OC & Modding Thermal solution for ryzen 3600

atiamd

Adept
Hey guys... As some of you might have noticed from the other thread I am going to get a ryzen 3600 from a friend. I'm giving him my ryzen 1600. And because I have a 5700xt and a 144 hz monitor my gaming needs are to maintain as high frame rates as possible. Due to which I will overclock this cpu as much as possible on asus rog strix b350f motherboard. Could you please suggest the best thermal paste and a good air CPU cooler? I'm looking at cm master gel maker nano. And hyper 212. I couldn't find any reviews online for the combo but do you know how much difference in temps there is between the wraith spire stealth and cm 212? And how much will I be able to overclock? Will the entry level aio liquid cooler like corsair h45 perform better than 212? Thanks as always guys.

Hey guys... As some of you might have noticed from the other thread I am going to get a ryzen 3600 from a friend. I'm giving him my ryzen 1600. And because I have a 5700xt and a 144 hz monitor my gaming needs are to maintain as high frame rates as possible. Due to which I will overclock this cpu as much as possible on asus rog strix b350f motherboard. Could you please suggest the best thermal paste and a good air CPU cooler? I'm looking at cm master gel maker nano. And hyper 212. I couldn't find any reviews online for the combo but do you know how much difference in temps there is between the wraith spire stealth and cm 212? And how much will I be able to overclock? Will the entry level aio liquid cooler like corsair h45 perform better than 212? Thanks as always guys.
H45 just leaves the Hyper 212 so far behind, there's not even dust for the air cooler.
It is a bit noisy though

I just found cooler master masterliquid 120mm lite which is same price and as per youtube performs better than H45.

Do these AIO coolers allowliquid change? I think not, but please confirm. And, if not, then how long can I expect this to keep working (in hours)?

I just found cooler master masterliquid 120mm lite which is same price and as per youtube performs better than H45.

Do these AIO coolers allowliquid change? I think not, but please confirm. And, if not, then how long can I expect this to keep working (in hours)?
Just install the water cooler and do your work
That's all
Use Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste or Arctic Silver thermal paste

Most AIOs don't allow liquid change. I am icky about liquid coolers after I saw a NZXT H62 destroy my friend's PC after leakage. I use a Noctua NH-U14S on my Ryzen 3900X.

I would suggest going for a good air cooler rather than a cheap 120 mm AIO. If it goes bust then you are screwed.

As for thermal paste I got the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut but it was a pain to apply so I went with my usual NT-H1.

I do have a Ryzen 7 1700+Noctua NH-U12S lying around from my retired build.
@atiamd where are you located?

Okay guys, here is the situation. So, I wanted to exchange my 1600 with a 3600 with my friend. However, when I was pulling my CPU cooler out, the CPU came out with it (winters, I guess), I bent many pins. It has never happened to me in over 15 years, but whatever. So, I was forced to purchase a brand new 3600. On the boxed cooler, I am running it stable at 4 GHz all cores, with a very slight voltage increase (which I think, I dont need, and I will play around with it more). Max temps in cinebench R20 is 75 degrees celsius, which TBH, I am surprised with. The new boxed cooler doesnt even have the copper base, so I was not expecting such good results, esp. when google is filled with high temps of Ryzen 3600. 3600 doesnt go over 4.2 anyways without increasing some serious voltage and thus increasing the TDP, so, I have decided to not buy a cooler. I may replace wraith stealth with my wraith spire, but thats it. I will OC it to 4.1 though in a while.

I also undervolted my 5700xt to 1090mv from 1200 mv. I reduced the core clock from 1925 MHz to 1901 Mhz. I lost a couple of frames here and there, but the biggest advantages are:

1. GPU temps have reduced from 70 to 60
2. Tj has reduced from 91 to 70 (yes, this is not a typo)
3. Here is the kicker. The GPU is now using 60W less at load

Check out these screenshots. I bench-marked the shadow of Tomb Raider, because its the only game so far that uses my GPU 100% at 1080p. Notice the highlight bubbles. You'll see what I am talking about. Ohh, also, dont use MSI afterburner with this card (Sapphire Pulse). I am not sure what it injects in the drivers and how it does it, but the fans never stop spinning if AB is installed. My fans dont spin until the card reaches 60 degrees C by default, and idles are around 35 to 45 depending on the time of the day.

The other games are only reaching like 90-95% with the 3600 at 1080p. Remember, my objective is not 2k for this build, its high frame rates. This build is slightly out of proportion and anybody targeting 1080p 144Hz, should pair 3600 with 2060 super at most or go with faster intel CPUs to use faster cards. Most games are unoptimized to use high refresh rates, and the competitive games that actually really benefit from high refresh rate runs at 144 FPS even with a gtx 1060. Original thread:

Attachments

• Default.png
    Default.png
    774.2 KB · Views: 94
  • UNDERVOLT.png
    UNDERVOLT.png
    730.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back