Thinking of replacing broadband with Jio hotspot

saurabh.

Disciple
So I currently have Tikona wired broadband at home. Opted plan is 10mbps unlimited. Montly rental is around 900rs. Although it looks good on paper, in actual I am not so happy with the connectivity. It slows down many times. but the main issue for me is frequent disconnection. It gets disconnected frequently and i have to wait until connection is established again. after that, sometimes I have to enter login details.
I had complained to customer service but did not see much improvement. one more issue is related to pubg game. when connected to broadband, game lags, freezes many times. even it throws me out due to connectivity issue. Its very annoying. On the other hand, i have Jio sim in my phone and connectivity is very good at home. I never face above mentioned issues on Jio internet. speed is also good. I play pubg over Jio internet mostly due to its good connectivity.
So now this made me think, why am i paying high broadband bills? why not just remove it and buy another Jio sim and hot spot device for home? I remember the days when broadband was cheap and mobile internet was too much costly. but now thanks to jio mobile internet is comparatively cheap now. although its still not cheaper than wired broadband but gap has been very much reduced. For instance their 4gb per day plan costs 509 rs with 28 days validity. Though not unlimited you still get 120gb per month. which is very much sufficient. and you can anytime do top up if required. another advantage is you can carry hot spot device anywhere and need not worry about signal reception strength as in case with conventional wifi router.
I want suggestions on these. have anybody done this? what are demerits of this setup etc. thanks in advance.

Jio sells your data, period. Thats why they can afford to sell things for cheap. Other providers do too, but the difference is JIO actively blocks VPNs.. If you don't care about privacy, then it should be ok. Mobile internet may have higher latency than wired, so please check that if you are going to use it for games.

I use a JioFi instead of wired broadband at home. For the most part it's faster and more reliable than my local providers. I've had no downtime with it, in contrast to the ~10% downtime I used to face with all the broadband providers in my area.
Another benefit is that it's got it's own battery, so I don't need to connect it to a UPS, and can place it wherever I want.
The signal from the JioFi device is strong and it has better range than my WiFi routers.
Opera VPN connects with it, as does TOR. I haven't tried other VPN's.

Latency is a bit high, and speed varies a lot depending on the placement of the JioFi device. Also around 11pm it sometimes slows down for an hour - till midnight, when the data cycle resets.
Sometimes the connection really slows down, and is unstable, but that's rare.
Support has also been good. When I complained about poor speeds, Jio said they'd installed a new tower in my area, and reached out to me 3-4 times to check if my issue was sorted out.

I use it in tandem with a data plan on my Airtel SIM which serves as a backup.

Jio sells your data, period. Thats why they can afford to sell things for cheap. Other providers do too, but the difference is JIO actively blocks VPNs.. If you don't care about privacy, then it should be ok. Mobile internet may have higher latency than wired, so please check that if you are going to use it for games.
thanks. I did not know that. what about Jio Gigafiber?

I assume you dont game.

Because the pings on Jio are going to be terrible.
I play pubg mobile on pc. Found no difference in ping rate for Jio sim and tikona broadband. but after recent game update ping rate for broadband came down to 2 digits which is good but dont know for how long. also jio internet rarely disconnects compared to broadband, which frequently disconnects. I died many times and randomly thrown out of the game due to this :p And from what i see, it is the case with every broadband. dont know why can't they provide uninterrupted service.

I use a JioFi instead of wired broadband at home. For the most part it's faster and more reliable than my local providers. I've had no downtime with it, in contrast to the ~10% downtime I used to face with all the broadband providers in my area.
Another benefit is that it's got it's own battery, so I don't need to connect it to a UPS, and can place it wherever I want.
The signal from the JioFi device is strong and it has better range than my WiFi routers.
Opera VPN connects with it, as does TOR. I haven't tried other VPN's.

Latency is a bit high, and speed varies a lot depending on the placement of the JioFi device. Also around 11pm it sometimes slows down for an hour - till midnight, when the data cycle resets.
Sometimes the connection really slows down, and is unstable, but that's rare.
Support has also been good. When I complained about poor speeds, Jio said they'd installed a new tower in my area, and reached out to me 3-4 times to check if my issue was sorted out.

I use it in tandem with a data plan on my Airtel SIM which serves as a backup.

Exactly. uninterrupted service & no downtime. mobile internet is unaffected by weather, power supply, cable damage etc.

I got hathway ispn but still recharge jio as a backup net and it never disappointed me especially to my sister and my wife who work from home. When hathway goes for a toss for as long as 8 hours either due to isp issue or due to electricity load-shedding on thursdays, jio comes to the rescue. It has never disappointed though sometimes during evening it slows down but never goes down completely like other isps.
So yes I will vote for jio just go for it.
Another major advantage, you can carry it anywhere in your pocket within or outside city to have hassle free connectivity where idea and vodafone literally suck.
And for vpns, I use many browser based vpns and it works well with all of them.
Just make sure you at least get those 3 bars of network and you are mostly good.

Meaning, We have to avoid Hathway and Den in coming days.

Wondering why everyone's against Jio Fiber? https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/aeblpo/r_please_dont_get_jio_gigafiber_and_i_have/
Not exactly. None of the fixed-line connections are trustworthy right. Some road digging or fiber cut issue and bang you are hit for few hours or a good one day or more.
Having a wireless one as a backup always makes sense or if you can afford the two fixed line connections or so.
Jio is the cheapest backup option.

Not exactly. None of the fixed-line connections are trustworthy right. Some road digging or fiber cut issue and bang you are hit for few hours or a good one day or more.
Having a wireless one as a backup always makes sense or if you can afford the two fixed line connections or so.
Jio is the cheapest backup option.
even when everything is fine, broadband is not reliable. I face disconnection issue daily. Also speed is not constant. sometimes i get good speeds and sometimes not. while gaming, internet disconnection is very annoying. Never faced this issue on jio. Would like to try Giga fiber but it is not available in my area.

Meaning, We have to avoid Hathway and Den in coming days.

Wondering why everyone's against Jio Fiber? https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/aeblpo/r_please_dont_get_jio_gigafiber_and_i_have/

I think my ISP uses jio broadband. I was having trouble connecting to Reddit from mobile but not on PC and even sites or apps would say no internet connection. I saw I had put 1' dns in pc so I started the 1' app in mobile and could then browse properly.

Seems like some thing is happening in jio to block a lot of apps and torrents etc. I ended up removing Google and and only using 1' dns in my router now to get to browse the net properly and seed torrents.

Back