The wet shaving thread

Have started to add glycerin (4-5 drops) to the lather mix, and it gives a nice smooth glide to the razor.
I find the park avenue creams respond the best to glycerin, makes for a thick lather or you could just pick up a tube of dettol shaving cream and get the same without glycerin.

Not noticed too much difference with others. why ? because they already have enough glycerin.

This is already in my Amazon cart. Just waiting for some more items to accumulate. Some comparison coming from Gillette DE razor would be helpful, as i am using Gillette DE myself.

I guess you are looking at the Edwin Jagger, but I'll compare the Gillette with the Merkur.

Got myself a Merkur 33C and it is a mighty fine piece of work. The 33C + a Merkur blade vs the Gillete DE metal head + the India made Wilkinsons is night and day same as I noticed with the Gillete DE metal head vs Gillette DE plastic head. The 33C handles nice and easy and the extra weight makes a huge difference. Really wanted the 34C for the extra weight it would have provided but AMZN did not have it on Global Shipping so got myself the 33C. No complaints though.

I guess you are looking at the Edwin Jagger, but I'll compare the Gillette with the Merkur.

Got myself a Merkur 33C and it is a mighty fine piece of work. The 33C + a Merkur blade vs the Gillete DE metal head + the India made Wilkinsons is night and day same as I noticed with the Gillete DE metal head vs Gillette DE plastic head. The 33C handles nice and easy and the extra weight makes a huge difference. Really wanted the 34C for the extra weight it would have provided but AMZN did not have it on Global Shipping so got myself the 33C. No complaints though.
Is the M33c more aggressive than a TTO..?

Got a few more shaving stuff... Merkur Futur safety adjustable razor, two bowls of taylor of bond street cream, and edwin jagger badger brush.

had my sister in law who came from US to carry with her!!! Came to around 6000 INR total

Is the M33c more aggressive than a TTO..?

Can't say since I haven't used a Twist To Open razor but I've found the Merkur 33C to make for precise and quick work.

No nicks at all going on 10 days with a single Merkur DE blade. With a Gillette steel head DE + IN Wilkinsons nicks in 3 days of usage no matter how careful I am.

What' so special about it?
It's rather easily available and quite cheap to boot!

I meant the razor..!

I am talking about the Gillette SuperSpeed, FatBoy, or Slim series. The Vintage ones, which ceases manufacture probably around 1980. Just Google these names on ebay.com; and see the auction prices. They are the holy-grain of shaving. With a heavy cutter-head, and tarnish proof SS...! Most were classical TTOs...! Some users might have left-overs here.[DOUBLEPOST=1402643743][/DOUBLEPOST]How many Shaves you all getting from 7'O Clock Platinum - Black. Mine was useless on the 3rd shave. (3 passes each shave) Where as Wilk.Sword goes almost till 5 shaves, when they are much cheaper.

Last edited:
I use Gillette greens. Usually get 4 shaves(2 pass) Sometimes 1 pass when i am late to catch the office bus. How do you guys keep track of which side of blade you use, I shave the left side with one edge and the right side with the other. Well not exactly at the middle :)

I use Gillette greens. Usually get 4 shaves(2 pass) Sometimes 1 pass when i am late to catch the office bus. How do you guys keep track of which side of blade you use, I shave the left side with one edge and the right side with the other. Well not exactly at the middle :)

There is no need to flip it............! It makes no difference.

Edwin Jagger from TheEnglishShavingCompany. 29 pounds. No customs charged.
Haven't tried it yet. But the blade angle is more curved downwards than my Gillette razor. I guess thats good. Couldn't capture it in pics

iwq5iu.jpg

214uk4w.jpg

33axchl.jpg

dnmyj6.jpg

Had put this on B&B:

Here is the review of the Old Spice Musk shaving cream, available in India.

Price : INR 60 (~ USD 1.00)

This is the back portion of the tube (front side too), which has some prose about "being a man"..!
DSC03619_zps337ad43d.jpg

DSC03620_zps883c4dc2.jpg

The basic set up I will be using today.

1. Local TTO DE razor.
2. Laser Ultra Blade.
3. Gillette brush with synthetic bristles.
DSC03624_zps2cd74607.jpg

I place some cream in the bowl, and start to lather up.
DSC03625_zpsed8ba82a.jpg

Within 15-20 seconds the lather is frothing.
DSC03628_zpsf87bdf56.jpg

After around a minute, the lather is taking shape and adhering within.
DSC03629_zps6c98f341.jpg

Another 3-4 minutes (and ~2 small spoons of water), the lather is ready. Is quite viscous in nature, and not as thick. Has the musk fragrance, which slowly diminishes as the lather is exposed to natural surroundings.
DSC03630_zpsddbf7d14.jpg

DSC03633_zps8e0d316b.jpg

Post shave verdict:
1. Cream is easy to control and lather.
2. Rests not as dense on the face, even when I did a bit of face lathering on the created lather.
3. Glide is average.
4. Leaves my face soft and supple after the product has been washed off, after the 3x passes.

That lather looks a little light to me, use little less water and double the cream.

Old spice lathers well.

The lather acts as a cushion between your face and the blade.

With the brush you have, you really have to whip it for as long as you did, a badger brush would have it ready in about a minute.

That lather looks a little light to me, use little less water and double the cream.

Old spice lathers well.

The lather acts as a cushion between your face and the blade.

With the brush you have, you really have to whip it for as long as you did, a badger brush would have it ready in about a minute.

I also lather on my face...! Yes, Badger brushes would do the job much quicker, since they absorb much more water.

Actually I just spread the cream on my face and do some slight rubbing with hands+fingers (like a massage) and few drops of water.
Forms a thin adhering layer unlike foamy lather.

I have seen it offers better shaving experience than having suds of frothy foam (which is not much different from these Gillette spray on types).

Actually if you think, what is the purpose of shaving cream?
Why should more froth/foam help?

Face lathering is the best way to do it but it gets tedious for multiple passes. yeah, once in a way is fine. People i know that face lather do just one pass or rather a pass and a half. If you shave after a bath then the beard is soft otherwise you have to spend more time face lathering to get the beard wet and soft.

If you do it in a bowl its more consistent and you can do several passes easily.

Try with the godrej puck, the lather it produces is excellent, if you can put up with its 'perfume'. Otherwise you can use it to make a super lather with a cream. To get it to work, just drop a couple teaspoons of warm water over the surface and leave it for 15 minutes to soften then use a brush on it.

Actually I just spread the cream on my face and do some slight rubbing with hands+fingers (like a massage) and few drops of water.

I have seen it offers better shaving experience than having suds of frothy foam (which is not much different from these Gillette spray on types).

a brush will do it more efficiently. purpose of a lather is to produce a cushion. The difference between using it from a can vs a brush is convenience but it does not raise the beard like massaging or using a brush. This is a compromise that people have gotten used to over the years.

Last edited:

If doing multiple passes (which is needed with DEs) you will need more lather. So people prepare multitudes of it, in a bowl. Usually people prefer cream/soaps vs. out of the can, cause the former offers soothing and hair softening ingredients. Also the post skin condition is better. The density is supposed to give better glide and buffer between the non-cartridge straight blade.

Back