Android Thoughts about K20 PRO?

It depends.
When you are young you have time for all this then fine. The raw hardware matters to you.
Once you reach a particular age when time is more important and the experience matters more than the hardware you start moving away from all this "nonsense"

So it's a individual perspective.
10 years back blocking ads through various ways would have been a enjoyable exciting experience but not now.

So I can say that there is a large market for such a device otherwise people can't sell in black on olx etc!!

Exact my thoughts ! Literally every word.

Bought a RN7Pro for dad. Even after manually disabling all ads and ad services, the damn thing still throws up random ads. I even uninstalled some apps via ADB, but **** me, the ads continue. Now dad hardly checks his notifications, so he is not bothered. Had it been, I will throwing that thing at the wall. Irritating as ****.

Last edited:
Bought a RN7Pro for dad. Even after manually disabling all ads and ad services, the damn thing still throws up random ads. I even uninstalled some apps via ADB, but **** me, the ads continue. Now dad hardly checks his notifications, so he is not bothered. Had it been, I will throwing that thing at the wall. Irritating as ****.
Yes
Exactly how I felt.
Sometimes I fail to understand how this MIUI is successful.
Then I realize most users are young.
In ten years there will be a generation Gap [emoji2958][emoji2958][emoji2958]

It depends.
When you are young you have time for all this then fine. The raw hardware matters to you.
Once you reach a particular age when time is more important and the experience matters more than the hardware you start moving away from all this "nonsense"

So it's a individual perspective.
10 years back blocking ads through various ways would have been a enjoyable exciting experience but not now.

So I can say that there is a large market for such a device otherwise people can't sell in black on olx etc!!
When did Xiaomi start pushing ads like this. I don't remember anyone complaining about it with the RN3 back in 2015 say.

I don't recall anybody said anything in the F1 thread about intrusive ads either.

It's mentioned everywhere.
In all reviews
But people seem to downplay to avoid backlash
As 99pc users will blast you on social media.
And xiaomi is one brand which helped most Indians in getting quality handsets at affordable prices.
Ads are their major revenue generator
Even I used MIUI ROMs flashed to Samsung devices, was fascinated by the themes they had.

But dunno when this ads started being made a revenue generation source

Xiaomi has officially mentioned that K20 series will not show display ads (not sure if this means all forms of ads). But I've been using the K20 pro for the past 48 hours, and I've seen zero ads till now. (I have turned off recommendations in most mi apps, and unsubscribed from the ad personalization thing). Hopefully it will stay this way.

Xiaomi has officially mentioned that K20 series will not show display ads (not sure if this means all forms of ads). But I've been using the K20 pro for the past 48 hours, and I've seen zero ads till now. (I have turned off recommendations in most mi apps, and unsubscribed from the ad personalization thing). Hopefully it will stay this way.
Loving the phone?

^agree, i don't think its worth it. Just spend the money and get an non-ad device.

I find people on forums will go through all of this just to save a few thousand. Ridiculous

not a big deal, just install a custom rom.. it will take hardly an hour but will save lot of money

not a big deal, just install a custom rom.. it will take hardly an hour but will save lot of money
Naah tried many custom ROMs on Poco f1 and I won't say everything always works.
There will be invariably app crashes, camera crashes, or some functionality missing like IR FACE UNLOCK, Hotspot etc.

Sometimes some custom ROM gives all funtionality but will have some battery drain issue or some other complaint.

Depends what kind of usage you get out of your phone.
If I miss a call from Casualty of our hospital then someone dies, so never a custom ROM unless it's my backup phone

With large screen sizes and heavy weight (170-200 gms) it is quite difficult to carry two phones plus we are getting dual VoLTE on all phones now.
Hence we want a phone that just works and doesn't irritates with stupid ads. Custom ROM, will sometime break payments, HD streaming etc etc.
K20 pro is a good phone on paper, and if doesn't shows ad it can be considered as a good buy.

There will be invariably app crashes, camera crashes, or some functionality missing like IR FACE UNLOCK, Hotspot etc.

Sometimes some custom ROM gives all funtionality but will have some battery drain issue or some other complaint.

If I miss a call from Casualty of our hospital then someone dies, so never a custom ROM unless it's my backup phone
6 months on Poco f1, 3 years on redmi note series & I didn’t know until this thread miui has ads. LineageOS works fine for me on poco, and it did on Redmi note 4,5 never had any Major crashes or issues.

Bought Poco at launch.
Custom ROMs were not stable for first 3-4 months after launch. IR face unlock didn't work.
Gcam was the primary app in custom ROMs and used to crash or features were missing.

I cannot comment about situation now.

And MIUI ads were not a feature of initial Xiaomi phones.
If you say there are no ads on MIUI then I can't say anything!

IF you say phones are great because there are custom ROMs which work for you without "MAJOR" crashes then also that's your usage pattern.
My mileage was little different though.
Even for unlocking bootloader I had to wait some 3-5 days, it was ofc irritating but for the value for money part it is unbeatable even today

lol, you can say this about googles phones too. A true character building experience.

And the weird thing is people switching to android from Ios get recommendations to try out googles phone.

Nobody talks about this aspect. You get to find out as you go.

ROM optimisation is a really difficult thing to do. I've seen this in the better battery stats app thread. If you are watching battery consumption this ends up being the limiting factor if the ROM isn't optimised.

Most people would prefer it just work. And if it comes from a big company, used to be big 4, now its less then that was a given.

With Sammy people would go with stock based roms. That won't work if stock is ads supported.

Last edited:
Been using the K20 for couple of days now and on the first day itself I blocked notifications from Mi browser, Mi video and Mi store..
I haven't seen any ads anywhere else till now..

Xiaomi had already stated that both the K20 and the K20 pro won't have intrusive ads like their budget friendly devices.
No one wants a 20k+ phone that shows ads.

Back