The wet shaving thread

^can you shed some light on proraso? because its available everywhere here in oz.
Also can you guys suggest me some medication/aftershave for my "extremely sensitive" skin? basically, I cant use regular bath soap because it makes skin dry and flaky. I have to apply aftershave almost everyday because I get zits which are probably caused due to razor rash. btw, I use straight edge razor because I dont want to use blades more than once (again infection)

I have not used the Proraso cream yet. But it holds high value among users as a budget cream. Along with the Arko...! You can use DE blades 4-7 times (depending on the blade). Just wash it with hot water, after disengaging it completely from the DE razor mechanical. To be safe, you can dip it once in IPA or simple Dettol liquid...!

How much and where did you buy it from ?

I got it from Purplle.com. It works like this:

1. Place an order from their site.
2. ONLY USE COD.
3. After some weeks you will get a mail / request that there is a delay. "Should we proceed with order".
4. Say, YES.
5. Follow up.
6. They will probably ship or cancel.
7. Go back to (1).

So in around 6-8 weeks you will get your order. BUT use COD, so your money is not stuck in a black-hole. You just have to be patient.

The above unit costed: INR 875.

I also got this (Omega 11126) in August for: INR 1055. The boar hair has bloomed really well. Delight to lather with. Wooden handle....! Boar brushes take quite a lot of uses to break - in and bloom for significant volume and water absorbing capacity. One can accelerate the break-in process, by leaving it overnight covered in lather.

WP_20150205_13_07_55_Pro_zps7fa16f1a.jpg

have been using mach3 +foam to shave all my life. heard these single blade shaves are better for skin and i do have acne sometimes too so it should help as well right ? hardly see these single blade razors anywhere now. anywhere online to order them ?

have been using mach3 +foam to shave all my life. heard these single blade shaves are better for skin and i do have acne sometimes too so it should help as well right ? hardly see these single blade razors anywhere now. anywhere online to order them ?

The shave is good, but learning takes a while. Dome local retail shops nay have cheap DE razors. 100 bucks or something. Blades are easily available. Online (good razors) will set you back 800-1000 almost. Better to practice on the Indian ones first.....!

Strange, I find the single blades at many of the Kiranas as well as shops like Reliance, More etc
There are two components to it:
1. the safety razor equipment : http://www.theartofshaving.com/razors-safety-razors/razors-safety-razors,default,sc.html
2. the actual razor blade (disposable kind) : http://www.theartofshaving.com/Merk...zors-safety-razors&navid=razors-safety-razors
Usually both come bundled together.

Gillette, 7 o clock etc are the names you have to look out for.
The unfortunate thing is that the safety razor holder (1) will usually be plastic.

Gillette, 7 o clock etc are the names you have to look out for.
The unfortunate thing is that the safety razor holder (1) will usually be plastic.
i tried a plastic one as an experiment, i'm still using it today. works great with black platinums. And that's the key, cheaper blades require a heavier head to work. The sterling they sell here is very mild in terms of blade angle.

so this leads to softer skin ? less irritation ? any single blade holder i range on around 200 rs. and are all blades equal ? like which ones to get ? the links posted are of foreign websites. i need those that deliver in india

all blades are not equal. all blades do not work for everyone. you have to find what works for you. you will like some better than others.

irritation has many causes.
how often do you change your blades ?
do you use too much pressure when shaving ?
do you prepare your beard before shaving. shave after a bath is better as the beard hair is more soft. requires less pressure to shave. less pressure means less blade rubbing against your skin.

33axchl.jpg

i use the red one, you can find that in the shops. i find it works best with the black 7 oclock.

if you can try the second from the top, its called sterling, very good for beginners i would think, very mild razor. the red one is little more aggressive.

After you finish shaving don't use any alcoholic after shave use this shaving balm from nivea. moisturiser with other stuff helps with soft skin.

DSC03625_zpsed8ba82a.jpg

so this leads to softer skin ? less irritation ? any single blade holder i range on around 200 rs. and are all blades equal ? like which ones to get ? the links posted are of foreign websites. i need those that deliver in india

It will not lead to softer skin just by using a DE razor system. Basically the whole ecosystem composes of:

1. Keeping your face extremely wet and hydrated with the slickest substance available.
2. Using a brush and tube cream to create a rich slick foamy lather.
3. Shaving with a single edge (DE) and doing multiple passes, just slightly grazing your skin.
4. Using a good after shave treatment.

It will take practice. Get the plastic DE razor as shown, and practice.

thnx guys . i hav tht nivea after shave balm that i got wth the foam but i dont use it. i prefer a oil free moisturiser from neutrogena tht doesnt clog pores. i think il order that gillete sterling as advised but is out of stock on flipkart.

Guys...
Any pointouts for getting single edge blades for shavettes?
(The same you get by breaking a double edge ones..)
They were cheap in UK compared to breaking a DE one..
BTW I use a Bluebeard revenge shavette..

Believe me.. once you use a shavette/single edge shave even DErazor feels unsatisfactory..

i hav tht nivea after shave balm that i got wth the foam but i dont use it. i prefer a oil free moisturiser from neutrogena tht doesnt clog pores.
You could try aloe vera gel by a brand called green leaf. They recommend it for sun burn but i don't see why it would not work as a shave balm. You can get a 125gm jar for under Rs.100.

Guys...
Any pointouts for getting single edge blades for shavettes?
(The same you get by breaking a double edge ones..)
They were cheap in UK compared to breaking a DE one..
They don't sell any i've seen locally. Did you try with black platinums.

What have you found worked for you with local brands ?

BTW I use a Bluebeard revenge shavette..
This one, that would make it around Rs.800

I picked one up some time back for about Rs.100, it was ok.

Believe me.. once you use a shavette/single edge shave even DErazor feels unsatisfactory..
You have more control over blade angle, so it will cut closer for sure. More skin stretching required. The straight edge board is amazing when it comes to knowledge, these guys really know their stuff.

Tried it for a bit and went back to DE

You could try aloe vera gel by a brand called green leaf. They recommend it for sun burn but i don't see why it would not work as a shave balm. You can get a 125gm jar for under Rs.100.

I have been using this for the past week. It is for RS. 180/120ml. Biotique Wild Grass - AS Gel. It is quite cooling and harnesses the irritation to zero...!

WP_20150312_09_58_23_Pro_zpsfcybcwc5.jpg

I bought this last week. and... Highly recommended. My skin is too sensitive to soap and this is awesome.
a9b3dcacf37045f26a908b8207ec82ed.jpg

I have been using this for the past week. It is for RS. 180/120ml. Biotique Wild Grass - AS Gel. It is quite cooling and harnesses the irritation to zero...!
Did not mention it because he says his skin is irritated, there is a little sting with the bio grass which is nice and great on a hot day. This is the only non oil based gel i've found locally.

Did not mention it because he says his skin is irritated, there is a little sting with the bio grass which is nice and great on a hot day. This is the only non oil based gel i've found locally.

I found it quite relieving for the irritation.

Back