Android Thinking of buying OnePlus 5? Well Don't!

Will you still buy a OnePlus device?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://www.hihonor.com/in/support/

See if you can find any updates there. Even their high end phones get left out of security patches. All the downloads are just the stock firmware that come with the phone installed. They won't do updates because of the emui skin they have on their phones.
I am aware of the previous models support. Their code is not open like Oneplus, Different processor also.

Phone is just perfect in terms of usage, Battery life etc. I fiddled with it for like two hours nearly.

Can you list the phones released last year which have the latest security update?
Stop being fanboys.. Answer my genuine question.. why is the new model getting preferential treatment and 8 month old model with almost similar specs getting late updates?

Forget Yourself, even carl pei couldn't answer me on twitter.

Stop being fanboys.. Answer my genuine question.. why is the new model getting preferential treatment and 8 month old model with almost similar specs getting late updates?

Forget Yourself, even carl pei couldn't answer me on twitter.

Why do u think they will give preferential treatment to their older model? Their focus will definitely be on the newer one.

Having similar specs doesn't mean it's the same. The difference between the chipsets in both the phones makes it impossible to roll out the same update for both.

As for being a fanboy, I'm not. I got updates for close to a year and have a pretty stable phone. What more do u need?

Can't buy/support it start bashing it. [emoji14]

This SS is from my ONEPLUS 5 no July patch for me.
921adf47dd6a2961a933030cdf4d4e11.jpg

Last edited:
Why do u think they will give preferential treatment to their older model? Their focus will definitely be on the newer one.

Having similar specs doesn't mean it's the same. The difference between the chipsets in both the phones makes it impossible to roll out the same update for both.
Then how does Apple push updates even for the 4yrs old model including the new model.

How about Google for the pixels and nexus lineup in the same month? I like the fact that they're clear about 2yrs OS updates and security patches till 3years.

Well shame on OnePlus then. If they can't all treat customers equally, they should shut down. I'm done liking OnePlus once they Royally ducked OP2 users... People should stop supporting such companies whether chinese or korean.

I'm happy and equally shocking seeing Samsung promising updates for 2years (unofficially) even for basic smartphone like J3.

Then how does Apple push updates even for the 4yrs old model including the new model.

How about Google for the pixels and nexus lineup in the same month? I like the fact that they're clear about 2yrs OS updates and security patches till 3years.

Well shame on OnePlus then. If they can't all treat customers equally, they should shut down. I'm done liking OnePlus once they Royally ducked OP2 users... People should stop supporting such companies whether chinese or korean.

I'm happy and equally shocking seeing Samsung promising updates for 2years (unofficially) even for basic smartphone like J3.

Yes, please. Compare OnePlus to Apple, Google and Samsung! :tearsofjoy:

Oneplus has definitely grown in the last few years but is nowhere close to these behemoths when it comes to engineering teams. As for why Apple can push the same update for even a 4 year old model, well, have you used a 4 year old Apple device running the latest OS? Almost unusable.

Software updates for the heck of it don't improve your phone in any way. I can understand the hate if there was a massive bug which made the phone unusable. The phone runs perfectly fine on the current software. Why do you have this constant need to update it to the latest version? Even if you did, XDA has several ROMS which have the latest versions, security patches, features etc. Why not install them? Wasn't that one of the reasons for buying a OnePlus phone? It's easy to unlock the bootloader and install custom firmware? It's called an enthusiast phone for a reason!

Yes, please. Compare OnePlus to Apple, Google and Samsung! :tearsofjoy:

Oneplus has definitely grown in the last few years but is nowhere close to these behemoths when it comes to engineering teams. As for why Apple can push the same update for even a 4 year old model, well, have you used a 4 year old Apple device running the latest OS? Almost unusable.

