The wet shaving thread

So used the recent sale to stock up on all time wet shaving items. You guys have definitely turned me to a wet shaving fan. Still learning though since I am in the initial phases but the experience has been quite better compared to those gillette multi razor blades.

Still haven't fixed on the blades though that's why trying out multiple samples to see which one suits me before I decide to buy a 100 blade pack.
IMG_20191008_180624~01.jpg

So used the recent sale to stock up on all time wet shaving items. You guys have definitely turned me to a wet shaving fan. Still learning though since I am in the initial phases but the experience has been quite better compared to those gillette multi razor blades.

Still haven't fixed on the blades though that's why trying out multiple samples to see which one suits me before I decide to buy a 100 blade pack.View attachment 82424
How do you use that gilette shave gel third from right ?

I just could not figure out how to get it to lather or whatever i got was not much and so it still sits unused on my shelf many years later.

How do you use that gilette shave gel third from right ?

I just could not figure out how to get it to lather or whatever i got was not much and so it still sits unused on my shelf many years later.
Was wondering the same, from what I've read shave gels are only for cartridge shaving, so never tried, looking forward to his response.

Was wondering the same, from what I've read shave gels are only for cartridge shaving, so never tried, looking forward to his response.
Those become foam in your hand. Foam is foam, there is no distinction as to whether one is for cartridges or not.

This one remains gel and takes a lot of whipping up for not much foam :(

Last edited:
astra blades are really good. recommended.
Heard of them for years but never realised they're available locally. Works out to Rs.70 for a 5 blade pack. Reasonable price for imported blades.

The Platiinum are very smooth and long lasting. Definitely recommend :)

Stainless is cheaper and imagine will be more aggressive

Feathers run at Rs.100 for smaller offerings and are not as smooth. Hundred pack here for Rs.80 per

Last edited:
So my BSC's razor handle is refusing to open, and I can't put any new blades in it (tried hot water etc. It just won't budge).
Thought of going for open style, and got the Parker 68S. It is HEAVY. And it looks DARN SEXY !
I've been using only Feather blades till now, but since 68S is supposed to be aggressive, got the Astra SP too.
Let's see how this combo works.

So my BSC's razor handle is refusing to open, and I can't put any new blades in it (tried hot water etc. It just won't budge).
Thought of going for open style, and got the Parker 68S. It is HEAVY. And it looks DARN SEXY !
I've been using only Feather blades till now, but since 68S is supposed to be aggressive, got the Astra SP too.
Let's see how this combo works.

Update on this: Shaved twice so far. So ****ing A !
Smooth as ****. I did not expect an open comb razor to be so smooth. And the Astra SP glides like a baby's bottom. At first, I thought my technique is incorrect as I wasn't feeling anything, but the hair was getting cut to my surprise. It's comparatively smoother cutting the same hard hair areas wrt Feather blades.
Recommended.

2nd update: Parker 68S and Astra SP combo is HEAVENLY ! It's like an old friend, and wherever you take it, it won't disappoint you. Such a gem. Highly recommended.

Any one using those floating head electric shavers?
How long do the blades on those cordless electric shavers last before we have to buy a new one? i'm talking of shavers from Philips, Braun etc.

How do these shavers stack up wrt manual shavers like Gillette Mach 3 Turbo whose cartridge prices seem to be going higher and higher every year.

Any one using those floating head electric shavers?
How long do the blades on those cordless electric shavers last before we have to buy a new one? i'm talking of shavers from Philips, Braun etc.

How do these shavers stack up wrt manual shavers like Gillette Mach 3 Turbo whose cartridge prices seem to be going higher and higher every year.
I had a braun ages ago. About a year or two and then you would have to change the blade. Not the device assuming the company stocks such replacements. Course i never changed the blade and thought it was no good any more and then switched to wet shaving.

A mach 3 or even twin blade is going to be better than any electric shaver. People use electric for speed but what you get in speed you lose in closeness if that matters. Thing is this is a very gradual process. Like with the mach 3. I used the same blade for 3 months not realising it would shave less and i'd always have to shave every day. I've never used Mach 3 come to think of it. I'd have people bring me over bags of Shick 3 blade disposables from abroad and they lasted years.

A single blade will outbeat a multi blade because it can be used in different angles. I noticed i could go two days without a shave and then it dawned how lousy those multi blades were. They shave well if you change the blade more often than i did but it gets pricey to do that

A multi blade is the same angle every time and to use it in different angles means 3 blades x number of passes. At some point your skin is going to be raw.

I found multi blade prices unacceptable a decade back. Most people i know use generic two blade cartridge razors.

Double edge is just a little much for them. I have had absolutely zero traction in getting people to try out single blade razors. My doctor uses electric and then touches up with a blade razor. Not going to change.

Most people assume they know everything about the subject once out of their teens. Always go with the grain i was told. The concept of multi pass was completely unknown let alone going against the grain.

Last edited:
Talking about different angles, I just bought a Vector 3 cartridge pack cause the mach 3 turbo was not available at the chemist.

