The TE Essential Freeware Thread !

GrimReaper said:
Hi guys,
I am looking for a good replacement for Launchy (Application launcher). I love launchy but it seems to be using up too much resource. I would like to know if theres a good replacement which uses up lesser resource. I dont need a GUI launcher a Launchy like box is good enough.
executor.dk is really good IMO. Very light and simple to set up. You can also try "Find and Run Robot"

Kindly suggest me a free Broadband speed booster software.......

Hi,

Looking for a replacement for Tune Up Utilities ----> TuneUp Utilities

Suggestions welcome
<

Use advance system care 5.1 in replacement to Tune up utilities. It is good.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Hi guys,

Im looking for free data recovery software. Accidentally, I've used Shift+Del to delete the files. I want to recover them. Please suggest.

Hi guys,

Im looking for free data recovery software. Accidentally, I've used Shift+Del to delete the files. I want to recover them. Please suggest.

Before you recover the files, ensure that it is being done on a different physical HDD/pen drive (not different partitions) and not the same HDD.

#skaluva:

http://www.hiren.info/downloads/data-recovery/hard-drive/1

If you have deleted partitions by accident, do not create another partitions, just leave it blank.

If you have deleted files from the recycling bin and you realize you needed it, do not save anything to that drive. Because Hard drives do not actually erase data or partitions. When you erase a file from the operating system, it just marked on the drive as deleted. When your system needs to store more data on that drive, it will consider files on the drive marked Deleted as being free space, and it copy over them. If that happens then you are in big trouble.

This rule also applies for partitions, since partition information just presents the operating system with a way of addressing the space available on that drive. If you delete a partition, everything from will be gone. because there is no partition information, no data can be read by the operating system. Your data will be on the hard drive but operating system can not see that. Data-recovery programs can see that data by scanning hard drive.

The Best thing to do in a data loss situation is to make sure no more data is written to that drive. If you have just the one partition and it's fried, you can't boot normally to the operating system.

The best option is to transfer your hard drive to another computer. Transferring the Hard disk drive to another computer is best because it will prevent the drive from being over written, and potentially allowing you to retrieve files from the disk just by using Windows Explorer to look through file structures. If you have damaged or erased important operating system files, but the partition information is still readable Windows will not boot.

If you can not physically transfer the hard disk to another computer, The simplest way to gain access to the files on your hard disk drive with a DOS boot disk and then use a DOS compatible file recovery program.

If you have only one hard drive with a single partition that is no longer bootable, file recovery becomes more difficult. Because most recovery programs will need a place to copy recovered data, and if you are using the same drive which has the lost data on it you will be destroying more data than you save.

Sorry.. I didn't get your suggestion. What makes difference? Why do i need another drive to recover the files?

#ayanavish has explained it well. If you want a paper analogy of the same, imagine that you have scribbled something on a piece of paper. Now after erasing it, still you will be able to read what you have written due to the impression of the pencil on the paper. But, when you write something on the paper again, you will not be able to read what you had written and erased earlier.

Guys, please suggest a good file/folder checksum verification utility. I went through this thread and saw some recommendations here (page 3 of this thread), but the one I use seem to be better than those.

I need the software for the following purpose:I backup all my important stuff in 4 hard disks (meaning 4 copies). These include more than 100GB of photos and personal videos, huge truecrypt partitions, movies/serials/songs/ebooks/software etc. I want to periodically verify the integrity of these backups (may be like once every 2 months or so).

Right now, I am using Hashcheck Shell Extension recommended here. It does everything I want to, except that I wish they verification report should have been slightly better. Right now, it displays all files in one big list and you need to scroll through them to find the ones which failed the verification. Also, it ignores new files in a folder.

So, if you guys have any favourites, please let me know.

I am looking for a simple software to download multiple download links for me which automatically downloads the files after 30 sec or so.....

I think you know what I mean.....

Back