Time for a TE Watch Thread

Just for the record, I found one more difference between the K and J version's of the watch:

-The K version has the day options written in English and Spanish whereas the J version has the day options written in English and Arabic.

So the J version is actually a JDM..? Or just manufactured in Japan and sold aboard..?

So the J version is actually a JDM..? Or just manufactured in Japan and sold aboard..?

Good question mate. I dug a little further and this is what I got from a post out there on the WUS forum:

It's a common misconception that the 007J is a Japanese market model, but it's actually made for export. Most are destined for the middle east and have Arabic day wheels, but some are for other markets and have roman numerals. I emailed Higuchi once and he confirmed that they were not available to order from Seiko Japan, nor are they on the Seiko.co.jp website (no SKX divers are JDM). The differences in the dial and caseback are due to export regulations of some sort, but Seiko has declined to elaborate when asked. They are likely all made in the same place, but even if the J variant is actually produced in Japan, it's still made by the same robots used in all the other factories and the quality is the same.

Source: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/seiko-skx007k2-vs-skx007j1-only-difference-where-made-557027.html

So now that explains why my J1 version bought from Dubai earlier this year has an Arabic day wheel. There was a SKX009J1 in the same shop as well with the same Arabic day wheel.[/quote]

Good question mate. I dug a little further and this is what I got from a post out there on the WUS forum:

Source: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/seiko-skx007k2-vs-skx007j1-only-difference-where-made-557027.html

So now that explains why my J1 version bought from Dubai earlier this year has an Arabic day wheel. There was a SKX009J1 in the same shop as well with the same Arabic day wheel.

That is exactly what I wondered. A true JDM would cost much more, and not retail outside Nippon. If one wants a true JDM, they would need to import them using: Higuchi, Seiya, and Chino. People run after JDM: MM300, SBBN007, SBBN001, and of course the Seiko Grand series. Watch lovers are crazy. They will be a hefty premium to tell time using a device, exclusively made to be used in Japan..! LOL.

That is exactly what I wondered. A true JDM would cost much more, and not retail outside Nippon. If one wants a true JDM, they would need to import them using: Higuchi, Seiya, and Chino. People run after JDM: MM300, SBBN007, SBBN001, and of course the Seiko Grand series. Watch lovers are crazy. They will be a hefty premium to tell time using a device, exclusively made to be used in Japan..! LOL.

So, I guess it can be safely said then that the J1 version of the SKX007/ 009 is as close as one can get to a JDM version of the watch since a true to the word JDM version of these watches were never made by Seiko?[DOUBLEPOST=1455641554][/DOUBLEPOST]Posting a couple of more shots of my SKX007 J1...

Clear Dial Shot (with the '21 JEWELS' & 'MADE IN JAPAN' text) :
DSCF3534.jpg

^^The background used for the above photograph is from an old stamp collection book dating back to my formative years in junior school. :)

DSCF3538.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered and my buddy had received it too.
Seiko is motion wound. So how much backup does it give on idle/no movement.

Yes it's a self-winding watch. I think you should get about a good 30 hours before the watch stops if your not wearing it. I have a watch winder for it and my Orient Ray. I usually interchange between the SKX007 and the Orient Ray on weekdays so the one I'm not wearing gets slapped into the winder for the day. Keeps them running. I'll post a picture of the winder when I get back home this evening. :)

So, here's a photograph of my watch winder. It's from a company called Time Tutelary:

DSCF2373.jpg

Here's a video on Youtube on how it works:

And, here's the link from where I got it (Flipkart):

http://www.flipkart.com/time-tutelary-watch-cases-automatic-1-winder/p/itmea5gfgnmmgpvz?pid=WAWEA5GFS532YXYB&al=4kZHAwNv9WkxwpQUgv9PA8ldugMWZuE7Phn6Yd2VMSJBc3n3Es/A67eV7A4+5ZuYtBACZha/Ek8=&ref=L:-35697764639031119&srno=p_7&query=watch+winder&otracker=from-search

If you have more than one automatic/ self winding watch then this one is a nice little thing to have to have your watches running and bypasses the need to adjust your watches every time you plan on wearing them. But, if you have one solid automatic watch, say the SKX007 and plan on wearing it everyday then I say skip buying the winder because with everyday wearing the watch will run seamlessly.

It's a great watch my friend! I completely love wearing it, specially teamed with different Nato straps from my collection. This might be a fetish but I do spend quite a bit of time looking at the lovely sweeping hand of the movement across the dial. It's just so serenely relaxing. Congratulations on your new watch and wear it in good health. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1455986727][/DOUBLEPOST]Seiko SKX007J1 Lume Shot:

DSCF3253.jpg

This thing is a darn torch! Seiko has their game spot on with their 'R2' proprietary lume-blobs on this piece.

Last edited:
Now I just need some good straps to go with it. Any recommendations??

Many congratulations on the SKX007 my friend... wear it in good health! I'm glad to help. :)

You can team the watch with a good nylon Nato strap or a Nato leather strap. You could also put a good quality classic 22mm leather strap on it. The beauty of this piece from Seiko is, that it goes with a wide variety of straps in different colors. Of course, there is always the option of getting a steel Oyster bracelet from Amazon US for it if you want to go that way.

In the meantime, here is my Invicta 8928 Pro Diver taking in the balmy morning sun...

DSCF3550.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

I have a tiny wrist(6.25) , so was wondering if the 007 would be too big on my wrist ?
The other option I have is to go for the younger sibling 013. Any suggestions ?

I have a tiny wrist(6.25) , so was wondering if the 007 would be too big on my wrist ?
The other option I have is to go for the younger sibling 013. Any suggestions ?

Yes, if you like a slightly smaller dial on your wrists then you wouldn't go wrong picking the SKX013. Coming in at a 36mm dial size, a lot of people have loved it's slightly smaller footprint on their wrists.

I personally own a SKX007J1 and have loved wearing it over the years. I don't have large wrists but I really enjoy it's 42mm, lovely dial perch on, specially on NATO straps.

Last edited:
Back