The angle of both razors are quite different. The Mach 3 turbo has an angle closer to the skin while the vector 3 has such a weird angle that you have to move the hand up at right angle to get a close shave.

Quality of the vector 3 is mediocre compared to the mach 3 turbo. It's like rubbing skin with sandpaper and makes comparable noise too while cutting even a one day stubble. Mach 3 turbo slides on the skin like butter.

Talking about different angles, I just bought a Vector 3 cartridge pack cause the mach 3 turbo was not available at the chemist.

The angle of both razors are quite different. The Mach 3 turbo has an angle closer to the skin while the vector 3 has such a weird angle that you have to move the hand up at right angle to get a close shave.

Quality of the vector 3 is mediocre compared to the mach 3 turbo. It's like rubbing skin with sandpaper and makes comparable noise too while cutting even a one day stubble. Mach 3 turbo slides on the skin like butter.
I'm referring to shave angle not blade angle. Blade angle has to do with how mild or aggressive a blade is when used. People have their personal preferences here. I prefer more mild or smooth to aggressive. My mind wanders all over the place when i shave so this is my thing. Aggressive means you better be 100% attentive and not in a rush or you're going to get cut.

By shave angle i mean you hit the beard from different angles. A with the grain pass, across the grain and against the grain.

This means going over the same area three to four times.

Clearly that won't be feasible with a multi blade razor as you will be dragging the equivalent of 9 to 12 blades over the same area. Number will be still higher with a fusion blade.

But with a double edge blade it will be just three or four times if you have your technique right and use a sharp blade. This technique part takes time to learn as you understand how your beard grows and from what direction.

Given these blades are cheaper tossing them after a few uses isn't an issue. Blunt blades can cause problems. How quickly they go blunt depends on who makes them or whether they have a special coating or not. A good prep, meaning beard is sufficiently wet and soft as opposed to less wet and tougher will get more life out of a blade. Less irritation, closer shave.

You will be able to get a better shave than what the finest barber could give you :)

Just see the prices of these triple blades.

Vector 3 is around Rs. 50 per

Mach 3 is around Rs. 120 per

Astra Platnums are Rs.14 per and these are imported. Local gillette will be still cheaper

Last edited:
2nd update: Parker 68S and Astra SP combo is HEAVENLY ! It's like an old friend, and wherever you take it, it won't disappoint you. Such a gem. Highly recommended.
How long did the Astra SP last you?

I have myself bought a 100 piece set of it and started using them and i felt the following.

The first shave was heavenly, the best shave I have ever had in my life. It cut hair like it was better. Second shave was decent, third shave onwards it started to drag and cut me at multiple places.

From the reviews I read online they say it easily lasts 7-8 shaves. My milage was no where near.

I'll get 7-8 shaves from the the Astra SP's easy. Possibly more. They get blunt very gradually. No dragging.

Quite remarkable as most of my blades tend to become uncomfortable as they get blunt

How long did the Astra SP last you?

I have myself bought a 100 piece set of it and started using them and i felt the following.

The first shave was heavenly, the best shave I have ever had in my life. It cut hair like it was better. Second shave was decent, third shave onwards it started to drag and cut me at multiple places.

From the reviews I read online they say it easily lasts 7-8 shaves. My milage was no where near.
I changed them after 5 shaves just for the heck of it. Could have used them for another couple of shaves easily.
I think you might need to alter your technique ? And make sure you do a pre shave regimen, even if it's just applying shaving cream and leaving it for 7-10 mins so that the hairs get soft.

I'll get 7-8 shaves from the the Astra SP's easy. Possibly more. They get blunt very gradually. No dragging.

Quite remarkable as most of my blades tend to become uncomfortable as they get blunt
I changed them after 5 shaves just for the heck of it. Could have used them for another couple of shaves easily.
I think you might need to alter your technique ? And make sure you do a pre shave regimen, even if it's just applying shaving cream and leaving it for 7-10 mins so that the hairs get soft.
Maybe I am doing something wrong. You guys do long deep swipes? Or shorter multiple swipes. For or against the grain?

Maybe I am doing something wrong. You guys do long deep swipes? Or shorter multiple swipes. For or against the grain?
The idea is beard reduction, multiple short passes. I don't think long or short makes a difference.

What is your prep like. I only shave after a bath.

Do you get more with any other blades ?

I do multiple short passes.

My basic prep is wet beard -- work up a lather with cream/soap in circular motion, eventually painting over the face -- wait for 7-10 minutes
Above the jawline, I do 3 passes - up to down (with the grain), lateral to medial and down to up (against the grain)
On the jawline - same as above + a medial to lateral pass too as the hair is coarser
Below the jawline - same as on the jawline + extra short passes on specific areas which have stubborn hair

With feather blades, I had to add an extra pre-shave prep - application of moisturizer (any) before lathering up. Don't need it for Astra SP.

Edit: Also make sure your angle is correct. One of the major benefits I see with Parker 68S is due to it's open comb design, it lets lather pass through. Hence if my angle is not correct, I see impressions of the razor comb on my face (instead of a smooth disappearance of lather), and immediately correct my angle and re-shave that area.

Last edited:
Back