The wet shaving thread

Query is not related to wet shaving. I am using Gillette Mach 3 since lot of time and I am generally satisfied with it. Now I am used to shaving in shower rather than using gel and shaving brush etc.

So am I ok continue using this razor or go for some other option. Also I will be buying from USA so I won't be able to buy anything which is indian brand if any. So it has to be available in USA stores like Walmart etc.

Query is not related to wet shaving. I am using Gillette Mach 3 since lot of time and I am generally satisfied with it. Now I am used to shaving in shower rather than using gel and shaving brush etc.

So am I ok continue using this razor or go for some other option. Also I will be buying from USA so I won't be able to buy anything which is indian brand if any. So it has to be available in USA stores like Walmart etc.

It depends what you want to move to. Safety razor shaving is a whole different domain vs. Mach 3 types.

So am I ok continue using this razor or go for some other option.
Its totally up to you. I stopped using the Gillette few years ago because of the problems with infection. Gillette becomes too costly if you want to discard it after a single shave.

Currently I use http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Edge...F8&qid=1456498389&sr=1-2&keywords=utopia+care and shave secret from walmart. works perfectly for me and this is typically more than an years supply for me.

The thing with this type of shaving is that it will take a long time. unless you enjoy 45mins of shaving time dont buy this. with gillette it would typically take 2-3 mins for me.

Skuttle Time...!

WP_20160312_20_10_22_Pro_zpsms2gctq3.jpg

WP_20160312_20_10_42_Pro_zpsh7sqagez.jpg

You literally get an explosion of lather and it remains warm too. The inner grooves help a lot.

Thanks to Sydbarret, for sending me a round from his home town. Below is a review:

The shaving soap comes in a small sized box, and the back has a tiny hole to let out the moisture.

WP_20161009_12_20_22_Pro_zpsphyoo1rh.jpg

WP_20161009_12_52_17_Pro_zpsxy6km06u.jpg

As many have said, it has a distinct soapy smell. Is not aggravating on the nerves nor is it design scented to be awe struck. The soap is hard in texture, and should easily last around 30 shaves, depending how much one is loading, initially.
WP_20161009_12_21_20_Pro_zps7ldnmuyx.jpg

Adding some warm water for a couple of minutes, lets the soap bloom; and softens the texture for a brush load.
WP_20161009_12_22_49_Pro_zps51ersqgt.jpg

After a 60 second load, with a damp (but not dripping wet) boar brush:
WP_20161009_12_26_21_Pro_zpsklm3qbzi.jpg

And going to town on my face, whilst adding few drops of warm water directly to the tips you get:
WP_20161009_12_29_22_Pro_zpsceqskqgg.jpg

Post the two pass through, there is enough left for a third:
WP_20161009_12_32_42_Pro_zpsrkqyypiu.jpg

Verdict:
The soap creates a nice lather, though it does not explode like the Biotique. The lather is really really slick in nature and offer good glide for the razor. It lacks any moisturizing agent, but offers good protection and a decent shave at almost free prices...! What more could one want. And it has historical legacy. By the way, the back of the round (inside), has an imprint of a key. A prime product of Godrej..! Give this soap a try.

*this soap is not available in NCR for some reason. The others States seem to have it easily. Not really sure, why.

Any idea where I can get authentic Gillette DE blades - in local store (Bangalore) or online?

I'd been using SuperMax and Wilkinson blades for a long time. They give me 1 or 2 shaves, and that's fine for the price. But recently their quality has gone down a bit and now I can't even get one decent shave with those. I've tried 7 O'Clock blades and some packs give 2 good shaves per blade, whilst with other packs it's like shaving with sharp-edged cardboard.

I suspect that the blades available here may be duplicate, and that's why I'd like to try blades which are guaranteed to be authentic before looking for alternatives.
The Gillette India website doesn't have the option to buy online, and they're not available on Snapdeal or Flipkart either.

Pretty much all the blades available in India are part of the Gillette brand, including Wilkinson and Super Max. I'd like to make sure that the local blades aren't good before jumping to Feather and such.
I cannot make that judgement when I'm not sure whether the blades I'm using are counterfeit or not. I only mentioned 7 O'Clock as an example of 'premium' blades available in India.
I'm not looking for that brand in particular - any brand would do; I just want to make sure that the blade is authentic and not counterfeit.

I use Topaz, 7'Oclock, Wilkinson Sword, SuperMax. All seem good and sharp. Feather and all those imports cost way to much and raise the price equivalent to using expensive Gillette cartridges - well almost.

I use Topaz, 7'Oclock, Wilkinson Sword, SuperMax. All seem good and sharp. Feather and all those imports cost way to much and raise the price equivalent to using expensive Gillette cartridges - well almost.
Which Gillette cartridges you are talking about ?

Gillette expensive? I think they prove cheapest one fusion blade now last me for almost 3 months and I do shave daily so practically less then 2 rupees for one shave excluding the foam/soap.

They really giving ~90 shaves on one cartridge..? I remember using the Gillette Fusion. It would never last that long, to be honest.

I want u to trust me bro, had bought my last pack of 4 fusion blades from bay around mid may if I remember correctly and Im now on the 3rd blade which I changed like 10 days back.

Somehow I never need to change my Mach Fusion blades. I generally end up using the same cartridge for an year.
Even when I do refresh it, it's just for the heck of it than any real need.

I take long showers with lukewarm water, then shave with cold water afterwards.
Long lukewarm shower opens up the pores and softens the hair, cold water gets rid of dry skin flakes and prevents redness. Aftershave is a must.
I do this every other day and the stubble just slides off.

Thoroughly rinse and pat dry the cartridge with cold water immediately after use to prevent salt buildup.
If you're doing it right, your shaving kit should look store bought all the time.

Back