Thumb/Flash/Pen Drive problem

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400
RAM: 256 MB
Graphics Card: NVidia GEForce LE 256MB DDR
Motherboard: ASUS KM400

Problem Description: I recently tried to reinstall the OS as i was facing problem with the broadband. I got hold of an original WINXP Pro version and started the installation. When the screen came which requested me to choose the available partition where i like to install the OS, i accidentally chose the Transcend JetFlash (512MB) USB Flash/Thumb Drive which was there attached to my USB port. Then it formatted the drive and i didn't think seriously of the outcomes and again installed the OS in my original partitioned C Drive. But after everything has been done, when i plugged in the flash drive to the USB port the next time, even though it detected the hardware as JetFlash, but i can't save any file in it. The file system showed in its properties tells me that it is RAW. and whenevr i double click on the "Removable Disk" icon in my "My Computer" it tell me to "insert a new disk in the drive F:"..... help me out please.... are there any ways to convert RAW file system into FAT file system? Please help me out as i need to back up quite a lot of data on my drive and also its not feasible or possible for me to buy a new one, not at this time at least.......

Well i am not sure on this answer but do give it a try.

Use partition magic and try to format it to fat.

or simple when you insert the flash drive and its detected at as a flash drive
right click on the new drive in your case the f: and click on format and do
a quick format.

I am again telling you i aint sure.

You will have to get hold of a Win98SE startup floppy and run fdisk to first delete and then create the partition and then format the drive. In case you do not have this floppy look for it at www.bootdisk.com

The problem is, whenever i try formatting the drive, nothing happens. Also in some case it says unsupported file system. So, i can't format the drive when i'm inside the XP OS. I tried booting in the safe mode with command prompt and then format the same but received the same message of unsupported file system in the command window. Dunno what to do. Haven't tried with partition magic or Ranish partition manager though. will give it a try. Anybody come out with any other solutions please quote. THANX!!

ws

wastedsunsets said:
The problem is, whenever i try formatting the drive, nothing happens. Also in some case it says unsupported file system.

Most likely the partition table of the pen drive is messed up - try running fdisk from a Win98SE DOS disk and delete the current partition and make a fresh partition.

Actually there exsists "mformat" utility for "low level formatting" your "Transcend JetFlash "A" 512MB" pen drive. What is your exact model. Is it a JetFlash or JetFlash A

Identify your model here:
http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/index.asp

There is also a software for low level formatting Flash media.
http://www.compuapps.com/Products/OnBelay/onbelay.htm

You mayalso try in Windows XP
Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
right click the pen drive and try changing the drive letter to "Z" and then format the drive.
Regards.

Back