Software updates for the heck of it don't improve your phone in any way. I can understand the hate if there was a massive bug which made the phone unusable. The phone runs perfectly fine on the current software. Why do you have this constant need to update it to the latest version? Even if you did, XDA has several ROMS which have the latest versions, security patches, features etc. Why not install them? Wasn't that one of the reasons for buying a OnePlus phone? It's easy to unlock the bootloader and install custom firmware? It's called an enthusiast phone for a reason!
Why not compare it With Samsung, Apple and the likes... when their own management is competing themselves with Apple and likes of Xiaomi (Dig through Google)

What about the software performance on iPhone 6,6S, Which is a 3 year old model? I do agree 5S performance is laggy.

Not everyone buys phone to flash, Do a survey and notice that mere 30% users flash the phone with a custom ROM, Everyone knows you know how to Flash ROM, Not everyone is pretty cool with it.

End of the day think (Those who have senses can!) Why it is giving preferential treatment to a newer model, History shows what they do and Did and are still doing!!

Again i say, Stop being OnePlus fanboys. Truth hurts at the end of the day!! :facepalm:

Meh. Change the vpn location to Canada and get it. Its common sense that update will hit India a week later, Its been 3 days since OTA came out.
Only u have common sense, Already checked it with that thing.

One thing I have always noticed want to know about a phone never ask a fan for it just ask the hater and they know every single thing about it without buying/using it. Hahahahah

Last edited:
Why not compare it With Samsung, Apple and the likes... when their own management is competing themselves with Apple and likes of Xiaomi (Dig through Google)

What about the software performance on iPhone 6,6S, Which is a 3 year old model? I do agree 5S performance is laggy.

Not everyone buys phone to flash, Do a survey and notice that mere 30% users flash the phone with a custom ROM, Everyone knows you know how to Flash ROM, Not everyone is pretty cool with it.

End of the day think (Those who have senses can!) Why it is giving preferential treatment to a newer model, History shows what they do and Did and are still doing!!

Again i say, Stop being OnePlus fanboys. Truth hurts at the end of the day!! :facepalm:
So what you gonna do about it..... CRIB CRIB AND CRIB, That's what u can do, I really love it when some one hate a particular brand model this thread shows it. [emoji14] [emoji14]

How about not deviate the original thread subject and not getting personal. PM me your OT bleh comments, welcomed anytime.

WRT the thread discussion , anyone can give their comments on OnePlus 5. Whether a pro or a con. If you hate it or like it.

Apple has complete control over their software. OnePlus doesn't. They have to depend on Google for the OS and can only add their optimizations.

Agreed that not everyone buys a phone to flash, but then what exactly made you buy a OnePlus phone over a Samsung or LG?

Flashing a ROM is not rocket science. Anyone who can follow instructions or watch a youtube video can do it.

As for your senses comment, let me ask you a question. If you were to release a product in the market, which one would you support more? The one which is bringing you revenue currently or the one whose sales have stopped/near stopping and is just a cost for you at this point without getting anything in return? BTW, Oneplus still hasn't ditched the OP3/T yet. Heck, they released an update just yesterday. It may have been a beta but most of their betas have been pretty good.

As for being a fanboy, trust me i'm not. I've had phones from HTC, Samsung, Nokia etc. OP3 was my first Oneplus device. It has it's own share of problems like blurry camera etc. but the irrational hate you seem to be having for the phone/brand is what I'm trying to understand.

As for your senses comment, let me ask you a question. If you were to release a product in the market, which one would you support more? The one which is bringing you revenue currently or the one whose sales have stopped/near stopping and is just a cost for you at this point without getting anything in return? BTW, Oneplus still hasn't ditched the OP3/T yet. Heck, they released an update just yesterday. It may have been a beta but most of their betas have been pretty good.
I'd Push updates to both models within a gap of 3-4 days. If that was me, In all saner way!

Oneplus hasn't ditched officially, But once you observe the update pattern its gone now to a update per 60 days, previously It was supposed to be 2 betas and 1 stable update per month, I'll leave it to you to check the present scenario.

and the best part about their old device support for OP2: https://alephsecurity.com/vulns/aleph-2017026

Without having to attend to the present complaints they prefer to go and support the latest model, Which is what i am saying through out this thread...

PS: I'm a stable update loving guy, Not a fan of beta Fuss.

Last edited:
Back