very very sensitive skin.
Check out Total Immersion.
Absolutely essential before you start thrashing in the pool and learn wrong techniques.

Some on the things may be different from what your trainer teaches you.
Practice both and choose the one that allows you to glide in water easily and feel at complete ease.

thank you all for great response so far :)

Been an active swimmer all my life. Some general tips

1. Go easy to start with when you start swimming late. Most people learn swimming the wrong way due to bad trainers. Bad breathing patterns, techniques etc. and you will have a hard time in the long run. Take your time learning floating, breathing, freestyle first then other ones
2. I dont have an issue with chlorine damage so dont know any pre shower products. But post swimming, head wash is important if you are not using a swim cap. Better to have one.
3. Temperature control is important unless you are from Mumbai or hotter areas. I swim in winters in Delhi in temp. heated pools and so it has to be right. Or else you can fall sick quickly.
I guess, I've got a good trainer, an ex-army personnel, strict but not pushy. I mastered floating pretty quick, but breathing seems to be a daunting task, my leg/body moment stops when i try to breathe & gluping water :( i'm working on it.

I learnt in some other article and following, standing under the shower (normal water) for 5 minute before jumping in the pool so that surface of skin is pre-hydrated and wont absorb pool water, working out great so far.
Post shower is something i am still looking, presently using a nivea mild shower gel, but its leaving the skin dry.

Learn dead mans float before even starting to learn strokes. its very important.....
I mastered floating in day-3. I can play dead and balance myself in any condition in water. But yet to learn back float.

thank you all for great response so far :)

I guess, I've got a good trainer, an ex-army personnel, strict but not pushy. I mastered floating pretty quick, but breathing seems to be a daunting task, my leg/body moment stops when i try to breathe & gluping water :( i'm working on it.

I learnt in some other article and following, standing under the shower (normal water) for 5 minute before jumping in the pool so that surface of skin is pre-hydrated and wont absorb pool water, working out great so far.
Post shower is something i am still looking, presently using a nivea mild shower gel, but its leaving the skin dry.

I mastered floating in day-3. I can play dead and balance myself in any condition in water. But yet to learn back float.
wait, you definitely have to shower both before entering and after exiting the pool. the swimming pool I went to was very particular about it

wait, you definitely have to shower both before entering and after exiting the pool. the swimming pool I went to was very particular about it
yes, indeed its a prerequisite for commercial pools.
I'm referring to, spending a little more time under the shower and not a quick one, gives more time for the skin surface to absorb water.

yes, indeed its a prerequisite for commercial pools.
I'm referring to, spending a little more time under the shower and not a quick one, gives more time for the skin surface to absorb water.
Any way to prevent tan? I am thinking of swimming in an outdoor pool under direct sun. Got no choice.

Back