Thermal Paste or Thermal Pad to buy for laptop and so then which one ?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Well we recently bought the mx500 1tb SSD and installed it in a hp 7th gen i5 7200u laptop. At that time we noticed that the cpu was touching min 87 and max 94 - 98 degree in temp. So we cleaned it and did the normal jugad of Colgate which did bought down the them to min 53 but the max is still same. So what can we get for this thermal outrage to controller ?

Please suggest [emoji28]

Also where can I get it online will help [emoji846]

Well we recently bought the mx500 1tb SSD and installed it in a hp 7th gen i5 7200u laptop. At that time we noticed that the cpu was touching min 87 and max 94 - 98 degree in temp. So we cleaned it and did the normal jugad of Colgate which did bought down the them to min 53 but the max is still same. So what can we get for this thermal outrage to controller ?

Please suggest [emoji28]

Also where can I get it online will help [emoji846]
The best pastes are the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the Conductonaut but the 2nd one is eletrically conductive liquid metal so applying it is a bit tricky and can kill your machine if it drips out and shorts the circuitry around the CPU socket.

Moreover they are not easily available in India.

So I use Noctua NT-H1 on my desktops which is a step below the Thermal Grizzly pastes.

Hi princeoo7,
Though thermal pads do a good job of heat transfer, they do cost a lot (about 1600Rs+) for a single pad. so instead you can use thermal paste and I too believe NT-H1 to be good in its job.

Regards
B.Life

Hi princeoo7,
Though thermal pads do a good job of heat transfer, they do cost a lot (about 1600Rs+) for a single pad. so instead you can use thermal paste and I too believe NT-H1 to be good in its job.

Regards
B.Life
If you're talking about the normal thermal pads that you see in desktop GPUs/ Motherboard VRM etc. then they are only good for lower power components like the VRM,MOSFETs etc.

CPU cooling is best left to proper thermal paste. However theres a new thing called Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut on the market which is a square graphene based film which you use on the CPU instead of sticky thermal paste.Its a couple of degrees behind the best pastes like the Conductonaut but makes up for it in ease of application and reusability.

The best pastes are the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the Conductonaut but the 2nd one is eletrically conductive liquid metal so applying it is a bit tricky and can kill your machine if it drips out and shorts the circuitry around the CPU socket.

Moreover they are not easily available in India.

So I use Noctua NT-H1 on my desktops which is a step below the Thermal Grizzly pastes.

Interesting, I did not know about NT-H1's availability here. Ive been using some Coolermaster mastergel pro till now.

Anyway FWIW the differences between thermal pastes are usually very little or negligible. Just get a good paste like the NT-H1 and you will be all set.

Hi Marcus,

If you're talking about the normal thermal pads that you see in desktop GPUs/ Motherboard VRM etc. then they are only good for lower power components like the VRM,MOSFETs etc.

CPU cooling is best left to proper thermal paste. However theres a new thing called Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut on the market which is a square graphene based film which you use on the CPU instead of sticky thermal paste.Its a couple of degrees behind the best pastes like the Conductonaut but makes up for it in ease of application and reusability.

I was not talking about the thermal pads for vram and others, but was about those that has been specifically designed for CPU's like Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad & Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut as these have almost similar thermal performance as Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I guess I should have worded it better the first time around.

Regards
B.Life

Back